Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Retired Community Manager

ATM Smart Savings Sweepstakes

We know that saving, especially for retirement, isn’t easy! That’s why the editors of AARP The Magazine created a digital magazine all about savings and retirement. AARP The Magazine’s Special Money & Retirement digital issue is here to help you better save for what lies ahead.  Post your favorite savings tip in the discussion below. Just by posting you’ll be entered for a chance to win the grand prize of $1,000!

How to download the special Money and Retirement digital issue:

It’s easy to download the digital magazine! Click here  to read the special Money & Retirement digital issue.

Enter the sweepstakes in 2 easy steps:

1. Sign in or register on AARP.org

2. Post to the “AARP Smart Savings Sweepstakes” discussion board.

That’s it. You’ve entered the sweepstakes.

Contest ends October  1, 2016. See Official Rules and Terms of Service. Be sure to tell us what you think about the new digital magazine by completing our short survey here.

Can't wait to win!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I embraced my salt and pepper hair!  I am only 50, but my hair is almost pure white.  Dying it at the salon was irritating to my bank account and my scalp and taking up too much valuable time!  I finally decided to embrace my natural color, and I've found that with a great cut, it looks better than it did with the dye.  I love it! I am saving about $1000 a year! 

Jolane Tomhave

0 Kudos
Contributor

Be consistent. Just keep plodding away. That is the key to building savings.
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Discipline when shopping and budgeting.
0 Kudos
Contributor

It's a no-brainer to take advantage of all the available senior discounts whenever & wherever you shop, attend events, travel, etc. I've been a member of MyPoints.com for over 10 years and earned over 100K points to redeem for various free gift cards by taking advantage of it's free program benefits. I've also been taking various surveys and product testings which also earn me cash and gift cards. I did stop being a Costco member as being a household of only one, buying by bulk is a waste of money. By educating myself of unit pricing & knowing prices of items I shop for, I can take advantage of the sales at my regular shopping places whenever sales are on. The rule of thumb is to buy only what you need and CAN use right away. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

We always say "Do we need this, or just want it?  By saving here and there, you can get that "want"  item occasionally as well!

0 Kudos
Contributor

I use digatal coupons as much as I can

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

you can't win unless you enter! Sweepstakes( like this one) help offset the money you spend. With a little bit of luck, it's a great and fun hobby!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Enter sweepstakes ((like this one) that helps offset the money you spend. Period. You must enter to win and hope you get lucky!
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Save systematically and with discipline. Start saving at the most earliest of your age/career. Don't wait till some body forces you to save. Start saving even when you are a bachelor. Doesn't matter what you save- even small amount do matter. Remember the saying 'Many drops converges to a stream'. Try to increase your savings every time you get enhancement in your wages.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Contributor

Don't spend on overpriced skin care products marketed aggressively to women of all ages. Natural ingredients are the best for your skin. Coconut oil for your face, a drop of essential oil for you hair, cucumber slices for eye puffiness, the list goes on. Do a little research and keep a lot of money in your pocket! 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I have listed about 30 or more menu options. Before going shopping i select the menus i want to use in the next two weeks. I then check what i will need to make these selections and make a list. This way i don't have to try to find something for supper every day and running to the store because i don't have everything i need or worse getting take-out. This prevents me from impulsively and randomely picking up things with no real plan. Before i would buy things i ended up not using or running to the store every couple days because i need something to complete the meal. It seems i usually picked up more than i needed because it looked good or was on sale. It works for me.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Great content & I'm trying not to live beyond my means

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

To minimize medical expenses, stay healthy with exercise and nutritious food.  Remember, health is wealth

0 Kudos
Contributor

Love the contest.
0 Kudos
Contributor

When our 4 boys were younger, we clipped coupons all the time to save money on our grocery bill.  However, as our children have gotten older, we have also gotten older.  We do not clip coupons as much as we used to; but, we go to Publix mainly for our groceries and they have great Buy One Get One Free (BOGO) sales every week where we save a lot of money.  We check the weekly circular each week before we go to the store and plan carefully before we start shopping.  As long as we stick to our plan, we do save a tremendous amount of money.

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Contributor

use coupons for everthing you can. Every bit helps.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Thanks for all the tips every body. All these little money saving ideas can add up to real savings!

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Find out if the local theater offers senior discount or lower matinee prices and go to the movies on the discount days or hours.

0 Kudos
Contributor

As You near last 12 - 15 months of Retirement. Up the percentage of Your paycheck going into Your Retirement Plan. Learn to live with a little less at the same time.

0 Kudos
Contributor

just don't spend unless it is truly and investment.
0 Kudos
Contributor

Be nice to win this sweepstakes

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have saved large amounts of money by buying only cars with excellent repair histories and then keeping them for 10-12 years. My last car had only one small repair over 11 1/2 years. I keep them well-maintained. I pay the cars off in 3-5 years and love the period of 7 years or so with no car payment!

0 Kudos
Contributor

I find that my savings increase as I become patient in my spending.  If I add some wait time before I purchase something that I want but don't need, I will end up deciding against the purchase.  For me, save first, spend later - keeps me on track.  

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Find out if your water on tap is really safe to drink and drink the tap water instead of bottled water

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Find a good repair shop for you cars.  They are usually cheeper than a dealer.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Great stuff. Keep it up folks!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Save...save...save and keep health insurance. A major health situation can devastate what you thought were adiquit savings and being set up properly. No one can predict the ultimate health cost needed might be, but I can tell you from personal experience that it can devastating. My wife suffered a ruptured brain anurisum and was life flighted to a hospital hundreds of miles away for a ten hour brain surgery. Two years of treatment and recovery were needed but she is finally back thank God. But as you can imagine it did wipe out our savings. Even with insurance. Be prepared for the unexpected. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

We are denying the urge to eat out and investing the savings. Over the months of 2016 it has worked!
Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Contributor

The digital issue is really handy. I can read it anywhere and it saves trees!

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP