From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: What's the worst thing about getting old?

Message 51 of 61

I've also found this to be true.  Even with a Cane, folks run or rush past me, cutting me off and it's difficult to stop without jolting the entire body.  Same happens with shopping carts.  I've been pushed aside while looking at food shelves in the grocer by a woman 30 to 40  years younger so she could get something off the shelf.  Perhaps is just our society is in such a rush or have not been taught manners.  I'm 79, brought up knowing to respect, give up a seat on Busses, open doors, allow elder to pass.  It's my time now and it doesn't exist.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 52 of 61

What worries me the most is the day I'll need to turn in my car keys and stop driving.  That loss of independence will be the day when I will truly feel OLD!   Smiley Sad

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 53 of 61

Losing friends and family is hard but part of life, remember they live on in your memories, so live long that their memories live long also. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 54 of 61

I am a healthy 72 years old.  I have a lot of friends who are much older than me (85-95!) and I love them dearly.  The hard part of aging is knowing that I will be losing these people, as they are having health issues.  In this day of living longer, the sad part is losing friends and relatives.  Do I want to live to be 100 and be alone?  I try to keep in touch with everyone or see them whenever I can.  The important thing to remember is to live each day to its fullest because we know that time is not on our side.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 55 of 61

As much as I hate the aches, the sagging body etc, it hurts that family look at you as though you are no longer a valid member of society, the worst thing is being ignored, and considered to have no valid input.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 56 of 61

I get scared when I hear about "living to 100" as a goal, when my reality is hoping that my financial situation will keep me living day to day! I'm 71 and do have chronic disability due to MS, plus other health matters cropping up as I age. I personally would like to focus on affordable housing and health care, including in-home services, in the present time, as opposed to stretching the odds for another 30 years. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 57 of 61

Being invisible to much of the rest of the population!  Physical changes are inevitable but I'm shocked by how I'm not "seen" anymore.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Reply: What's the worst thing about getting old?

Message 58 of 61

The worst part would be not having the opportunity to grow old, so many don't!

So with graditude I look forward to having the opportunity!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 59 of 61

I would say that the skin changes bother me the most. When I was young, I would think that would never happen to me and it did anyway. I look young and feel young most of the time but the inevitable dermatological issues are there.e.g eyelids strting to droop a little, some brown spots etc.

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Reply: What's the worst thing about getting old?

Message 60 of 61

I think the worst thing is knowing our bodies will deteriorate significantly as we age.  It is scarey facing the future and the probability that pain and suffering lies ahead.   I can only hope science will continue to discover ways to help humans live healthy lives.  Stopping or reversing the aging process would be an amazing feat but I don't think it will happen in my lifetime.

@41454145 wrote:

From losing one's memory, eyesight, hearing, digestion, mobility, et al- aging is a depressing phenomena that hits us all and the costs gets prohibitive! 

What is the worst thing about age and what can we change to make it better?

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season