From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: ATM Smart Savings Sweepstakes

Message 141 of 671

Learn what's a need & what's a want. You may need a car but you may want a brand new one. Ads constantly try to blur the line: "So-so you've got just what I need! Everything for home and you've got it for me!" Really? How many sculpted fleur-de-lis wall hangings does one need? Why would one "need" a new side table or a new set of dishes when the ones that already exist are fine? That blouse or new pair of shoes might be "on trend" but remember, in about 6 mos. they'll be "off trend". Where does it stop? Let's buy classic stuff so we don't have to replace the "on trend" that's only meant to last 6 mos. so it falls apart shortly after, forcing replacement.

Speaking of need vs. want, is it really necessary to go to Starbucks and the like? We must live, and if that's your only splurge, it might be OK. However if that exhorbitantly priced coffee is between you & your emergency fund, brew your own and cry all the way to the bank, so to speak.

When you get money, make your emergency fund your first stop. This is a cache of cash (LOL!) that keeps you out of the title loan. It works like a top too. It doesn't have to be a lot, even a dollar added will do.

At the beginning of the month, prioritize. Pay bills first then get groceries & such. (Consider the emergency fund a bill. After all you deserve it.)

I recommend saving a year's pay (I did, and unemployment made me spend it but at least it was there).

My favorite "on trend" story: Back in the day, 1976, I believe, my grandparents remodeled the house. They bought the "on trend" flooring: mustard yellow shag carpet complete with the accompanying rake, and paper flooring meant to look like green tile but I'll just say that might have been "on trend" then but I'll never know why -I didn't like it then and I liked it even less 30 yrs. later. Yes, 30 yrs.! Imagine, mustard yellow shag carpet that was only meant to last 6 mos. but is still on the floor 30 yrs. later! (Mother said it was the same color as urine). The green "tile" flooring...ewww... it didn't look good new, and it looked worse 30 yrs. on!

When she finally admitted the house didn't need a remodel as much as repair we removed it. The first stop was to move her china cabinet; I got sick looking at the difference between what had been protected by the cabinet vs. the exposed parts. I could not remove that carpet; I tried helping twice & got a nose bleed from it both times. (Sarcasm alert) What fun! (End sarcasm) It came up in little pieces because it was rotten, as did the paper "tile" flooring.

Let's skip the nose bleeds and nausea and get classic stuff that's meant to last in the first place. Flooring is SO much better these days (as are most things)that there is no need to buy such cheap, shoddy things!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

ATMSmart Savings Sweepstakes

Message 142 of 671

Anything remaining, at the end of the month/over budget expenses have been paid, goes immediately into a savings/rainy day account.  You'll be surprised how often those rainy days find that extra amount extremely helpful.

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 143 of 671
i just want entered
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 144 of 671
Very smart!
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 145 of 671

Hoping to win!  Smiley Happy

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 146 of 671

Cutting coupons is big savings. To stop impulse buying have a prepared list of needed items with you when shopping. Sign up for Birthday/Anniversary at restaurants. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 147 of 671

I use my AARP discounts everywhere possible.  I also use coupons, save when buying things on sale, eat at restaurants that provide special prices for Seniors!, always put any extra money I earn in my savings/Money Market Account, see a movie during the afternoon when prices are cheaper, and always request the senior rate.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 148 of 671

Regular savings is the key. Also, start as soon as you can. Make a plan to grow the savings, learn how to understand various investment strategies. Get help if you need it. There's no shame in asking questions; that's how we learn.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 149 of 671

I realized how much I was spending on books - even though I trade them with family and friends.  So how getting them through BookBub and RobinReads and through library book sales.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 150 of 671

savings is great thanks     ......

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera

Top Authors