Highlighted
Contributor

Re: What's the worst thing about getting old?

Message 11 of 78
I totally agree, Mazzarano! Aches and saggy body are bad, but the way the family looks at and treats us is very hurtful. We still have our mind and thoughts and feelings. Just because we are not "hip" and "with it",
doesn't mean we don't have experience, wisdom and feelings.
Report Inappropriate Content
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Message 12 of 78

@mimi0000 wrote:

It's not being SEEN

I recently moved and attended a neighbor gathering.  

My past-life career required me to attend cocktail parties, reception so I learned to initiate conversations.  But, at this event, no one tried to talk to me so I introduced myself repeatedly. and people quickly moved on. 

I took a glass of wine...went to a corner watch and listened.  They talked about TV shows,

Makeup, innocuous topics;  I thought you don't know what you're missing, I am interesting. I raised 4 children and attended Harvard when few women did; I was an Executive when few women were.  I lobbied for the Arts and women's rights.  I'm not ugly, I'm well-groomed; have all my teeth and body parts.  I don't have bad breath,  I use deodorants, I dress stylish.  The question is: Why do they not want to chat? The answer must be: Your OLD.

SO THIS IS WHAT DISCRIMINATION FEELS LIKE!

It's their loss!  I've had similar experiences but with my own family.  I've had some unique life changing experiences while they've never left the small town we grew up in.  They're not interested in anything beyond their own front door.  Makes me sad I can't share my life with them.

Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist

Message 13 of 78

It's not being SEEN

I recently moved and attended a neighbor gathering.  

My past-life career required me to attend cocktail parties, reception so I learned to initiate conversations.  But, at this event, no one tried to talk to me so I introduced myself repeatedly. and people quickly moved on. 

I took a glass of wine...went to a corner watch and listened.  They talked about TV shows,

Makeup, innocuous topics;  I thought you don't know what you're missing, I am interesting. I raised 4 children and attended Harvard when few women did; I was an Executive when few women were.  I lobbied for the Arts and women's rights.  I'm not ugly, I'm well-groomed; have all my teeth and body parts.  I don't have bad breath,  I use deodorants, I dress stylish.  The question is: Why do they not want to chat? The answer must be: Your OLD.

SO THIS IS WHAT DISCRIMINATION FEELS LIKE!

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Message 14 of 78

Amen

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Message 15 of 78

Arthritis, eyesight failing, blood pressure, losingthechnology skills and not understanding the new tech language, slowed down.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Message 16 of 78

@MartinG987436 wrote:

You know what though, Bertie.  You're wise.  Got a lot of common sense.  Others are kicking and screaming if they have to give up their car.  And then some tragedy happens and people think, if only.  You will do the right thing and give yourself a pat on the back.

Thank you Martin!  I know what's right and wrong ~ and it's wrong to drive when your common sense says it's time to turn in the keys.  I bet you're the same way!

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Message 17 of 78

You know what though, Bertie.  You're wise.  Got a lot of common sense.  Others are kicking and screaming if they have to give up their car.  And then some tragedy happens and people think, if only.  You will do the right thing and give yourself a pat on the back.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Re: Reply: What's the worst thing about getting old?

Message 18 of 78

Very, even this web site takes so long to load but perhaps I got accustimed to instant Smiley Wink

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Message 19 of 78

All these things are very nice but some of us (me) are vulnerable to these charges and pop up ads by the time the ads are done loading I forgot what I logged on for

Highlighted
Conversationalist

Message 20 of 78

Do you have an iPad?  Or a phone? Because you can play with other people on games, text with them and enjoy life.  If you have a iPad, you can read books, yes, read books, get into another life reading them.

how about puzzles? there are hundreds of puzzles on an iPad!  All different kinds. 

Theres music, yes, music that you enjoy.  If you have kids, tell them to buy you an iPad and set it up for you.

theres  youtube, where you can listen to the forest while people go hiking.  Get some earphones too, it's a new world out there, and you will just get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a health tip to share or a health question to ask? Check out the Health Tips forum today