Getty Images and AARP present the Disrupt Aging Collection, a searchable photo collection that redefines what it means to get older. Take a look.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: ATM Smart Savings Sweepstakes

Message 511 of 671

Great info!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 512 of 671

Money is a tool for needs, wants and enjoyment, choose each very carefully the results will change your life. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 513 of 671

Pay off debt - you can live on very little if you don't have debt!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 514 of 671

Make sure you make the full IRA deposit every year -it adds up!

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 515 of 671

Start your 401k or IRA with the minimum percentage you can afford.  Each year you get a pay raise, bump up your contribution by 1% until you max out.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 516 of 671

Enrol in an IRA account early in your career and start saving for your retirement.

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 517 of 671

SALUTATIONS!.... TO  ALL OF MY AARP/ RFG MEMBERS....

WELL, LET'S SEE...MY SAVINGS TIP WOULD BE ...TO MAKE A LIST OF ITEMS THAT YOU NEED FROM THE STORE....NOT WANT!  UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES ARE YOU TO DEVIATE FROM THAT LIST.  NOW LISTEN...THIS IS GONNA TAKE SOME REAL WILLPOWER. ..BECAUSE BELIEVE ME, YOU ARE GOING TO SEE THAT TASTY, NIFTY GOURMET SNACK YOU WANT TO TRY...WHICH BY THE WAY, WILL COST ON AVERAGE 3X'S OF ONE ITEM YOU HAVE ON SAID LIST.

THE GROCERS HAVE MARKETING STRATEGIES, AND KNOW EXACTLY WHERE TO PLACE THAT NIFTY BUNDLE OF 'GOODNESS' IN THE AILSE, TO MAKE SURE YOU WANT MISS IT.  CHANCES ARE, THAT ONE INDULDGING TREAT IS COMPARABLE TO TWO HEALTHY AND NUTRITIOUS DINNERS!  

THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN BE FORGIVEN IS...IF YOU GET A CALL STATING TO PUT TOILET PAPER ON THE LIST, OR SOME OTHER 'VERY' NECESSARY ITEM.  LOL...NOW, IF YOU DO THIS WITH CONSISTENCY EVERY MONTH...BELIEVE ME, YOU WILL SAVE. AND PAY WITH CASH!!!. !.LEAVE THE CHECKBOOK & THE PLASTIC AT HOME!  FOR SOME STRANGE REASON, ITS JUST WAY HARDER TO GIVE UP $100 IN CASH. THE CHECKS AND PLASTIC SEEM LIKE 'VIRTUAL' MONEY, BECAUSE YOU NEVER SEE IT IN THE STORE.  

NOW, THIS SAVINGS TIP APPLIES TO ALL FACETS OF SHOPPING AT A BRICK & MORTAR STORE. AS FOR ONLINE SHOPPING...WELL, THATS ANOTHER SERIES ON HOW TO SAVE!

UNTIL THEN MY FAB AARP/RFG FAMILY...

'           SWEET SAVINGS!'

'JOANIE'

MS. JOAN ANTOINETTE BURTON
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 518 of 671
Years ago, I always loved to buy the latest tech gadgets coming out. It was a bad mistake. Computer is one example These gadgets costed a lot but they were soon out of date because tech products evolve so fast. If we were to keep spending for the latest tech products, we would waste our money while leaving our desires unfulfilled. We should only buy items that have all the functions we need. There is no need to buy something with extra options we don't use. Same can be said about latest fashion such as clothing, shoes, and handbags. There is no need to keep up with the latest fashion trend unless we have money to burn.

About investing, we all have a tendency to spend our cash on unnecessary things while neglect important things such as saving for retirement. The best way to get rid of this habit is to "pay" yourself first. We can setup automatic investments on our IRA/brokerage account/mutual fund account by investing a set amount every month. We don't see these money. So it is less likely for us to spend it. That's how I build up my investment accounts.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 519 of 671

If someone is pushing you to buy now (on their terms, of course), then just walk away. 

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 520 of 671

exercise at least 30 minutes a day to keep the doctor away and save on medical bills.

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera

Top Authors