Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Retired Community Manager

ATM Smart Savings Sweepstakes

We know that saving, especially for retirement, isn’t easy! That’s why the editors of AARP The Magazine created a digital magazine all about savings and retirement. AARP The Magazine’s Special Money & Retirement digital issue is here to help you better save for what lies ahead.  Post your favorite savings tip in the discussion below. Just by posting you’ll be entered for a chance to win the grand prize of $1,000!

How to download the special Money and Retirement digital issue:

It’s easy to download the digital magazine! Click here  to read the special Money & Retirement digital issue.

Enter the sweepstakes in 2 easy steps:

1. Sign in or register on AARP.org

2. Post to the “AARP Smart Savings Sweepstakes” discussion board.

That’s it. You’ve entered the sweepstakes.

Contest ends October  1, 2016. See Official Rules and Terms of Service. Be sure to tell us what you think about the new digital magazine by completing our short survey here.

Contributor

Start the lesson of saving early in your children's lives.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Save by shopping for items on sale, and use coupons and discounts (remember to ask for AARP discounts!). Think about the items you have and how you can use or repurpose them, or sell if you no longer need them.
0 Kudos

We save our change and then roll it ourselves when we need to cash it in.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Pay off your credit card in full every month!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Join AARP for savings!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Pay off all credit cards in full to avoid interest charges.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Pay yourself first! You will never miss the money and it grows fast.

0 Kudos
Contributor

marry well
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I also advocate signing up for restaurant/fast food loyalty programs and special promotions for the added savings coupons, periodic freebies (such as on specific dates like birthdays and anniversaries), and percentage discount deals valid for certain periods.  Yes, you'll generate more e-mail for your inbox, but you can use a secondary e-mail address for purposes of receiving these promotional offers. If you eat out fairly often, or even just occasionally, you'll save some decent bucks by being a loyalty program member.

Contributor

Pay off debt - you can live on very little if you don't have debt!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Eat at home instead of restuarants and save money.  Don't eat fastfood and stay healthier, thus saving on medical costs.

wastenot
0 Kudos
Contributor

Show your AARP member card and receive 10-15% off your entire bill at select restaurants. Use your points to purchase gift cards and use them yourself. Shop and dine on senior discount days. Not a member of Costco or Sam's Club? No worries as anyone can use their pharmacies. $$ to be saved getting your Rx's there.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Better yet, don't eat out much.  Pack a lunch for work every day and you will eat cheaper and healthier and have time left on your lunch break for a nice healthy walk!

0 Kudos
Contributor

I love to clip coupons, i also belong to several freebie sites and am always on the look out for a bargain-i have saved a tremendous amount of money over the years -getting clothing , furniture, etc at a discounted or sometimes even free price-i also use generic brands and always find a use for left overs.

Periodic Contributor

That sounds like what I do. I use store coupons and the ones that are free on the coupon websites for groceries. I never pay full price for anything except my hair!
0 Kudos
Contributor

Coupons are a great savings for us as well. Put the money you save from the coupons and you will be surprised at how quickly it all adds up at years end. Mimier

0 Kudos
Contributor

I agree...clipping coupons is a great way to save!  So is joining up to store loyalty/rewards programs--they are free of charge and grant you additional savings on purchases, gas, etc.  Also, if you belong to a warehouse club, upgrade your membership to a level where the "cash-back for purchases" level is as high as possible.  You're going to spend $$ there anyway, right?  You might as well get the proper credit for your loyalty!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Walk away from tempting advertisement for products that I really don't need and stick to the essentials while knowing where to shop for the best bargains on the things we really need and use.

Periodic Contributor

I drive an old car- not real pretty, but it's paid for. Also, auto insurance is less- liability only.

Contributor

Great idea if you regularly keep up the maintenance. Poorly running vehicles are a hazard and can be very costly.
0 Kudos
Contributor

We drive a 2002 Saturn that has only 63,900 miles on it. It's been a great car, gets great mileage and was paid off a long time ago. Our insurance costs are minimum. We love it.
0 Kudos
Contributor

I also drive an old automobile- my insurance is much lower with the older automobile. I save all my change daily for 10 months- I then use that money to assist in my purchase of holiday gifts. the amount is usually approx. $200.00 +

0 Kudos

We also drive older vehicles, saving thousands in car payments and insurance.  Make sure you have your insurance premiums reviewed at least every two years.  We did, and saved an additional $1400!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Cut down on junk food!  You'll save alot more money if you stop buying junk food.  Save the money every month.  I know it's not easy but you can do it!

Periodic Contributor

I started clipping coupons when I got married many years ago to make ends meet. Over the years, my financial situation has improved, but clipping coupons is still a huge money-saver. Not just cents-off coupons, but online coupons for many stores using Retail-me-not and other websites. Sign up for your favorite restaurant email clubs and get free meals on your birthday and a heads up on special deals. Use your AARP card and save at many retailers and restaurants! Also, entering sweepstakes often yields gift cards and coupons for products I use. There are so many ways to save online now, it's just a waste not to take advantage of the savings available to us today!

Contributor

I think you can save more by going to markets with more competitive prices. I don’t believe I can mention names here. It pays to comparison shop. I live in San Francisco but shop outside the city and save 30 percent or more on groceries without cutting a coupon. I’m not against coupons I just think my approach is less work

0 Kudos
Contributor

I used to clip every coupon all the time. I realized that I was buying things that I don't normally buy. I now only clip coupons for things that I actually use - what a money saver! 🙂

Contributor

It also saves you tons of money by not being a Costco member if you are only a household of 2 or less. I stopped being a member for nearly 10 years since I live by myself and buying bulk items gets expensive and also a waste when produce goes bad. I now save money by shopping the sales and discounts at the supermarkets, etc. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Full agree coupons and discounts save you lots of money. Walgreens balance rewards coupled with your AARP card and digital coupons also can earn you quite a discount.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I get restaurant coupons, but they're "$5 off of 2 adult meals". I can't use them as there's only 1 of me, and I eat out very seldom.
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakout® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP