Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Retired Community Manager

ATM Smart Savings Sweepstakes

We know that saving, especially for retirement, isn’t easy! That’s why the editors of AARP The Magazine created a digital magazine all about savings and retirement. AARP The Magazine’s Special Money & Retirement digital issue is here to help you better save for what lies ahead.  Post your favorite savings tip in the discussion below. Just by posting you’ll be entered for a chance to win the grand prize of $1,000!

How to download the special Money and Retirement digital issue:

It’s easy to download the digital magazine! Click here  to read the special Money & Retirement digital issue.

Enter the sweepstakes in 2 easy steps:

1. Sign in or register on AARP.org

2. Post to the “AARP Smart Savings Sweepstakes” discussion board.

That’s it. You’ve entered the sweepstakes.

Contest ends October  1, 2016. See Official Rules and Terms of Service. Be sure to tell us what you think about the new digital magazine by completing our short survey here.

Contributor

Take advantage of senior discounts there are about 100 restaurant, retail, and grocery store chains that offer senior discounts, and some are quite generous.
0 Kudos
Contributor

Look at your product, put in your basket then put back on shelf! 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I keep a change jar and convert coins to cash which goes to my account regularly. It's amazing how quickly it grows to substantial amounts. I also give more thought and time to purchases to determine if they're things I really need or not. That has helped curb any frivolous spending - even sometimes after I've toted them through the store for a half hour but put them back before checkout. And I avoid the $1 bins near Target stores entrances!  Too tempting.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Start small with what you can do ...I adds up, believe it or not....

0 Kudos

its very hard with grown children still at home, although i only pay for utilities and the mortgage which i would be any way.  but i try to pay myself first whether large or small, it does add up.  i should be able to move in 3 years, even the kiddies are not ready i told them that when im ready, im going.

scoop

0 Kudos
Contributor

As our dear friend Ben Franklin said  "a penny saved is a penny earned".  We have upped the ante but the philosophy is still valid.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I agree. I started when I was 30. Not only placing a small amount into a savings account (which I still own) but I also designated a large, water cooler bottle, since I was 35 and have emptied and rolled more than a thousand dollars over the cours of 25 years. My plan was to simply deposit any quarters out of loose change, into the bottle. It's now a ritual and until the bottle is filled to the top, nothing comes out. When full & emptied, I roll every quarter and then deposit into my savings account. Over the years my wife and I have enjoyed special ocassions just a little bit more, thanks to my water cooler bottle!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Do not pay ATM fees. Get you cash from the bank teller.
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

In fact, don't use ATMS.  It is too easy to withdraw money.  Set up a weekly budget for spending on non-essentials, withdraw that amount weekly and use only that amount that week.  If you run out early then go without.  That way you will almost guarantee that you are saving some money and living within your means.  My wife and I have been doing it this way since we were married 44 years ago.  We both take out the same each month for personal, non-essentials, to do with what we want.  This amount includes our lunch funds for work.  It has worked marvelously and we will be able to continue to do it during retirement because our discipline has allowed us to save.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I AGREE WITH NO FEES.  I CAN GET CASH AT THE ATM AT MY BANK AT ANY TIME WITHOUT FEES.  I CAN ALSO GET CASH BACK AT MANY MERCHANTS WHEN MAKING A PURCHASE.  ALSO NO FEES.

Honored Social Butterfly

theaves wrote:
"...Do not pay ATM fees. Get you cash from the bank teller.....".

I'm with you. Never had a debit card, have never used an ATM, even for traveling overseas. There is very little need for anyone to use much cash unless you are unable to get a credit card.  We go to the bank every few months to get cash, and that's about it.  If you have the option, cash at home is far safer than using a debit card. 

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

If you will be traveling overseas, first check out your credit cards for the amount of "foreign transaction fees"; I have one card that doesn't have ANY of these fees, so that's the only one I use overseas.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakout® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP