Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Retired Community Manager

ATM Smart Savings Sweepstakes

We know that saving, especially for retirement, isn’t easy! That’s why the editors of AARP The Magazine created a digital magazine all about savings and retirement. AARP The Magazine’s Special Money & Retirement digital issue is here to help you better save for what lies ahead.  Post your favorite savings tip in the discussion below. Just by posting you’ll be entered for a chance to win the grand prize of $1,000!

How to download the special Money and Retirement digital issue:

It’s easy to download the digital magazine! Click here  to read the special Money & Retirement digital issue.

Enter the sweepstakes in 2 easy steps:

1. Sign in or register on AARP.org

2. Post to the “AARP Smart Savings Sweepstakes” discussion board.

That’s it. You’ve entered the sweepstakes.

Contest ends October  1, 2016. See Official Rules and Terms of Service. Be sure to tell us what you think about the new digital magazine by completing our short survey here.

Contributor

i have remembered my 5th grade experience of weekly saving in a school program, and being brought to the bank vault where thy showed us  a million dollars in one big pile- be cocisitent

0 Kudos
Contributor

I save about $100 a month using coupons and watch out for double couple days, but only on products that I will use.  Found a store that takes coupons for competitors as well.

0 Kudos

Its me
0 Kudos
Contributor

hope i win

0 Kudos
Contributor

Starting early, staying consistent, and taking advantage of any employer match when saving for retirement is key.  Also important to rebalance at least annually among investments in order to maintain allocations and your risk profile.  I started my 401K as soon as I was eligible at work and have been working at it for over 28 years, adjusting annually.  With any raise, I devoted as much as possible to retirement savings to build it up early.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I buy my Sub teacher wardrobe at garage sales and thrift stores!

0 Kudos
Contributor

When I am in NEED of clothing, I start watching for sales and discounts.  If the conditions don't match my needs, I will pass on the deal and wait longer.  On most occasions waiting has paid off.  It also reinforces NEEDS from WANTS.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Eat before you go food shopping.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I very much appreciate all of the helpful information I receive...thank you!
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Learn gourmet cooking.  Save money by using your cooking skills to cook your family's food instead of eating at a restaurant.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

If you are a smoker, quit the habit to improve your health and save a lot of money.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Clip coupons from the Sunday newspaper and use them! 🙂

0 Kudos
Contributor

Saving tip...no matter how tough times are always put the same amount into your savings accounts (401k, credit unions savings, etc.) Oh yeah using a credit uunion over a bank will help you in many ways in the long run!

0 Kudos
Contributor

I appreciate all the financial tips. Picked up some good ideas and things to watch for.

Paul

0 Kudos
Contributor

say it twice

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Think before you spend.  Do I really need this thing?  Is the price worth what I am getting?

0 Kudos
Contributor

This is a good strategy 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Insulate your house well include doors, windows and use insulated outlet covers. Last put your thermostat on a timer! 

Join all the free "clubs" everywhere you eat or shop and save money on purchases and receive discount coupons via e-mail. Also, take restaurant surveys when they offer $ off your next purchase

Contributor

Always mention your AARP Membership and ask for a discount.  Some places don't have it advertised.

Also ask for a "Senior duscount".  Some places let you combine them.  

If not select the best discount.

It never hurts to ask.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Walk whenever possible .Good for your health too.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Always use a shopping list at the grocery store and stick to it.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I like saving my change in a jar and getting free stuff on freebie sites.

0 Kudos

Make sure to get company match in your 401K or 403b

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Contributor

A few small things can add up....redeem your used cans and bottles; use store and manufacturers' coupons of course when shopping; and a tiny but healthy one -- go for walks, and pick up any coins you find along the side of the road, in parking lots or near stores, and collect them in a jar!

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

ask your doctor to prescribe generic medication if they are as effective as the more expensive brands.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Save all your loose change starting at the beginning of the year.  Use this money at Xmas to buy gift cards for friends and coworkers.  You want miss the money....

0 Kudos
Contributor

Using a deep discount broker is a big savings if you like to dabble in the market. Income harvesting strategies don't take much time and are a nice boost to my income.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Don't buy things you don't need. Give away the things you don't use or need. Empty draws, get rid of all those gadgets that looked good once, but now just clutter up your home. With less stuff, you will make better financial decisions.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Be smart when using coupons. Don't purchase what you don't use or need, just because there is a coupon. Price check similar item..

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP