ACA Open Enrollment Ends Dec. 15. Review Your Options Before Being Locked in for 2018. Read More

Info Seeker

Re: What do you do to keep your brain sharp?

Message 11 of 31
I still program video games. I am learning a new scripting language for making an MMO (massive multiplayer online) video game, called HSL. I also play these games to learn the different parts, and how they should work.
Report Inappropriate Content
Conversationalist

Message 12 of 31

Since early spring, I've been doing a basic Pilates routine first thing in the morning--the first time in my life I've kept up an exercise program so consistently and so long.  I'm watching what I eat as well, and planning how I'll make time to add some paleo-style bodyweight and kettlebell exercises to my daily routine.

Besides that, I'm still working at 66 with no plans to retire; I'm learning Korean for my job and brushing up on my Russian and Spanish; I've learned to do fairly difficult Sudoku puzzles as well as the crosswords I've enjoyed for decades; and I'm going to go back to writing every day, especially poetry, and getting manuscripts out to try to get published.

Info Seeker

Message 13 of 31

I do yoga 5 times a week, read and play hidden object games on my Ipad.

Conversationalist

Message 14 of 31

20160412_215140-1.jpg

Info Seeker

Message 15 of 31

At age 60, I have gone back to school.

Gold Conversationalist

Message 16 of 31

Since I was a Reading Teacher for years, reading and writing are major.  I write poems, short stories, plays etc. I enjoy games on line, word search (even found a wonderful Bible search), games on my I-Pad and tablet, coloring (new adult kind), drawing (get canvas at Walmart or Michael's), calligraphy, jewelry making and sewing.  I keep a very strict "journal" that keeps my mind sharp and memory fresh. I plan to take some non-credit classes at the Community College.

It was difficult for me to do lots of extra activities for "enjoyment "while teaching.  There were so many papers to grade , conferences to attend, workshops, and late nights doing "school things". 

It was like being on-call 24 hrs. and weekends (e-mails on weekends and holidays).

Now, I am happy for the "Me" time!  Retirement is certainly wonderful and I'm enjoying everyday.

Info Seeker

Message 17 of 31

I read novels often, stay involved in arts and crafts with my granddaughter and for myself.  I have taken up vegetable gardening in addition to my flower gardens.  In other words always willing to learn something new and share with my granddaughter keeps me sharp.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 18 of 31

Since I retired, I have a lot more time to work on my genealogy research. I have several lines that require quite a bit of analytical work to keep track of who is who and where; and keeping track of the ages and timelines to see if your research actually makes sense.

Many of you who are into genealogy have probably run into families that repeated names among their siblings and subsequent generations...and then they moved around a lot too. It keeps you alert and thinking!

Research is a great brain exercise, and this way it is fun to do.

Social Butterfly

Message 19 of 31

I was hoping to still be working, but that wasn't meant to be.  The things I like to do include reading (fiction and nonfiction in a variety of genres), doing Sudoku and logic problems,  hand-code several websites, participating in online forums on Alzheimer's and frugal living, writing a series of ebooks which I hope to sell some day, and do computer art/graphics. I've also started exercising as I need to lose some weight.

Info Seeker

Message 20 of 31
Drink black coffee, eat dark chocolate, breath deeply, write with your non dominate hand with a pencil, write a children's book, eat sunflower seeds, walnuts, drink water, run around in circles the opposite way you might think to go, do Sudoku, create Sudoku!