AARP's caregiver resource center can help you navigate your role as a family caregiver. Try it today.

Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: What's the worst thing about getting old?

Message 21 of 61
Thank you. I'll eat a piece of cake for you!
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 61

What an upbeat post @ip3285!  And Happy Birthday to YOU!!! in advance.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 61

Losing mobility

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 61

When I read the question "What's the worst thing about getting old", my thought was "what a negative question".  It brought to mind the song by Bing Crosby:

Ac-cent-Tchu-Ate the Positive
Eliminate the Negative
Latch on to the Affirmative
Don't mess with Mister In-Between!

I finished my PhD at age 78.  I still run even though it's shorter distances than when I was younger; I write a weekly article for an international ezine, garden, care for my farm animals, volunteer at the library, and almost everything else I want to do.  Yes, I have health problems, but I've had them since I was a child - Chron's disease with most of my intestines removed, asthma, and more.  I deal with them and get on with my life.  Why think of the Worst thing about getting older when you can look at all the good things that older age can bring?  Oh, and my 80th birthday will be on July 31st.  Happy Birthday to Me!  

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 61

Understand. Yet online dating has solved that for me. True, one must be careful, yet there are a lot of fine people and opportunities with dating sites.

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 61

When, your grandkids say Grandma, you look different!  Do I?  How is that?  What's that hanging from your arm?  Oh, that, that's my extra skin, you need that as you get older.  How come you have a lot of spots?  I must be related to the cats, since my name is cat.  How come your hair is falling out?  It's like getting a whole new hairdo, you shape, it,cut it, spray it, and voila, your new look!  How come you always say, my aching joints?  Well, your bones tell you, they need nourishment, like making a smoothie with nuts and seeds, like Tahini Milk or Almond Milk.  You get to try more items, be creative to make more joints  moving to the groovin.  Hoe come you drink all those green drinks? Ahhhh, nutritious kale, spinach, parsley, cucumber, green leaf lettuce drinks!  Oh, those make you feel alive, give you strength, make your blood run smoother, oiling your machine,feeding your brain.

Grandma, I can't wait to be like you!!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 61

The loneleness.  Waking up alone, not having someone to share a smile with, hold hands, laugh at each others jokes and itamincy.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 61

The worst is watching family and friends who are older having to suffer Alzheimer’s or dementhia and having to move into an Assisted Living Facility.  But the worst is losing them and having to go on in life without them.

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 61

Being fortunate in health, the way people judge you because of the age number, not who you are. If I don’t tell people my age, they think I’m several years younger. I’m really sharper than most people 20 years younger.

on the other side, your joints hurt in the mornings, and the obvious stiffness, currently my only real complaint.

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 61

We've all known from the time we were old enough to understand death and dying that we are only in Planet Earth UNTIL our time to leave is up. Age aint nuttin' butta numba because death is no respector of age and I've seen that up close and personal during my years as a registered nurse. I've seen infants go before they were born, after they were born, pediatric kids...teens...young, middle aged, older adults...we're all only in Planet Earth until our time of departure. We didn't know we were coming, and we won't know when we're going...ONLY OUR CREATOR GOD KNOWS so just live your life...it's a gift from our Creator. Exercise your gift of life by helping others along the way. 

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors