Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

What's your favorite brain food?

I am a big food fan, and thought it would be fun to share photos of our favorite brain foods! Below is my avocado toast with poached eggs. The monosaturated fats in avocado promote blood flow, which is beneficial for the brain. They also are a good source of omega-3s. The eggs contain vitamins B6 and B12. Eggs are also an excellent source for choline and lutein, which are important for brain development, memory, and learning.

What are your favorite brain foods?

Brain Food - Avo Toast w Egg (2).jpg

Contributor

Salmon and Sweet potato if my brain food. I LOVE LOVE IT

Super Contributor

Texas is blessed with an abundance of Lion's Mane (Hericium erinaceus) mushrooms. These have been scientifically proven to assist with memory, cognition, and alertness.

Saitsu Y, Nishide A, Kikushima K, Shimizu K, Ohnuki K. Improvement of cognitive functions by oral intake of Hericium erinaceus. Biomed Res. 2019;40(4):125-131. doi:10.2220/biomedres.40.125

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31413233/

They taste like lobster when sauteed in butter and since they grow on dead trees in the woods, hunting them gives all sorts of both exercise and the associated mental health benefits of spending time in nature. ๐Ÿ™‚

-Mark

p.s. Lion's Mane mushrooms are found from Texas all the way up into Canada. Here's a link on how to properly identify them in case you want to start hunting them, too: https://www.foragingtexas.com/2012/05/hericium-mushrooms.html

The medicine man at www.medicinemanplantco.com
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I had no ideas that avocados were considered brain foods. but I will tell you what my mother used to cook for me as a little girl and I love them "sweet breads" You don't see them in restaurants now, or anywhere that I can remember, but she saute them and breaded them and I loved them. 

no name
Community Manager
Community Manager

Lol sweetbreads ARE brain food! ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ @Roxanna35 

I live in DC and I do see them on menus here occasionally. I worked at a taco joint, and for Halloween, they served sweetbread tacos! ๐ŸŒฎ

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakoutยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP