From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: We all have regrets-If you had a Do-Over what would that be?

Message 11 of 23

@TerriS307074 wrote:

I would'nt have started my Early Learning Child Care. Even though I've been blessed to provide the service to many people in the last 28yrs the up and down income of self-employment has made it hard to set up retirement. The 14hrs 5 days and then even on the weekend there are things that I have to do for work. 

Also the way people, banks and now employers have expressed it is "babysitter". I have to correct them I'm a small business owner. Now when changes are coming to state regulations are making it harder to afford to keep going I am finding out how it impacts. It's hard to know where to start looking for new career at 54 and people not seeing all I can provide. Even where to start looking so I don't get phony job postings.

I don't regret all the years, because I've seen many successes that children have had and parents who appreciate me for always being there for them. 

I can totally relate to the self-employment point. Also, sacrifice a career to be a stay-at-home parent raising the children and taking care of the household seems like people want to categorize you into a "useless" area. People have no understanding of the commitment and dedicated hard work it is to be self-employeed for many years. Good luck with the career shift at mid-life ages!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 23

I would'nt have started my Early Learning Child Care. Even though I've been blessed to provide the service to many people in the last 28yrs the up and down income of self-employment has made it hard to set up retirement. The 14hrs 5 days and then even on the weekend there are things that I have to do for work. 

Also the way people, banks and now employers have expressed it is "babysitter". I have to correct them I'm a small business owner. Now when changes are coming to state regulations are making it harder to afford to keep going I am finding out how it impacts. It's hard to know where to start looking for new career at 54 and people not seeing all I can provide. Even where to start looking so I don't get phony job postings.

I don't regret all the years, because I've seen many successes that children have had and parents who appreciate me for always being there for them. 

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 23

I would do boxers rather than briefs!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 23

If I had a Do-Over. I would have taken better care of myself. I lost precious time with my 2 boys and husband and dogs. I had 5 major strokes and all most died. My husband was going to take care of me. He ended up passing away on the job of a massive annorism. So thank God I survived and fought my way back. My boys would be without 2 parents. I miss my husband every Day. The only thing that is wrong with me since the strokes is short term memory and I walk a little slower up and down steps. I drive short distances and clean the house and cook and take care of my family as best as I can. I don't work cause of my short term memory. My brother is my power of attorney.. He pays my bills cause I have a hard time doing that. So yes I wish I had a Do-Over.

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

A Do-Over!!

Message 15 of 23

I would never let Ambrose be in charge! EVER!!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 23

A question I've pondered many times in the 45+ years since I've achieved independent sentience.

Today, it would be a return to 2015 when she told me she had been experiencing symptoms that could be IBS, could be Krohns, but might be cancer. Colon cancer killed her 3 years later. 

So, I would return to that moment in 2015 and even if I had to hogtie her and drag her kicking and screaming, I'd get her to a doctor for a proper diagnosis and treatment.

Against that, all the prior woulda-coulda-shoulda pipe dreams are pap.

Obligatory note:
If there is a Florida-qualified lawyer who is willing to take a long shot on a medical malpractice lawsuit, against the first of two oncologists (different clinics), pm me at: r pl us k media at gmail - remove the spaces and add the suffix. That quack runs a chemo mill where patients are treated with oxaliplatin but there is no hot water in the patient restrooms - the hot water plumbing is missing under the sink. That's the tip of an iceberg. Even if I receive nothing monetarily, he needs to be kick-banned from the business. I just need an attorney who will take the case.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 23

Although it was necessary, I would work less when my children were young and growing up,  I missed everything and regret it, now as adults they have nothing to do with me and blame me for missing them growing up, bad scene.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 23

Pondering the question – what would I do over - I came up with a long list only to realize that for all the peaks and valleys, every one of my experiences has contributed to who I am today. Yes, I wish my husband who died prematurely was still here. We were sailors, hikers, bikers, kayakers and more. One of my greatest accomplishments was being a mom to two really great kids (ages 48 and 49) who are successful and happy in their lives. Being present at the birth of my only grandchild was a blessing. The doctor handed him to me and I immediately sang his first lullaby. He’s 27 now and we’re still “besties.”

Through hard work and determination, I earned academic degrees (all in night school) in business, economics and counseling education, although I’ve thought several times throughout my life that I wish I had gone to nursing school. In small ways, I have satisfied my passion to help others as a Red Cross volunteer and by donating time and energy to local hospitals and long term care facilities. I also provide pro bono academic tutoring for all ages. In my spare time, I work with new authors to get their books published and on bookshelves everywhere.

So, this almost 74 year old has no regrets. There’s nothing I’d do over. I am content to just keep going -- doing more --  and for a long time to come.

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 23

I definitely would not have married my 2nd husband - so wrong on so many levels!  Smiley Wink

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 23

Mulligans can result in a false sense of achievement...Rather than focusing on DO-OVER, I'd rather focus on no DO-AGAIN...

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season