Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Ancestry.com discount

Message 41 of 47

I had an Ancestry World Explorer Membership that expired a month ago. I called to renew with the 30% AARP membership for one year at $209. The agent first told me I could do that online. Not so! Told her that the site stated I had to call them for the discount. Sounded as though she might be new at this. She placed me on hold while she checked it all out. I was asked if I wanted the U.S. or World membership. So, either she was mistaken, or it looks like they may have changed their policy about the discount applying only to World Explorer. I asked if this discount was a one-time thing. She stated that I could receive it again when I call for renewal next year. Also, I said that I did not want auto-renew. She said it will not renew automatically. I'll have to remember to check back before my next renewal to see it she is correct. The agent was very pleasant and I was not given a hard time.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 42 of 47

UPDATE!  I just received my email confirmation for the renewal of my 1-year World Explorer membership.  It states that my membership WILL automatically renew at the discounted (AARP) rate for one year.  After that year expires, any renewals will then be charged at their regular standard rates.  So, it looks as though the AARP discount is only good for the first year plus one year's renewal--total of two years.  Hope this helps clarify how this discount works. Even though I requested and was assured of no auto-renew, that info was incorrect.  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Ancestry.com discount -- AARP "discount" not very real when contacting Ancestry.com

Message 43 of 47

I don't know but am also interested. Spot on about Ancestry.org charing users to upload docs, do geneaology work which apparently becomes Ancestry.org's proprietary information. Something wrong about that. First avenue to pursue with AARP for assistance? Second to chat with FamilySearch.org? When I cancelled my Ancestry subscription for lack of funds, was assured my file stayed available but it seems to be in a format I cannot use outside of Ancestry, but is perhaps accessible through familysearch.org. Perhaps we can connect directly and work out how to split this project up? 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 47
It shows the discount when you go to billing to do your credit card...
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 45 of 47

You  don't have to have AARP to get the 30% off!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 46 of 47
Is it good for only 1 year?
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 47 of 47

No. It states on the Ancestry site:  As an existing member of AARP and subscriber to Ancestry, save 30% on your next World Explorer renewal by contacting our Member Services. 

I previously had an AARP World Explorer discount and then upgraded to All Access when offered a special rate.  That year's subscription was near expiration. I called and down-graded to World Explorer and was able to again get the 30% AARP discount for the next year.

Kudos
Views