Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

What's the worst thing about getting old?

Regular Contributor

What's the worst thing about getting old?

From losing one's memory, eyesight, hearing, digestion, mobility, et al- aging is a depressing phenomena that hits us all and the costs gets prohibitive! 

What is the worst thing about age and what can we change to make it better?

Regular Contributor

I have had no good luck with dating services. The one person I did connect with give me an HPV. I was obviously not the only one he was dating. So far the men I've discovered have no desire to connect just one person. That's not who I am.

Contributor

The worst is watching family and friends who are older having to suffer Alzheimerโ€™s or dementhia and having to move into an Assisted Living Facility.  But the worst is losing them and having to go on in life without them.

Regular Contributor

Being fortunate in health, the way people judge you because of the age number, not who you are. If I donโ€™t tell people my age, they think Iโ€™m several years younger. Iโ€™m really sharper than most people 20 years younger.

on the other side, your joints hurt in the mornings, and the obvious stiffness, currently my only real complaint.

Super Contributor

We've all known from the time we were old enough to understand death and dying that we are only in Planet Earth UNTIL our time to leave is up. Age aint nuttin' butta numba because death is no respector of age and I've seen that up close and personal during my years as a registered nurse. I've seen infants go before they were born, after they were born, pediatric kids...teens...young, middle aged, older adults...we're all only in Planet Earth until our time of departure. We didn't know we were coming, and we won't know when we're going...ONLY OUR CREATOR GOD KNOWS so just live your life...it's a gift from our Creator. Exercise your gift of life by helping others along the way. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@4176jp wrote:

From losing one's memory, eyesight, hearing, digestion, mobility, et al- aging is a depressing phenomena that hits us all and the costs gets prohibitive! 

What is the worst thing about age and what can we change to make it better?

What is the worst thing about age?

Stiff, swollen, aching joints

Failing health

The loss of friends and family members to death

The rising cost of everything

The limitation of monies on hand

Knowing that you have more years behind you than in front of you

Now, the second part of your question:  What can we change to make it better?

Remain as mobile as possible

Walk or exercise (in any form possible) every day

Try to eat as clean and healthfully as possible (eliminate the junk).

Eat quality more so than quantity.

Try to make a new friend(s) or at least associate(s) wherever and whenever possible -- to help fill in the gaps left by loved ones who've gone on.

Save now before you fully retire.  Cut back on expenses. Work a budget.

Know that minimalism isn't a bad word.

And knowing our time is limited, try to find some pleasure, peace, &/or happiness in each day; no matter how small that good thing might be.  

Live!  Live your best life possible until the inevitable happens.

Contributor

I am in good health and enjoy wonderful relationships with people of all ages. I see no disadvantages to being over 65 except the loss of my looks due to aging. Even so, there are still people who think Iโ€™m cute.

Contributor

Going through this alone. I don't have children and my husband is much older than me. My fear is that I will have no one to help me as I age.  I won't have an advocate to stand up and see that I'm being taken care of when I can no longer do it for myself.

The rediculously exorbinate copays for insulin and Lyrica!!  I have to choose between eating and having a place to live, and living.  Not a balance I am winning.  It is only getting worse!!

Contributor

Well thought out affordable housing.

Social Butterfly

The worst thing is that your health goes down the tubes and, no matter what you do, you canโ€™t stop it!

Regular Contributor

Ageing 

Periodic Contributor

Well I thought I would not like getting older.  But I do.  The only problem are my knees.

I exercise so my knees  will not be in much pain.  Wait...weight is another problem. I find I can not lose weight the way I would like. Other than that, I am fine.

Contributor

My failing body and the stress that comes with being a caregiver to a Parkinsonโ€™s spouse. 

The constant losses of lifeโ€™s pleasures. 

Contributor

Losing so many people you love

Periodic Contributor

Most of my family of origin and many of my friends are gone. I miss my last dog but I'm not in a position to get another. So I'm happy to have 2 lovey-dovey cats and a turtle as my buddies.

I don't like having less energy. My kids and grandkids are very active and are busy all the time. I would love to join them in their walks up the mountains, picnics, swimming, etc. I just don't have the energy and stamina to do all these with them every time. When I go with them for one activity, say going on a picnic, I'm down for the next couple of days.

Contributor

The bodies immune system doesnโ€™t protect you like it did when you were younger!

Health and wealthand the the possibilty of losing or cutbacks to Medicare and Social Security by uncaring politicians!

Contributor

Number onw worst thing about getting old, is not being able to afford competent health care which includes dental and vision care.

Periodic Contributor

I agree with others and the issues they cited; aging body, fear of medical issues, outliving your savings, losing friends etc.  But my biggest issue is suddenly being treated like a child by some (younger) friends and especially my family.  Suddenly I apparently can't think for myself or work out the tiiest problem.  I can see why people get depressed as they age.  My body may be aching more but my mind is perfectly fine!   

Regular Contributor

I have some really young friends that I used to work with.  While I was still working they seemed to treat me as an equal but since I retired and we go to breakfast once in a while, I feel a slight shift in their attitude towards me!  Telling me about scams out there and asking if my phone apps need updating!  I guess I got old when I retired.  Oh and of course the fact that my body doesn't realize how young my mind is!

Periodic Contributor

Seeing all the hyper-sensitive, whiny, crybaby Millenials that are coming up behind us.  God help this country.

Super Contributor

What worries me the most is the day I'll need to turn in my car keys and stop driving.  That loss of independence will be the day when I will truly feel OLD!   Smiley Sad

Super Contributor

You know what though, Bertie.  You're wise.  Got a lot of common sense.  Others are kicking and screaming if they have to give up their car.  And then some tragedy happens and people think, if only.  You will do the right thing and give yourself a pat on the back.

Super Contributor

@MartinG987436 wrote:

You know what though, Bertie.  You're wise.  Got a lot of common sense.  Others are kicking and screaming if they have to give up their car.  And then some tragedy happens and people think, if only.  You will do the right thing and give yourself a pat on the back.

Thank you Martin!  I know what's right and wrong ~ and it's wrong to drive when your common sense says it's time to turn in the keys.  I bet you're the same way!

Trusted Contributor

It's like this pandemic we are experiencing now some don't feel protecting themselves and others is important and might open up the country sooner. Unfortunately this is freedom to express.

Trusted Contributor

This pandemic has its price since in lockdown all I want to do is sleep. After a whole day in bed I am still sleepy and I don't understand it. I eat more trying to feel okay is difficult. My family won't come to see me. I haven't figured out Zoom and similar meet places yet. I suppose I'm there.(old) ๐Ÿ˜ฐ

Regular Contributor

For me, the worst thing about getting old is feeling less valued.  When I had a job and was raising my children I felt like I was living life fully.  As for getting old,  we need to feel like we are contributing to something besides ourselves.   Before the pandemic I would do volunteer work and take care of my grandchildren to keep busy.  Now, with the pandemic I feel isolated at times.  But I try to be thankful for many blessings and not dwell on negative thoughts.  

Regular Contributor

I agree with everything you shared for sure.  I'm hoping things get better soon. Zoom call meetings help stay connected with family and friends.  This might help too with coping with the isolation aspect of life under the current situation.  

Periodic Contributor

My hip and knees hurt often.

My eyes have big circles around them.

Unable to do the exercises for over a half hour.

I am  not as strong as I used to be.

I can not walk as long as I used to walk.

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP