Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Retired Community Manager

ATM Smart Savings Sweepstakes

We know that saving, especially for retirement, isn’t easy! That’s why the editors of AARP The Magazine created a digital magazine all about savings and retirement. AARP The Magazine’s Special Money & Retirement digital issue is here to help you better save for what lies ahead.  Post your favorite savings tip in the discussion below. Just by posting you’ll be entered for a chance to win the grand prize of $1,000!

How to download the special Money and Retirement digital issue:

It’s easy to download the digital magazine! Click here  to read the special Money & Retirement digital issue.

Enter the sweepstakes in 2 easy steps:

1. Sign in or register on AARP.org

2. Post to the “AARP Smart Savings Sweepstakes” discussion board.

That’s it. You’ve entered the sweepstakes.

Contest ends October  1, 2016. See Official Rules and Terms of Service. Be sure to tell us what you think about the new digital magazine by completing our short survey here.

Contributor

Use credit cards that offer rewards programs or points.  Just make sure you keep track of your spending so you can always pay off that credit card every month.  Finance charges are a big no-no.  Use common sense with purchases; shop at thrift stores, use coupons; groupons, etc.  Eating out is unbelievably expensive when compared to putting together your own meals. Buy only enough food you can use so waste is minimal.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have used coupons all of my life and always will. I even stack coupons with special offers when allowed.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I need $$$$.  The price of food keeps going up so I don't buy things I used to enjoy.  Now I can only buy what I need.  It's a sad situation.  And a pissy .02 % SSA COLA is not worth it, since the IRS will tax that.

A few years I used to purchase my favorite cookies at $ 3.39 a package.  I always check the price but never buy them any more.  Yesterday they were $ 5.69.  Life sucks!

Thanx for letting me vent.  I guess tonight it will be fried cat food!

DP

@AARPLynne wrote:

We know that saving, especially for retirement, isn’t easy! That’s why the editors of AARP The Magazine created a digital magazine all about savings and retirement. AARP The Magazine’s Special Money & Retirement digital issue is here to help you better save for what lies ahead.  Post your favorite savings tip in the discussion below. Just by posting you’ll be entered for a chance to win the grand prize of $1,000!

How to download the special Money and Retirement digital issue:

It’s easy to download the digital magazine to your tablet. Click here to download the AARP Publications app, then go to ‘Special Editions’ to download the special Money & Retirement digital issue.

Enter the sweepstakes in 2 easy steps:

1. Sign in or register on AARP.org

2. Post to the “AARP Smart Savings Sweepstakes” discussion board.

That’s it. You’ve entered the sweepstakes.

Contest ends October  1, 2016. See Official Rules and Terms of Service. Be sure to tell us what you think about the new digital magazine by completing our short survey here.

0 Kudos
Contributor

With every raise you get, increase your savings by some part of your raise, you will never miss it.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Put an end to impulsive buying at the Store by taking what i call a Bonus Excercise lap. During that time, make sure you Really Need everything you have in your Cart!!! Has saved me a lot of $$!!!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Put an end to impulsive buying at the Store by taking what i call a Bonus Excercise lap. During that time, make sure you Really Need everything you have in your Cart!!! Has saved me a lot of $$!!!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Get rid of cable or uverse charges, get a Leaf antenna for all the local channels, and stream Netflix at 7.95 a month for everything else.

Contributor

Automate your savings!  If your paycheck or SS is deposited directly have a certain amount go directly to savings.  Even smaller amounts can add up quickly.

0 Kudos
Contributor

My Grocery and Pharmacy (Nash-Finch) has a loyalty card (YES) that offers cents off on gasoline at a local station. The coupons are additive so I have gotten the gas for less than $1 a gallon! It pays to read the offers that you get from time to time!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

"A penny saved is a penny earned." a wise man once said.  So start saving your change today.  Get a large container /jar and throw your loose change in it.  You can also put in an extra few dollars every week. 

0 Kudos

savings is great thanks     ......

0 Kudos

I realized how much I was spending on books - even though I trade them with family and friends.  So how getting them through BookBub and RobinReads and through library book sales.

0 Kudos

Regular savings is the key. Also, start as soon as you can. Make a plan to grow the savings, learn how to understand various investment strategies. Get help if you need it. There's no shame in asking questions; that's how we learn.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I use my AARP discounts everywhere possible.  I also use coupons, save when buying things on sale, eat at restaurants that provide special prices for Seniors!, always put any extra money I earn in my savings/Money Market Account, see a movie during the afternoon when prices are cheaper, and always request the senior rate.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Cutting coupons is big savings. To stop impulse buying have a prepared list of needed items with you when shopping. Sign up for Birthday/Anniversary at restaurants. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Hoping to win!  🙂

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

i just want entered
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Anything remaining, at the end of the month/over budget expenses have been paid, goes immediately into a savings/rainy day account.  You'll be surprised how often those rainy days find that extra amount extremely helpful.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Learn what's a need & what's a want. You may need a car but you may want a brand new one. Ads constantly try to blur the line: "So-so you've got just what I need! Everything for home and you've got it for me!" Really? How many sculpted fleur-de-lis wall hangings does one need? Why would one "need" a new side table or a new set of dishes when the ones that already exist are fine? That blouse or new pair of shoes might be "on trend" but remember, in about 6 mos. they'll be "off trend". Where does it stop? Let's buy classic stuff so we don't have to replace the "on trend" that's only meant to last 6 mos. so it falls apart shortly after, forcing replacement.

Speaking of need vs. want, is it really necessary to go to Starbucks and the like? We must live, and if that's your only splurge, it might be OK. However if that exhorbitantly priced coffee is between you & your emergency fund, brew your own and cry all the way to the bank, so to speak.

When you get money, make your emergency fund your first stop. This is a cache of cash (LOL!) that keeps you out of the title loan. It works like a top too. It doesn't have to be a lot, even a dollar added will do.

At the beginning of the month, prioritize. Pay bills first then get groceries & such. (Consider the emergency fund a bill. After all you deserve it.)

I recommend saving a year's pay (I did, and unemployment made me spend it but at least it was there).

My favorite "on trend" story: Back in the day, 1976, I believe, my grandparents remodeled the house. They bought the "on trend" flooring: mustard yellow shag carpet complete with the accompanying rake, and paper flooring meant to look like green tile but I'll just say that might have been "on trend" then but I'll never know why -I didn't like it then and I liked it even less 30 yrs. later. Yes, 30 yrs.! Imagine, mustard yellow shag carpet that was only meant to last 6 mos. but is still on the floor 30 yrs. later! (Mother said it was the same color as urine). The green "tile" flooring...ewww... it didn't look good new, and it looked worse 30 yrs. on!

When she finally admitted the house didn't need a remodel as much as repair we removed it. The first stop was to move her china cabinet; I got sick looking at the difference between what had been protected by the cabinet vs. the exposed parts. I could not remove that carpet; I tried helping twice & got a nose bleed from it both times. (Sarcasm alert) What fun! (End sarcasm) It came up in little pieces because it was rotten, as did the paper "tile" flooring.

Let's skip the nose bleeds and nausea and get classic stuff that's meant to last in the first place. Flooring is SO much better these days (as are most things)that there is no need to buy such cheap, shoddy things!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Anything remaining, at the end of the month/over budget expenses have been paid, goes immediately into a savings/rainy day account.  You'll be surprised how often those rainy days find that extra amount extremely helpful.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Anything remaining, at the end of the month/over budget expenses have been paid goes immediately into a savings/rainy day account.  You'll be surprised how often those rainy days find that extra amount extremely helpful.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Take advantage of websites like www.freecycle.com where everything listed is free and be repurposing items we help the environment.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I always lived below my income and saved what I could each pay day including making sure I always got my employers full match in my 401K. This habit made it possible for me to retire comfortably at age 63.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I have money taken out of my work check before I receive it. Do not miss it and it is there in my savings!

So far so good....

0 Kudos
Contributor

SAVE GAS BY DOING ALL YOUR SHOPPING IN ONE TRIP--DOLLAR STORE, GROCERIES, BANK, ETC. !!! & use coupons

Contributor

Make sure you shop at a supermarket that will double the value of your coupons. That adds us quickly.

0 Kudos

I too am a coupon clipper, I see them as money. I also put all change away at the end of the week and roll the money at least every 6 months. I usually am pleasantly surprised at the amount. Of course recycling brings in a nice amount which I donate to an animal shelter in Utah that does great work. When I shop for clothes, I always ask myself " Do I need it or do I want it"? Depending on my financial situation at the time usually makes my decision. I don't do without, but I do think about spending money before I open my wallet. My children are grown but I have animals that need to be fed and that adds to my grocery bill, but my rationale to that is that I am taking care of some of Gods creatures and that is a good feeling, plus you can never have too much love.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Using IRA CD investments before retiring is a great way to save on taxes and increase wealth

0 Kudos

Pay yourself first by putting aside in a seperate account a specific amount each month. And / or put anything left over in that account.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I use an automatic savings draft employed by my credit union from my payroll each month. Our school system does not pay its assistant principals 12 month pay. We are paid for 11 months. It is important to save in preparation for the absent month, but also when you do not have the will power to curb spending. I recommend this method of "paying yourself" first to everyone. If it never hits your account, you play a mental game of not missing it.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP