Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Retired Community Manager

ATM Smart Savings Sweepstakes

We know that saving, especially for retirement, isn’t easy! That’s why the editors of AARP The Magazine created a digital magazine all about savings and retirement. AARP The Magazine’s Special Money & Retirement digital issue is here to help you better save for what lies ahead.  Post your favorite savings tip in the discussion below. Just by posting you’ll be entered for a chance to win the grand prize of $1,000!

How to download the special Money and Retirement digital issue:

It’s easy to download the digital magazine! Click here  to read the special Money & Retirement digital issue.

Enter the sweepstakes in 2 easy steps:

1. Sign in or register on AARP.org

2. Post to the “AARP Smart Savings Sweepstakes” discussion board.

That’s it. You’ve entered the sweepstakes.

Contest ends October  1, 2016. See Official Rules and Terms of Service. Be sure to tell us what you think about the new digital magazine by completing our short survey here.

Contributor

I find the whole AARP website to be slow and difficult to navigate!  It could really use some streamlining....

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

If you only use your cell phone to make calls, text, check e-mail, take photos, and do simple web browsing, drop your current plan and purchase a pay-as-you-go plan.   These are lots of plans to choose from - the one I have costs about $10 a month for 3 months.  With that I get 3g data, 600 call minutes, and 200 texts.  All unused time/data rolls over.  At the end of 3 months, I renew for another 3 months, and get 600 more minutes and 200 more texts.  For a little more money, I can increase my data. How much are you paying a month? 

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Studies have shown that owning a pet is beneficial in so many ways: mentally, emotionally, and physically.  Good health, in turn, can obviously save you money.  If you're concerned about who would care for your dog or cat, should something happen to you, set up a care plan in advance.  Or, buy a fish bowl and spend a few dollars on some guppies or goldfish.  Or maybe a couple of canaries, or a hamster. You can find cages for those little animals at garage sales or consignment shops for very little money.  You'll be amazed how much better you'll feel! 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Start saving early and never give up.  Every time you get a raise, put a portion of it into your davings.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Great contest, thanks
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I take full advantage of places I frequent by downloading their apps, signing up for the rewards clubs and I get free meals, discounted meals, gift cards, free deserts, $$$ off coupons.  I also us my fitbit and link it to many sights where I get $$$ like Walgreens and Dicks Sporting Goods.  I enter alot of sweepstakes.  Just today I got a check for $50 for an instant win; a few months ago I won a $700 underwater camera; I won a trip for four with value of $16,000, I have won jewelry, gift cards and many, many products.  I also use AARPs, sweepstakes - which I have won many giftcards, and taken advantage of the deal of the day, local offers where many times it is buy one meal get one free; i have also taken advantage of their negotiating power with discounts at Outback Steak House, Carrabas, Bonefish, etc.  The more I can save and keep in my bank account the better!  As far as ATM's - I have only used an ATM machine maybe 5-6 times in the last 10 years.  I do my monthly budget, pay bills, and only leave enough in the bank to use my debit card that keeps me in my budget - rest is transfered to savings where is it not as readily available,  I also use an app on my phone that scans the barcode at stores and it will tell me if that item is a lesser price at another local retailer.  And finally I make a grocery list, and go shopping after I have eaten a meal - that way I am not tempted to buy foods I would call "treats" and it would also make me go over my grocery budget.  Hope this helps someone

0 Kudos
Contributor

make sure yuou go to your own bank to withdraw money so you don't get charged any fees going to other banks fees add up vey quick

0 Kudos
Contributor

use coupons at the store always when you go out to eat use discount coupons also when at the grocery store try to buy only the thiings you really need and not everything you see

0 Kudos
Contributor

Start early

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Use the kind of gas your car is made for, using premium in a car made for regular wastes money.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I trade flowers, cuttings, and bulbs with family,  friends,  and neighbors.  I save money and get some great unusual and heirloom varieties. 

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Check reviews on restaurants and hotels. Sometimes a good price is not worth the bad business.
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

When the time comes to replace an air conditioner or heat pump, get an inverter type. It costs more but will save lots of money in the long run.
0 Kudos
Contributor

I like to cut coupons for myself, and keep envelopes with my kids and close friends names on them.  When I see a coupon for a product I know they've used, I tuck it in their envelope for the next time I see them.  I do the same with news and magazine articles I think might interest them - cut those out and put it in their envelope.  If I think it applies to a few of them, I save copy paper and ink by scanning and sending the article to them by email instead of copying the articles.  They've been most appreciative, and some of them have saved coupons or articles for me as well.  The best is when I can match up a store sale, coupon, and rebate for the same item and get it for a fraction of its normal cost!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Pay yourself first
0 Kudos
Contributor

Eat as many meals at home as you can, and when grocery shopping, be sure to stick to your list.  Use coupons when available for the products you normally buy.  If your local supermarket has a senior citizen's discount day, try to do all of your shopping on that day.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have been setting aside 10% of my paycheck each month for as long as I can remember.  Little bits over long periods if time do add up, especially if invested wisely.  Also, I maxed out my IRA every year, giving my money more chances to grow.  Now that I am retired and only working periodically, I can no longer get to the maximum allowed by law, but I still put in whatever I earn.  That money can still continue to grow.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Pack a lunch for work and make your coffee at home.  Huge savings per week.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I made a list of menu items for me to use daily. I selet a week or two of ideas. so before i go shopping i take invitory and write down what i need to complete these meals. They do not have to be written in stone as this list of menus is easily changed to go with your particular situation for the day. These lists help me not to do impulsive shopping

0 Kudos

Am i in?

0 Kudos
Contributor

Live below your means.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Before you buy anything, search on the internet for coupons for that vendor.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Learning to live with less can be challenging. Be sure and use all the freebies or discounts that AARP has to offer.
0 Kudos
Contributor

Take advantage of senior discounts at grocery stores and restaurants. Clip coupons to save a little extra money each week. It adds up!

0 Kudos
Contributor

SHOP AT DISCOUNT GROCERY STORES ONES THAT TAKE OVERSTOCKS, DAMAGED GOODS, ETC
0 Kudos
Contributor

Put some money in your savings account before paying other bills, shopping, etc.
0 Kudos
Contributor

TAKE ADVANTAGE OF YOUR EMPLOYERS 401K OR 403B RETIREMENT PLAN.  START BY INVESTING THE MINIMUM AMOUNT AND ADDING TO IT WHENEVER YOU CAN.  JUST GET STARTED!!!!

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Put money into your 401K at least until you get the full match from your company.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I found that a Roth IRA was the most beneficial to me now that I am 62 & able to enjoy my savings over the years ... Tax free‼️

0 Kudos

Work can be fun. So find a job that you will continue to enjoy, will make you a little cas, and best of all, pay for your medical insurance. I drive a school bus and I love it.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP