Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Retired Community Manager

ATM Smart Savings Sweepstakes

We know that saving, especially for retirement, isn’t easy! That’s why the editors of AARP The Magazine created a digital magazine all about savings and retirement. AARP The Magazine’s Special Money & Retirement digital issue is here to help you better save for what lies ahead.  Post your favorite savings tip in the discussion below. Just by posting you’ll be entered for a chance to win the grand prize of $1,000!

How to download the special Money and Retirement digital issue:

It’s easy to download the digital magazine! Click here  to read the special Money & Retirement digital issue.

Enter the sweepstakes in 2 easy steps:

1. Sign in or register on AARP.org

2. Post to the “AARP Smart Savings Sweepstakes” discussion board.

That’s it. You’ve entered the sweepstakes.

Contest ends October  1, 2016. See Official Rules and Terms of Service. Be sure to tell us what you think about the new digital magazine by completing our short survey here.

Good strategy.

0 Kudos
Contributor

We put some $ into savings every week. Coupons. Installed led lights where ever they fit. Take short showers.... It all adds up.

0 Kudos
Contributor

We save automatically every pay day, coupons and the like. It does work.

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Contributor

It's very hard to save when you live week to week but I guess I should start a little at a time.

0 Kudos
Contributor

It's very hard to save when you live week to week but I guess I should start a little at a time.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Use coupons
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Make a list of expenses, prioritize, then stick to it.  And if you use a coupon & save $5.00, then really put that $5. in savings.  

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Make a list of expenses, prioritize, then stick to it.  And if you use a coupon & save $5.00, then really put that $5. in savings.  

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos

If you just put or transfer to your savings $20 a week here is what you will have:

WEEKS           YEARS

$20.00    x      52         x         20       =     $20,800.00 (+/- depending on interest rate and your                                                                                                       willingness  not to touch the money)

$20.00    x      52         x         10       =     $10,400.00 (+/- depending on interest rate and your                                                                                                       willingness  not to touch the money)

$20.00    x      52                               =     $  1,040.00 (+/- depending on interest rate and your                                                                                                       willingness  not to touch the money)

If a person starts young, let's say at 15 (or so), just think in 20 years (age 35) they will have enough money to put down on a home.  If interest rates go down redo your mortgage, but at best try to get the mortgage paid in 35 years (before retirement) but continue to save that 20 a week and by retirement (age 65) you will have $31,200.00 and no rent/mortgage to pay.  Plus you will have you retirement money coming in where you can continue to save.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Your'e never to young to start saving for retirement.

0 Kudos
Contributor

hey
0 Kudos
Contributor

I order my pet meds online through a reputable company and it saves me alot each year.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Don't impulse buy.  If you see something you want to buy take a day to think things over. After a day has passed if you still need it and it doesn't blow your budget get it.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I had a great retirement savings account....until losing my job suddenly and having my life partner have a mental breakdown.  I couldn't even get a job for the longest time because I had to be home to keep him from doing something that would send us over the edge financially.   Now I am working again, but we went through our entire savings before I could get the boat upright again.  I will now have to work until the day I die....

0 Kudos
Contributor

You're driving along at 50 miles an hour and 1/4 mile ahead the traffic light changes to yellow or red.  Check your mirrors to see if anyone is behind you in your lane, and, if there's no other cars, take your foot off the gas and coast to the light--don't brake until you are 200 feet from the light.  The car will slow down, so when you do brake, if the light doesn't change to green, there will be less brake wear if you start when you are down to 30, rather than race to the light and brake from 50 miles per hour. 

All the time you coast, that is free mileage since your engine is just idling, People continuing at 50 to get to the light before braking are paying for gas, just to wait at a red light!

Do this whenever there is sparse traffic, and in 80 miles, you save about a half gallon of gas.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Coupons, but only get the ones  you know you'll use and not "It looks good!", both paper and digital. Freebie websites and samples. Answering surveys will earn you free $ or gift cards. Compare prices at the grocery store between name brands and store brands (which most times are just as good). Eat in, not out. Wait for the DVD to come out instead of going to the movies where you not only pay for tickets, $8.00+, but you'll want popcorn and a drink. There's lots of ways to save, but you have to work for it.

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Contributor

throw coin change in a jar 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Easier than clipping coupons - 

Tip:  if you haven't already download Wal-Mart's app.  You scan your receipts and the savings catchers compares to a variety of other adds in the area for what you purchased - if better price is found the refund to you and you can get an e-gift card whenever you like.

Contributor

Use payroll deduction for a biweekly or monthly deposit to a savings account or money market account at a bank or credit union.  You've never actually "seen" the money, so you won't miss it.  Pretend this account does not exist!  You'll be happily surprised at the end of each year with how much has accumulated. Continue to pretend it does not exist.  🙂

0 Kudos
Contributor

Tip:  if you haven't already download Wal-Mart's app.  You scan your receipts and the savings catchers compares to a variety of other adds in the area for what you purchased - if better price is found the refund to you and you can get an e-gift card whenever you like.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I started keeping a record of my purchases, used coupons, and didn't buy any thing unless it was necessary. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Eating out is a treat, not a regular activity. Otherwise, you're just pouring your money down the toilet, literally!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Up your 401k weekly election to the max as far in advance or retirement as possible.  It really adds up!

0 Kudos
Contributor

I need to save for retirement.   I do know how to shop for deals, though, because I am the mom of a very large family.  I check for coupon codes or cashback offers before I make any online purchases.  I have joined blogs that share good deals, coupons, and reviews that have been helpful to me. I recycle and repurpose.  And I use supermarket coupons, although one of the stores I shop at does not accept many of them.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Whenever you pay off monthly bill(s), don't automatically adjust your spending capital -- aha! I have more money to spend this month -- instead "keep making payments" into your retirement savings each month. After all, if you've lived without that extra cash for months/years, you can continue and chances are you'll not even miss it. You'll thank yourself later at retirement. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I think the best way to save money is to 1st examine your bills and what you are paying. Is there anything that can be reduced? Sometimes you can call, for example, a lawn care service and ask for a reduced price otherwise you will seek another service. The same goes for cable/dish/Internet services. A little assessment and work will go a long way!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Review your monthly utility statements.  Contact customer service to question any line item that you don't fully understand.  Emphasize that you want to lower your bill and will do whatever it takes (including finding a different provider) to minimize expenses... and DO it if you're not satisfied.  If more people didn't just accept the bills as gospel and challenged them, companies would be compelled to lower bills in order to retain customers.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Watsup?

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I just want to enter the contest I have nothing to contribute

0 Kudos
Contributor

Using a shuttle service to and from the airport eliminates driving, parking, and in some instances an overnight hotel stay to get to the airport on time. I've found it to be more economical except if you have a friend drop you off and pick you up.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP