Regular Contributor

What's the worst thing about getting old?

From losing one's memory, eyesight, hearing, digestion, mobility, et al- aging is a depressing phenomena that hits us all and the costs gets prohibitive! 

What is the worst thing about age and what can we change to make it better?

Conversationalist

When, your grandkids say Grandma, you look different!  Do I?  How is that?  What's that hanging from your arm?  Oh, that, that's my extra skin, you need that as you get older.  How come you have a lot of spots?  I must be related to the cats, since my name is cat.  How come your hair is falling out?  It's like getting a whole new hairdo, you shape, it,cut it, spray it, and voila, your new look!  How come you always say, my aching joints?  Well, your bones tell you, they need nourishment, like making a smoothie with nuts and seeds, like Tahini Milk or Almond Milk.  You get to try more items, be creative to make more joints  moving to the groovin.  Hoe come you drink all those green drinks? Ahhhh, nutritious kale, spinach, parsley, cucumber, green leaf lettuce drinks!  Oh, those make you feel alive, give you strength, make your blood run smoother, oiling your machine,feeding your brain.

Grandma, I can't wait to be like you!!

Periodic Contributor

Great answers!

0 Kudos
Contributor

The loneleness.  Waking up alone, not having someone to share a smile with, hold hands, laugh at each others jokes and itamincy.

Conversationalist

Do you have an iPad?  Or a phone? Because you can play with other people on games, text with them and enjoy life.  If you have a iPad, you can read books, yes, read books, get into another life reading them.

how about puzzles? there are hundreds of puzzles on an iPad!  All different kinds. 

Theres music, yes, music that you enjoy.  If you have kids, tell them to buy you an iPad and set it up for you.

theres  youtube, where you can listen to the forest while people go hiking.  Get some earphones too, it's a new world out there, and you will just get started.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

All these things are very nice but some of us (me) are vulnerable to these charges and pop up ads by the time the ads are done loading I forgot what I logged on for

Trusted Contributor

Amen

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Understand. Yet online dating has solved that for me. True, one must be careful, yet there are a lot of fine people and opportunities with dating sites.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I have had no good luck with dating services. The one person I did connect with give me an HPV. I was obviously not the only one he was dating. So far the men I've discovered have no desire to connect just one person. That's not who I am.

0 Kudos
Contributor

The worst is watching family and friends who are older having to suffer Alzheimer’s or dementhia and having to move into an Assisted Living Facility.  But the worst is losing them and having to go on in life without them.

Periodic Contributor

Being fortunate in health, the way people judge you because of the age number, not who you are. If I don’t tell people my age, they think I’m several years younger. I’m really sharper than most people 20 years younger.

on the other side, your joints hurt in the mornings, and the obvious stiffness, currently my only real complaint.

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

We've all known from the time we were old enough to understand death and dying that we are only in Planet Earth UNTIL our time to leave is up. Age aint nuttin' butta numba because death is no respector of age and I've seen that up close and personal during my years as a registered nurse. I've seen infants go before they were born, after they were born, pediatric kids...teens...young, middle aged, older adults...we're all only in Planet Earth until our time of departure. We didn't know we were coming, and we won't know when we're going...ONLY OUR CREATOR GOD KNOWS so just live your life...it's a gift from our Creator. Exercise your gift of life by helping others along the way. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@41454145 wrote:

From losing one's memory, eyesight, hearing, digestion, mobility, et al- aging is a depressing phenomena that hits us all and the costs gets prohibitive! 

What is the worst thing about age and what can we change to make it better?

What is the worst thing about age?

Stiff, swollen, aching joints

Failing health

The loss of friends and family members to death

The rising cost of everything

The limitation of monies on hand

Knowing that you have more years behind you than in front of you

Now, the second part of your question:  What can we change to make it better?

Remain as mobile as possible

Walk or exercise (in any form possible) every day

Try to eat as clean and healthfully as possible (eliminate the junk).

Eat quality more so than quantity.

Try to make a new friend(s) or at least associate(s) wherever and whenever possible -- to help fill in the gaps left by loved ones who've gone on.

Save now before you fully retire.  Cut back on expenses. Work a budget.

Know that minimalism isn't a bad word.

And knowing our time is limited, try to find some pleasure, peace, &/or happiness in each day; no matter how small that good thing might be.  

Live!  Live your best life possible until the inevitable happens.

Contributor

I am in good health and enjoy wonderful relationships with people of all ages. I see no disadvantages to being over 65 except the loss of my looks due to aging. Even so, there are still people who think I’m cute.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Going through this alone. I don't have children and my husband is much older than me. My fear is that I will have no one to help me as I age.  I won't have an advocate to stand up and see that I'm being taken care of when I can no longer do it for myself.

The rediculously exorbinate copays for insulin and Lyrica!!  I have to choose between eating and having a place to live, and living.  Not a balance I am winning.  It is only getting worse!!

Contributor

Well thought out affordable housing.

Gold Conversationalist

The worst thing is that your health goes down the tubes and, no matter what you do, you can’t stop it!

Regular Contributor

Ageing 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Well I thought I would not like getting older.  But I do.  The only problem are my knees.

I exercise so my knees  will not be in much pain.  Wait...weight is another problem. I find I can not lose weight the way I would like. Other than that, I am fine.

Contributor

My failing body and the stress that comes with being a caregiver to a Parkinson’s spouse. 

The constant losses of life’s pleasures. 

Contributor

Losing so many people you love