Get on the Road Without Breaking the Bank – Tips on AARP Live at 10 p.m. ET. Watch Here 

Info Seeker

Re: staying sharp scam

Message 1 of 16 (8 Views)

Snuggly, You are most welcome.  Please pass the info on to your friends. 

Info Seeker

Message 2 of 16 (25 Views)

Thanks for providing a phone number! I was not impressed either and thankfully cancelled before being charged the ongoing fee!

Info Seeker

Message 3 of 16 (467 Views)

I could say the initial $5.99 was worth it, but I sincerely doubt it.  There wasn't anything particularly interesting, helpful or valuable. But for five bucks I bit the bullet and went ahead.  THEN came the $35.99 on-going fee, which was not okay with me.  There are literally dozens of "self-help brain boosting" apps online for free.  You just have to search for them, but honestly that wasn't a problem at all.  My experience with AARP was good, all I had to do was call their customer service @ 1-888-687-2277.  From reaching out for help with this charge, it was less than 5 minutes before I had my refund processed and the assurance that I would not be billed again. You can check online for the apps which will offer a huge selection of apps you may or may not like, but at least they are free and fun. 

Info Seeker

Message 4 of 16 (472 Views)

I agree with you completely.  I did subscribe to the staying sharp program but regretted it within a month. The questionable issue for me was that the program "benefits and services" were essentially non-existent.  The program wasn't particularly new or inventive, and I found literally dozens of on-line"memory boost" type of apps free of charge or membership requirements.  But I must say when I called AARP and explained my problem which was automated billing without current authorization, the rep was immediately understanding and helpful.  I was connected with a secondary agent who instantly refunded the $35.99 charge to my bank.  I think AARP can probably find an alternative program for its members, but at this time "Staying Sharp" is what's on offer.  If enough members voice their concerns over this useless and expensive program, I also believe we will see some changes for our benefits.  Thanks to the service reps at AARP who quickly resolved this issue.  

Info Seeker

Message 5 of 16 (802 Views)
Agreed 100%
Already a member and they want to soak you for more money. Seems like there is less and less value to this organization...OM.
Info Seeker

Message 6 of 16 (1,079 Views)

I just joined AARP because of their touting 'brain games' and evaluations. Right off the bat I see an additional charge plus the negative comments of other members. I am already doubting the value of this organization. Seems like they are just another money making scam outfit that's capitalizing on older Americans. Such B.S.!

Info Seeker

Message 7 of 16 (1,679 Views)

The membership fee at Staying Sharp is for the testing, exercises, and assistance with many brain functions. AARP recommends its use for those that need it. I paid the membership fee for Staying Sharp and I really like their site.

Info Seeker

Message 8 of 16 (2,726 Views)

They just charged our credit card without our authorization. I wrote them, and AARP requesting a refund. I also encouraged AARP to cancel any association they have with Staying Sharp, because of their unacceptable business practices.

Frankly, it also motivates us to review the value of our membership in AARP as well.

Info Seeker

Message 9 of 16 (3,205 Views)

I started to sign up and took the first preliminary part but then backed out because it looked fishy.  Wish I had given them my currently inactive email address.  Entries here sound like I will be getting stuff from them rather I want it or not.  I agree, Not very cool of AARP to send us to these people.  So far the best thing, other than the discounts, I've gotten from AArp is a free health tracking app for my iphone.

Community Manager

Message 10 of 16 (3,387 Views)

@n866081s 

We are sorry your experience with Staying Sharp has been frustrating to you.  Please call our membership department at -1888-687-2277 or send an email to member@aarp.org with these same specifics and they will assist in getting this issue resolved.

AARPTeri