Getty Images and AARP present the Disrupt Aging Collection, a searchable photo collection that redefines what it means to get older. Take a look.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: ATM Smart Savings Sweepstakes

Message 221 of 671
My wife and I use a credit card that gives us 2% back on everything we buy. We only use the card as a convenience and pay it off monthly. The 2% adds up and about once a year we claim it.... instant savings!
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 222 of 671

When you receive your monthly statement take your ending balance and round down to an even hundred and place difference in your savings.  i.e. ending balance is $840 then round down to $800 and place $40 and change to savings account.  when the savings amount adds up to open a cd then place funds in one in order to keep it in a savings mode.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 223 of 671

Signing up for the various vendor clubs get you additional perks but the cost is more emails in your reader.  I always try to uncheck the boax where they indicate they can send you offers.

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 224 of 671

I place all loose change in a jar from January until December and split that  between my six grandchildren for Christmas presents . I have managed to save between  $500-$600 each year.  My Christmas budget is set and I never go over what I have saved (the 3 teens all want cash or gift cards).

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 225 of 671

Loss change - seems that I have it weighing down my purse, filling my cup holder in my car or sitting here or there and never used.  Now I put all that loss change in a jar and about twice a year roll the coins and take them to the bank to be deposited into savings.  It is amazing how quickly it adds up and you realize you are saving money without really noticing it.  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 226 of 671

We always use coupons while shopping and dining out.  ALWAYS ask for the senior's discount!!!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 227 of 671

Since retiring I've looked for ways to save on our monthly expenses. Our biggest savings came from our phone service and our TV service. Our cell phones are now prepaid as apposed to contract and we're saving $90 - $110/ month. We canceled our land line phone and have local & long distance with  VOIP phone service, savings $30/month. We bought a digital antenna (cost $65) to receive free over the air tv and cancelled our satelite service. We receive all the major networks (crystal clear) plus their additional channels and we subscribe  Sling internet streaming service ($20/month) which gives us the cable channels we like that we can't get over the air. This saves us $90/month. Just changing these 3 things save us over $200/month with NO loss services we like and need.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 228 of 671

Always pay yourself 1st, start small, tuck it away & don't touch. As you accumulate buy a savings certificate that way you are not tempted to spend it. The more of the CD's you accumulate the less likely you are to spend it. If your working & they have a 401K be sure to pay into it, the max is the best  & invest the greater portion in stocks if you have enough work years left as stocks, though can fall they bounce back over time & don't panic if there's a stock correction year.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 229 of 671

I constantly review our bills, like cable and insurance and cell phones. Every couple of months I'll call and ask for a rate reduction and I usually get it. It won't happen if you don't ask!  Also as I get older I realize I don't need as much stuff. We all have accumulated to much, so I put 1-2 items a week up for sale on community websites. When something sells I'll add a new item. The extra cash us nice and so is less clutter!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 230 of 671

Take a walk on the beach (if you are so lucky to live close by).  If you are walking, you are not spending!

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera

Top Authors