Congress Agrees on a Tax Bill. What Does Proposed Tax Bill Mean for Older Americans? Learn More.

Community Manager

Re: Cancel Staying Sharp on this account

Message 1 of 19

@mt5153832  I have been informed that your account has been cancelled.

AARPTeri
Report Inappropriate Content
Community Manager

Re: Cancel Staying Sharp on this account

Message 2 of 19

I have forwarded your request to our membership department (member@aarp.org).  You should receive confirmation of this cancellation.

AARPTeri
Info Seeker

Cancel Staying Sharp on this account

Message 3 of 19

Please cancel the 5.99 mo charge for "staying sharp" immediately!

Info Seeker

Re: staying sharp scam

Message 4 of 19

Snuggly, You are most welcome.  Please pass the info on to your friends. 

Info Seeker

Message 5 of 19

Thanks for providing a phone number! I was not impressed either and thankfully cancelled before being charged the ongoing fee!

Info Seeker

Message 6 of 19

I could say the initial $5.99 was worth it, but I sincerely doubt it.  There wasn't anything particularly interesting, helpful or valuable. But for five bucks I bit the bullet and went ahead.  THEN came the $35.99 on-going fee, which was not okay with me.  There are literally dozens of "self-help brain boosting" apps online for free.  You just have to search for them, but honestly that wasn't a problem at all.  My experience with AARP was good, all I had to do was call their customer service @ 1-888-687-2277.  From reaching out for help with this charge, it was less than 5 minutes before I had my refund processed and the assurance that I would not be billed again. You can check online for the apps which will offer a huge selection of apps you may or may not like, but at least they are free and fun. 

Info Seeker

Message 7 of 19

I agree with you completely.  I did subscribe to the staying sharp program but regretted it within a month. The questionable issue for me was that the program "benefits and services" were essentially non-existent.  The program wasn't particularly new or inventive, and I found literally dozens of on-line"memory boost" type of apps free of charge or membership requirements.  But I must say when I called AARP and explained my problem which was automated billing without current authorization, the rep was immediately understanding and helpful.  I was connected with a secondary agent who instantly refunded the $35.99 charge to my bank.  I think AARP can probably find an alternative program for its members, but at this time "Staying Sharp" is what's on offer.  If enough members voice their concerns over this useless and expensive program, I also believe we will see some changes for our benefits.  Thanks to the service reps at AARP who quickly resolved this issue.  

Info Seeker

Message 8 of 19
Agreed 100%
Already a member and they want to soak you for more money. Seems like there is less and less value to this organization...OM.
Info Seeker

Message 9 of 19

I just joined AARP because of their touting 'brain games' and evaluations. Right off the bat I see an additional charge plus the negative comments of other members. I am already doubting the value of this organization. Seems like they are just another money making scam outfit that's capitalizing on older Americans. Such B.S.!

Info Seeker

Message 10 of 19

The membership fee at Staying Sharp is for the testing, exercises, and assistance with many brain functions. AARP recommends its use for those that need it. I paid the membership fee for Staying Sharp and I really like their site.