Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Periodic Contributor

35% Car Insurance increase

Just curious. Did anyone else get a 35% increase on their auto insurance policy from Hartford?

I have had a home & auto policy with Hartford for a few years now and when my renewal policies came up my car insurance premium went from $911 (with AARP safe driving course) to $1229 annually. I've had no claims or tickets in the last three/four years. My homeowner policy only went up 5% (that sounds about right). I called to ask why and was told repair costs have gone up.

Anyone else get this increase?

Contributor

Thanks for the response.  Yes, it seems all of the insurance companies are raising premiums and most are on the same page with one another.  Supply and demand and because they can.  I did go back to my current provider (Farmers) and was able to get some reduction due to increasing my deductibles.  My original point was to state that AARP provides no discount for home or auto, just because you are a member.  So far, the only advantage I can see by being a member is local restaraunt discounts 🙂 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Amica's quote was 20% less than Hartford and with better coverage/limits.

Honored Social Butterfly

@PaulH318155 

👍 👍🏆 🏆

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

We never eat out anymore, so there's really no benefit to joining AARP for me.  I only joined last year for the Hartford Insurance, so I'll be letting AARP drop once the year is up.

0 Kudos
Contributor

That 35% hike in your auto insurance premium is quite a shock, especially with no recent claims or tickets. Insurers often cite rising repair costs as a reason for such increases. It's a common trend, but 35% is on the higher side. Have you considered comparing rates with other companies? Sometimes, shopping around can lead to better deals, especially for someone with a clean driving record like yours. It might be worth seeing if there are other discounts or changes you could make to your policy to lower that premium. What are you thinking of doing next?

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I went with State Farm which quoted me a price that was what I was paying before the increase. That was about 7 months ago. 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I went with Progressive for $570 for identical coverage in same amounts, same cars, same drivers, same address.  Hartford's cost was $1104.  One caveat for everyone switching... make sure you cancel Hartford either by phone or online several days before the coverage ends.  I had the new insurance coverage start a day sooner and set up 2 weeks before the expiration date, I wanted to be sure all bases were covered before cancelling so I wasn't left with a few days without insurance.  When I went to do it online, it wouldn't cancel other than 2 days ahead and I wasn't going to pay for 2 extra day's of coverage.  So I called them the next business day and that added yet another 2 days to when they could cancel.  I finally got it straightened out so I didn't pay extra, but I had to fax my new insurance info to them proving that I had insurance to cover the days they wanted to bill.  But it was a lot of arguing and insisting I wasn't paying anything extra beyond the policy's original term.  I've never had that issue with an insurance company before.  About a month later they sent me snail mail that I needed to sign more documents and mail it back to them.  Had they included even an envelope, I probably would have, but they didn't and I had already gone far above and beyond just to get them to cancel already.

0 Kudos

I was in the hunt for new car insurance with liberty mutual went up. I called AARP Hartford and their prices were more than the liberty mutual so I just stayed with liberty. Mutual Hartford was almost $100 more per month.

Contributor

I am new to AARP and also shopped AARP solutions to no avail.  My current provider, Farmers, is still less than anything else AARP could offer including home and auto.  Not impressed with AARP so far and that includes mobile phone provider discounts as well.

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

(3/9/24) @RevenaD424633 , good for you!!! I am with Allstate, and YES they went up BUT I didnot "waste" my time contacting Hartford.  😎

[*** @RevenaD424633 wrote:

I was in the hunt for new car insurance with liberty mutual went up. I called AARP Hartford and their prices were more than the liberty mutual so I just stayed with liberty. Mutual Hartford was almost $100 more per month. ***]

0 Kudos

The company returned 1.9 BILLION to shareholders in 2023 (see the February 2024 press release). Yet AARP is continuing to promote this company to seniors. My issue is that most of us are giving up 20+years of loyalty to another company and then hit with this predatory price increase!  

Trusted Social Butterfly

(3/8/24) @RichardM476776 , IF enough Customers REPORT Hartford, I am sure this will "affect" their business. All AARP cares about is "flooding" Members with ads they get paid to run.  😎

[*** RICHARD @RichardM476776 wrote:

The company returned 1.9 BILLION to shareholders in 2023 (see the February 2024 press release). Yet AARP is continuing to promote this company to seniors. My issue is that most of us are giving up 20+years of loyalty to another company and then hit with this predatory price increase!  ***]

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Contributor

We just received our Hartford auto renewal with a 23.6% increase and homeowners at 13.6%. The Hartford rep said that’s the way it goes but if you want to save some $ then reduce some coverages. I’m shopping. 

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Contributor

Is anyone at AARP reading these posts? You would think they might want to respond to them. 

Periodic Contributor

I just signed up for Hartford Insurance 6 months ago, prices and reviews were great.  Come renewal and it was a 43% increase.  Two seniors, 15 year old cars, pleasure driving and errands only, zero claims, accidents or tickets, excellent credit rating.  So I switched today.  I was with my last insurance company for 30 years, I'm not someone that hops around, but I'm not staying with an insane increase like that. 

I still have my renter's policy with them for another 6 months, I'm waiting for a bill from them that my renter's was based on a discount that I now lost. 

Contributor

Also spotless driving record and no claims. We received our AARP auto policy renewal from The Hartford. It went up 40% from last year ($1065 to $1486). I just got off the phone with them and their representative said they have increased that amount across the board this year. Needless to say I am now shopping for a better rate.  

Contributor

Same Here!  I just received a 40% increase in my automobile insurance rate under the AARP auto and home insurance program with The Hartford. My current year auto premium is $991 which will increase in one month, October 2023, for the next policy period to $1,426, a $435, 40% increase.  I have a Squeaky-Clean driving record for over 20 years verified by Hartford with no claims, tickets nor incidents of any kind.  I am a senior low mileage driver (for which Hartford gives no discount) with a five-year-old Ford Escape with 25 K miles.  The reason given to me for the premium increase after no problem could be found with my driving record was the increased cost of vehicle repair.  I phoned The Hartford customer service twice and informed them I was going to file a complaint with my state's Texas Department of Insurance regarding the matter.  I have done that but will be surprised if anything in my favor will result from that effort. My attitude is starting to change about people driving without adequate and/or no insurance.  

Periodic Contributor

Agreed.

Honored Social Butterfly

@bake52 wrote

I called to ask why and was told repair costs have gone up.

--------------------------------------------------------

So if you hit one of those $ 100,000+ cars - you are protected from financial ruin, right?  

What went up more - Collision / Comprehensive or Liability?

Mine, in total, went up about 20% but I don't have Hartford - and I get a really good discount because of ultra low miles driven annually.  Course my Liability Umbrella also went up since that is where I have additional UN / UNDER Insured Liability coverage to protect me more. 

Raising rates aren't necessarily connected to the insured driver directly - sometimes it is about what is going on in your area and also could be an age increase - think it is at 70 years old that there is an increase because of age.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP