Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Retired Community Manager

ATM Smart Savings Sweepstakes

We know that saving, especially for retirement, isn’t easy! That’s why the editors of AARP The Magazine created a digital magazine all about savings and retirement. AARP The Magazine’s Special Money & Retirement digital issue is here to help you better save for what lies ahead.  Post your favorite savings tip in the discussion below. Just by posting you’ll be entered for a chance to win the grand prize of $1,000!

How to download the special Money and Retirement digital issue:

It’s easy to download the digital magazine! Click here  to read the special Money & Retirement digital issue.

Enter the sweepstakes in 2 easy steps:

1. Sign in or register on AARP.org

2. Post to the “AARP Smart Savings Sweepstakes” discussion board.

That’s it. You’ve entered the sweepstakes.

Contest ends October  1, 2016. See Official Rules and Terms of Service. Be sure to tell us what you think about the new digital magazine by completing our short survey here.

Contributor

we just have two separate savings account that are automatically added to each month. One is for savings and the other is our vacation fund.
0 Kudos
Contributor

Automatic withdrawal from my paycheck, going immediately and automatically to a credit union savings account. I don't see it, so it doesn't hurt. I look at the balance and feel good about saving.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I save lots of ways: coupons, Groupons, digital coupons, loyalty rewards (grocery, credit cards that are paid off every month) and I'm lucky enough to still get an employee discount at the store where I used to work.  Now that one is a triple pleasure - I can use my cashback rewards to get a gift card to spend at the store where I used to work, buy something with my discount, then occasionally that item will have a rebate associated with it.  And it never hurts to check the weekly specials in the ads.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Everytime we get a $5.00 bill from change we put it in a box to use on our next vacation.  The last time we went we had $300.00 to spend.

Contributor

what is this sweepstakes?
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Great Sweepstakes!!!!! This would be a great start for me!!!!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Sign up for all rewards cards and programs, even fast food apps....etc. Everything helps

0 Kudos
Contributor

I'm using online coupons and discounts more and more.  My grocery store has an app with online coupons linked to my loyalty card.  It's easy and convenient to find savings, and I frequently check the app for coupons even while I'm shopping in the store.  

0 Kudos
Contributor

Start early & start small but don't let up 

0 Kudos

Always register for the senior rate when making reservations on all hotel websites.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Do the small maintenance (e.g. changing oil, filter and etc) or repairing (e.g. changing bulb, minor painting work and etc) of car by yourself will save you some good money.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Walk, bike or use public transportation as often as your circumstances permit.  You'll save on gas & wear and tear on your auto, plus you reap health benefits.

0 Kudos
Contributor

everyday throw your change into a jar and save. i always save a few hundred dollers per year by doing that

0 Kudos
Contributor

Change your attitude to "There's really nothing that I need or have to have, so no need to shop or spend money today!"

0 Kudos
Contributor

Keep expenses to a minimum. The old maxim, "A penny saved is a penny earned" is quite true.

0 Kudos
Contributor

everyday throw your change into a jar and save. i always save a few hundred dollers per year by doing that

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

So many ways to save if you just do it!

Try saving just $1 a day and at the end of the month....guess what? That's $30 ....easy! That's 1 less soda pop, 1 less candy bar, 1 less coffee from the drive-thru, 1 less cigarette...get the picture?! And actually all those things cost more than a dollar! 

Combine all of the errands you can into 1 trip instead of driving here and there wasting gas! Some days I stay at home and don't go out at all!

Happy savings people!

0 Kudos

I keep copies of all my reciepts and go through them each week so I am more conscious about what I spend. Even receipts for a cup of coffee.  Make my husband and kids do it too. Then we look at the end of the week.  Pretty eye opening.

0 Kudos
Contributor

a

0 Kudos
Contributor

Before buying anything online, wait a day.  I've found that many times my need for the item has disappeared!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I have a direct deposit savings account through the credit union in the town where I work.  I do not have a debit or credit card for it.  This way, I have to actually drive to the credit union office during regular business hours in order to withdraw money.  That's too much trouble so the money stays safely in my account and just keeps building and earning interest.  Also, I do not have the account number memorized so I would have to look it up every time.  Again, too much trouble.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Before buying anything online, wait a day.  I've found that many times my need for the item has disappeared!

0 Kudos
Contributor

a penny saved is....
0 Kudos
Contributor

Start saving early and understand the difference between need and wants.  A new car:  probably a want.  A new cell phone: probably a want.  Food, rent, utilities: probably a need.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Save 15% of your income to savings.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Always ask yourself if it is a want or a need.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Buy a freezer so that you can buy food like meat when it is on sale and freeze it.

0 Kudos
Contributor

When shopping I add up the amount I have saved from using coupons & instore discount & put that money away as savings.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Use credit cards with cash back rewards.  You can make money on your purchases.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Achieving a financially-sound retirement can be done!  The trick, no matter when you start saving, is to understand the difference between needs and wants.  Living below your means and saving in a disciplined way is essential and key.  It's not sexy or exciting to save a little bit at a time - but that's the true way to financial success.  

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP