Do vitamins and supplements really work? Get your questions answered by leading brain health experts.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: ATM Smart Savings Sweepstakes

Message 101 of 671

I use the AARP discounts as well as all the senior discounts that are offered. Everything from groceries on senior discount day, movies and restaurants like Carrabas and Outback 15% AARP discount, airlines and hotels. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 102 of 671

Many super markets have a "damaged goods" section often featuring items with little damage. And no damage at all, perhaps just things they want to sell out. Befroe I start my shopping I always check that section of the store. And find something I can use a good part of the time.

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 103 of 671

Set up separate savings accounts for items that are long term such as vacation, car insurance, new windows, etc. and then pay each of them each month just like it is a bill. The money will then be there when you are ready. Be sure to divide the time before something happens by the number of months so you can save exactly what you will need. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 104 of 671

Set up separate savings accounts for items that are long term such as vacation, car insurance, new windows, etc. and then pay each of them each month just like it is a bill. The money will then be there when you are ready. Be sure to divide the time before something happens by the number of months so you can save exactly what you will need. 

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 105 of 671

Start small with what you can do ...I adds up, believe it or not....

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 106 of 671

One of the best decisoins I 've made is to sign up for Suze Orman's "Save yourself" ideas and open a savings account. It is incredible how quickly 50 dollars a month can add upake it out of the paycheck before it hits the checking account, and put it into savings, it will never be missed!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 107 of 671

Coupons are a great savings for us as well. Put the money you save from the coupons and you will be surprised at how quickly it all adds up at years end. Mimier

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 108 of 671

I shop at Aldi, much lower prices on all food staples as well as good quality food.  I also stock up on chicken, beef, pork, fish when they are on sale.  I rarely pay full price for anything, always shop during sales and I don't buy something just to buy it, has to be a need for it.  I was able to retire early at 55 and can easily stay within my budget allowance.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 109 of 671

What a great issue!  I think learning about spending, saving, investments, etc. should be taught early.  It takes some of us awhle to truly understand and appreciate the value of being "smart" with your money.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 110 of 671

Saving through your workplace is the easiest way to save.  It is taken out of your paycheck before you ever see it so you don't miss it. Also, if they do any matching, the minimum you should save is the maximum they will match. It is the fastest and highest return you will get on your savings.  Many employers will match 25-50% of your savings which gives you the highest returns you can get.  The earlier you start the faster and higher the money will grow.  By starting with just a few dollars each pay period, your money will compound and grow for many years.  By the time of retirement, you will be surprised at how much you can have in your retirement account.

Kudos
Views