Test Your Knowledge About Long-Term Care with AARP’s Long-Term Care Quiz

Community Manager

6 Ways to Keep Your Home Cool

Message 1 of 12 (907 Views)

The article 6 Ways to Keep Your Home Cool suggests cost-effective and easy measures you can take today. (My personal favorite is properly utilizing ceiling fans!)

What steps do you take during summer reduce the heat coming into your home?

Regular Social Butterfly

Re: 6 Ways to Keep Your Home Cool

Message 2 of 12 (899 Views)

The part of our house facing the backyard/pool area is mostly glass, so a lotta sun pours in.  In addition to letting the heat in - the sunlight fades the furniture,  so  we installed motorized solar screen/shades.  It keeps much of the heat/light out, yet allows us to see out perfectly, but from the outside - you cannot see inside.  We operate these with a little remote control.  They really work well!

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 12 (869 Views)

"...Turning on the stove or oven will quickly heat up the home...".

Really? The oven will do something (if you have a hood with a fan over your stove, you can mitigate the heat quite a bit). But turning the burners on the stove heats up the house? I don't think so.

Anyway, we have blinds that get closed during the day.

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 12 (847 Views)

@retiredtraveler - Some of the articles/suggestions I read aimed at seniors must have "Captain Obvious" as their author! Ironically, while seeming to "help" seniors, they must have an incredibly low opinion of our intelligence, their suggestions are so simplistic!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 12 (836 Views)

ASTRAEA wrote:

@....@retiredtraveler - Some of the articles/suggestions I read aimed at seniors must have "Captain Obvious" as their author!"....

Yes. I was thinking there might be suggestions on how to save money cooling the house. It's not true everywhere, but in Chicago area, we pay higher rates for electricity during the day.  Plus, cycling your A/C on/off uses extra power.

So our A/C stays off all day. We usually start running it about 8:00 in the evening, for several hours straight. Then it goes off for another 21 hours. Assuming one has A/C, I would encourage people to look at that.

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Respected Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 12 (835 Views)

ASTRAEA wrote:

@retiredtraveler - Some of the articles/suggestions I read aimed at seniors must have "Captain Obvious" as their author! Ironically, while seeming to "help" seniors, they must have an incredibly low opinion of our intelligence, their suggestions are so simplistic!

Woman Very HappyWoman Very Happy  Captain Obvious.  I like it!  

vita umbratilis
Info Seeker

Message 7 of 12 (591 Views)

In the Central Valley of California where we are exceeding 100 degrees our solar system allows us to cool the house to 72 degrees day and night. If I am working in the garage we prop the door open to the house and cool the garage down. We leave our AC running whether we are home or not and have not had an electric bill for years since we had our solar system installed. SCE is our utility.

Conversationalist

Message 8 of 12 (575 Views)

I just suffer!

Conversationalist

Message 9 of 12 (569 Views)

Yeah, yeah, rub it in.  I have a condo. and can't have solar.  We end paying a premium to the electric company because you guys have reduced their custormer base!

Info Seeker

Message 10 of 12 (566 Views)

I live in a 55+ Active apartment complex and my unit faces west, so fortunately I have A/C.  Close your blinds, go for a walk in the evening when it cools down, or go across the street and either work-out or relax at the YMCA in their A/C.

The heating and hot water are included in my rent and not added to my power bill.  It is a good deal.  But when my lease is up the end of September, the rent increase will be $170 a month.  Supposedly the property taxes have sky-rocketed and the residents get to carry the burden. I have never had my rent increase that much EVER!  

Most of the residents here are retired and on a fixed income.  The greed is Unbelievable!

I live in Olympia, WA.  If you contact me, I tell you the name of the complex.

Enjoy the rest of the summer!