Take control of your brain health with Staying Sharp! Try it today.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: ATM Smart Savings Sweepstakes

Message 631 of 671

I"ve been a member of a Credit Union for over 40 years.  Because I have automatic withdrawal to my Credit Union Savings account, I don't even miss the money.  I also am enrolled in the Credit Union's Christmas Club --- that is like Monopoly Money every year!!!!   This way, I don't charge my Christmas gifts and I don't feel like I'm spending our household money. And the advantage of the Christmas Club is you CAN'T access that money before the first week of November --- so it really is safe until you need it for your holiday shopping!  

If you start out small (I started by having $20 deducted every pay period) and gradually work your way up over the years, you'd be surprised how much you can save in a year and not even realize it!!!   I currently save $200 / month through my Credit Union and believe me, sometimes that extra cash has come in handy for unexpected emergencies.  

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 632 of 671

make it automatic

@AARPLynne wrote:

We know that saving, especially for retirement, isn’t easy! That’s why the editors of AARP The Magazine created a digital magazine all about savings and retirement. AARP The Magazine’s Special Money & Retirement digital issue is here to help you better save for what lies ahead.  Post your favorite savings tip in the discussion below. Just by posting you’ll be entered for a chance to win the grand prize of $1,000!

How to download the special Money and Retirement digital issue:

It’s easy to download the digital magazine! Click here  to read the special Money & Retirement digital issue.

Enter the sweepstakes in 2 easy steps:

1. Sign in or register on AARP.org

2. Post to the “AARP Smart Savings Sweepstakes” discussion board.

That’s it. You’ve entered the sweepstakes.

Contest ends October  1, 2016. See Official Rules and Terms of Service. Be sure to tell us what you think about the new digital magazine by completing our short survey here.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker +
Kudos
Views

Message 633 of 671
Rather than a night on the town, spend some time playing games to pass time.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 634 of 671

My husband and I have pooled and saved our spare change from all purchases over the past 40 years in a "coin jar." When the jar is full, we take the money down to the credit union and deposit it.  It's a lot easier now that most banks and credit unions have automatic coin counters - I used to do a lot of penny, nickel, dime and quarter rolling - but we will typically deposit $50-80 every few months, which amounts to $600-1000 per year plus interest in "hidden money" that we're not tempted to spend.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 635 of 671

Boy, AARP discussion boards are not friendly to get around...

I've been trying to find discussions on retirement/savings plans to help improve my retirement projection over the next 10 years.  i've got a little time, but quickly it is running out. I'm not as healthy as I was even 5 years ago, and afraid I will not be able to work to continue similar lifestyle that I currently maintain.

Would like to add a little free moola to the investment though.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 636 of 671

Thanks great read!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 637 of 671

Automatic payroll deductions to specific accounts for specific goals.  If you don't see it, you won't spend it.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 638 of 671

Get an account with a low-cost but well-known, reputable discount broker.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 639 of 671

Try to save at least 10% of your income.  Credit Unions pay the best on any investments.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 640 of 671

A penny saved is one more in the bank.

Kudos