Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Retired Community Manager

ATM Smart Savings Sweepstakes

We know that saving, especially for retirement, isn’t easy! That’s why the editors of AARP The Magazine created a digital magazine all about savings and retirement. AARP The Magazine’s Special Money & Retirement digital issue is here to help you better save for what lies ahead.  Post your favorite savings tip in the discussion below. Just by posting you’ll be entered for a chance to win the grand prize of $1,000!

How to download the special Money and Retirement digital issue:

It’s easy to download the digital magazine! Click here  to read the special Money & Retirement digital issue.

Enter the sweepstakes in 2 easy steps:

1. Sign in or register on AARP.org

2. Post to the “AARP Smart Savings Sweepstakes” discussion board.

That’s it. You’ve entered the sweepstakes.

Contest ends October  1, 2016. See Official Rules and Terms of Service. Be sure to tell us what you think about the new digital magazine by completing our short survey here.

Contributor

I use coupons where ever I can -at the grocery store, restaurants, and online shopping.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Sell items that you never use.  Clean out the closets and drawers!  You may be surprised how much 'stuff' you no longer need.  Use it to make some extra money.

0 Kudos
Contributor

While you are still working, every time you get a raise apply half of it to your retirement savings. Your pay check will still be a bit bigger and your retirement savings will grow even faster.
0 Kudos
Contributor

Use credit cards that give extra points for certain catagories of purchasing.

0 Kudos
Contributor

We got a tv antenna instead of paying for cable tv.

0 Kudos
Contributor

sell unwanted, or unused, items on ebay or craigs list
0 Kudos
Contributor

Seniors shouldn't be paying for annual memberships to members-only warehouse clubs like Costco since they don't need to buy in bulk quantities for a household of 1 or 2. I stopped going to Costco for over 10 years have been saving money on groceries and household items by shopping the sales, special deals and using coupons. There is also less waste and spoilage on fruits and produce when only buying quantities as needed.   

0 Kudos
Contributor

We try to do everythig as inexpensively as we can.

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

There are so many ways to save. Although my home is small, I have a place for 2 bags/containers - One is for plastic water and soda type bottles have been flattened as much as possible. Recycling places even prefer you put the lids back on after flattening! That helps to put extra weight to the bag when it is time to take it to the recyclers. The other bag/container is for soda or other beverage cans - aluminum only. Flatten these as much as possible also then tie off the bags and store in a shed or other out of sight place until its convenient to take them to the recyclers. I wait until I have several bags to take all at once. It really adds up!

Some recyclers only take plastic bottles and the cans, but other recyclers will take tin cans, broken appliances - big and small as well as electronics. No need to toss that broken fan when you can just take with you on your next trip to recyclers - they pay you for your unusable stuff!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Thanks

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I do not understand your message. Was it directed @ me? Jf Anderson  

JEFFREY L. ANDERSON
0 Kudos
Contributor

I have learned so much from reading AARP online

0 Kudos
Contributor

It not much I can say everyone posted some good points.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

You call retirement a fix income. it more like a suck income. Everything goes up but my income.

@AARPLynne wrote:

We know that saving, especially for retirement, isn’t easy! That’s why the editors of AARP The Magazine created a digital magazine all about savings and retirement. AARP The Magazine’s Special Money & Retirement digital issue is here to help you better save for what lies ahead.  Post your favorite savings tip in the discussion below. Just by posting you’ll be entered for a chance to win the grand prize of $1,000!

How to download the special Money and Retirement digital issue:

It’s easy to download the digital magazine! Click here  to read the special Money & Retirement digital issue.

Enter the sweepstakes in 2 easy steps:

1. Sign in or register on AARP.org

2. Post to the “AARP Smart Savings Sweepstakes” discussion board.

That’s it. You’ve entered the sweepstakes.

Contest ends October  1, 2016. See Official Rules and Terms of Service. Be sure to tell us what you think about the new digital magazine by completing our short survey here.

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Start the earliest that you can withthe most you can.

Contributor

Wonderful information!  Keep up the good work!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Make eating out a 'special' event and limited to just a couple times a month.  You will save money, have better knowledge of what is going into your body, and afford to go somewhere a little nicer based vs spending a bunch at fast food.

Micah
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Track your net worth and watch it add up!  This is a great motivator.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Most importantly, save consistently no matter the amount. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Visit your local library to borrow books, magazines, and movies.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Visit your local library to borrow books, magazines, and movies. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Know where your money, goes. Make a list of your monthly expenses, Make a list of your monthly income.

Now ask yourself, I'm I ok with the expenses and income.

if not ok, ask what are needs and what are wants, and adjust accordingly 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I also advocate signing up for restaurant/fast food loyalty programs and special promotions for the added savings, printed coupons from online web sites, and cut out newspaper ones, also use the loyalty retail stores and grocery stores program cards for discounts and gas ones also for discounts. all a big help for saving some money.
0 Kudos

Small but mighty tips that have helped me...

1. Eat meals at home, it will save you so much money.

2. Empty your pockets or purse of the change you acquired each time you shop; save it in a jar and after it's full, roll the coins into wrappers and take it to the bank. Amazing what you can save just from change.

3. Try the $5 trick, save every $5 bill you get as change. Earmark it for Christmas shopping, or better yet, put it into your savings.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Some grocery stores give you free stuff just for shopping on certain days of the week or using their app to clip e-coupons for freebies.  Give it a try!

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I agree, not only do you save because you aren't buying spur of the moment items, you also save on gas and vehicle waew and tear.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

learned in my 50's from my Mom. She became ill and without a stitch of financial planning has lost everything.
0 Kudos
Contributor

A penny saved is one more in the bank.

Regular Contributor

Try to save at least 10% of your income.  Credit Unions pay the best on any investments.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakout® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP