Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Retired Community Manager

ATM Smart Savings Sweepstakes

We know that saving, especially for retirement, isn’t easy! That’s why the editors of AARP The Magazine created a digital magazine all about savings and retirement. AARP The Magazine’s Special Money & Retirement digital issue is here to help you better save for what lies ahead.  Post your favorite savings tip in the discussion below. Just by posting you’ll be entered for a chance to win the grand prize of $1,000!

How to download the special Money and Retirement digital issue:

It’s easy to download the digital magazine! Click here  to read the special Money & Retirement digital issue.

Enter the sweepstakes in 2 easy steps:

1. Sign in or register on AARP.org

2. Post to the “AARP Smart Savings Sweepstakes” discussion board.

That’s it. You’ve entered the sweepstakes.

Contest ends October  1, 2016. See Official Rules and Terms of Service. Be sure to tell us what you think about the new digital magazine by completing our short survey here.

Regular Contributor

or when you're HUNGRY !

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

or HUNGRY!

0 Kudos
Contributor

I try to  buy  food  from local farmers  that  helps the local  economy  and  gives  me fresh  food. 

Local keeps money circulating in the community, and could make all the difference between having the farm, or losing it before planting next year...

There has never been a multi state "recall" on any small farmer's harvest, because they care about the crop they sell, they put it on their on tables!

0 Kudos
Contributor

this way I also know what chemicals have been used
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Buy items at estate sales.  You can often find nice things for less than what you would pay for new.

God and Country, Richard.
Regular Contributor

F A

0 Kudos
Contributor

You don't have to give up your car to use public transit, drive to the bus/train stop, save gas and bring work/reading with you. When you get to your destination, you won't be paying or worrying about parking! Less likely to get into a fender bender or have to deal with bad traffic. You get exercise walking near the stops.
Regular Contributor

AND you're helping the environment at the same time!  That's important for our grandchildren!

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

AND you're helping the environment at the same time.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Hang on to your cars.  Buying all of the time wastes money.  My cars are 12 and 8 years old.  Have not had payments for a long time.

Periodic Contributor

Unless it's a true emergency, don't spend money (especially money you don't have!) on things you don't need. This means using a credit card to get rewards, but paying it off every month so as not to pay interest; buying new (or preferable used!) cars, appliances, etc. only when you truly need to replace the old and not every time a new model comes out; sticking with basic TV/cable and cellphone plans instead of paying for features you never use; buying groceries and cooking instead of eating out; buying generics instead of name brands; etc. and so on. It's amazing how much you can save by simply subverting the dominant consumerist paradigm!

Regular Contributor

Take a lot of time planning for your retirement.  Plan both for your financial needs and what types of things you want to do in retirement.

Regular Contributor

It is possible to enjoy the planning part as much as the actual retirement.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Set up an IRA or Roth IRA. Deposit the maximum allowed as soon as possible in every year. If you haven't started one yet, look into "catch-up" contributions.

Periodic Contributor

If the ATM machine asks you to enter your pin number again don't do it, and it means thieves installed a reader to steal your information so they can steal all the money in your account.  You should use an ATM machine located inside the store, and try to avoid the ones outside.   It is harder for thieves to place scanner in it, and he or she can be seen doing it. 

Periodic Contributor

Forget about using commercial banks.  If you haven't already, open accounts at a reputable  credit union.  CUs offer great rates and lower fees.  My CU does not charge ATM usage fees when I use their machines or any ATM machines on their broad network of partner CUs and banks.  Loan rates and personal service are much better at my CUs also.

I know it's been said in several forums and by different financial advisors but I can testify to it whole heartedly!!  If you use cash when buying anything, use only dollar bills and save the change, depending on how much you buy things you will have anywhere from $500 to $1,000 at the end of the year!  I've been doing it for at least 10 years!

Contributor

eat a chocklit bar befor shoping for food it cures the sweet tooth and the hungry shopers remorse

0 Kudos

Save 1 dollar a day , each day day 1 more dollar to it .

Example

Day 1 - 1 dollar.

Day 2 -  2 dollar

Day 3 -  3 dollar

At end or the year look at what you save.  Look great!!!!:

Contributor

Very good way for new savers to start.  

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Small savings add up to a smart living style.

0 Kudos

Great idea. There is a company Accorns that will sweep the spare change difference from what you charge to the next dollar into a special account where the funds are invested and you can withdraw at any time with out a penalty.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

My tip: Don't shop when hungry.
Contributor

do't skip eating- it is a bit o fun that should na be skipped-  eat poorly instead like any fast place

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

SKIP LUNCH 

@ICEMAN63100 wrote:
My tip: Don't shop when hungry.

K.WOOD MY TIP SKIP LUNCH

0 Kudos
Contributor

Pay bills every two weeks if you are being charged interest.
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

The rules aren't posted where the link takes you.
0 Kudos
Contributor

I had difficulty finding the link.
0 Kudos
Info Seeker

Before I am tempted by an item marked down on sale or clearance, I ask myself whether or not I would purchase it at the regular price if I had the money. If the answer is 'no', I walk away. Sometimes it is difficult to resist, but that is my rule.

Marie

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP