Get the vision care news and information you need in the AARP Eye Center.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Vitamins for brain health? Experts answer your questions.

Message 31 of 47

Who wrote this article? The FDA? Pharmaceutical industry?

I have been taking supplements for more than 40 YEARS! My program has evolved over these years, and I credit it - along with eating almost entirely organic - with my pretty good health at the age of 74. I take NO MEDICATION WHATSOEVER, don’t own even a bottle of aspirin.

This work-in-progress program - which I intend to continue to the day I die - has helped me to solve numerous health problems that more doctors than I can remember thought to solve with drugs. They failed. I wasn’t sick because I had a DRUG deficiency! Nutritional deficiencies - even sub-clinical - can wreak havoc and illness in the body.

Wellness is NOT the name of the game for physicians, hospitals, and drug companies. After all, illness pays their bills. If we all were well, they’d go bankrupt.

In MANY MANY ways I came to understand that my health was in MY hands. One example. For YEARS I suffered miserably from IBS. I went from one doctor to another. No one could help me. Then I discovered the book WHEAT BELLY written by a cardiologist. In it he explored the connection between gluten consumption and various health issues, including IBS. So, when I finished the book, I eliminated all foods containing gluten - wheat, rye, oats, and barley. Within a few weeks, no more IBS. This was more than a decade ago. I eat nothing with gluten and there has been no recurrance of the IBS.

The supermarket is NOT your friend. It is filled with chemicalized, genetically modified garbage that LOOKS like food but isn’t. The body WANTS to be well. HEALTH is the default. But the FRANKENFOOD people are buying and eating is killing them. 

Nutrition is powerful medicine and supplements are an wonderful tool. Knowledge is power. Teach yourself what you need to know. I did it and so can anyone. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 32 of 47

Happy to read efficacy of B-12 confirmed. Sublingual works for me.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 47

Don't forget vitamin D as well, has shown efficacy in improving brain health.  MD's aren't necessarily the experts on nutrition.  It's not even part of their curriculum.  Plus, you have to look at who funds the research and who benefits from the results.  Yes, people spend on supplements without knowing their benefit, but if you look at the Krebs Cycle, there are a lot of nutirients necessary for the production of energy and metabolism, and for which the typical American diet is often woefully lacking.  So, taking a broad spectrum multi-vitamin is probably a good idea for insurance.  We don't often eat well.  Plus, stress, coffee, alcohol, and even water leach vitamins and nutrients from our bodies. Don't see many kudos for this article, though it's ironic that today I received an email from Kaiser Permanente suggesting the use of Omega 3's, and vitamins B-12 and D for better brain health.  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 47

I expected better from AARP. This article was hatched out of old school, medical bias toward supplements and laced with generalities. No specific products nor ingredients where even discussed. For over three years I have used  a product that is the results of more than 20 years of research at Princeton University Labs. It stopped and reversed the cognitive decline I was experience. It has done so and more for many, many happy users. With so much time and money being spent to effect a cure for the horrible ravages of dementia and Alzheimer’s, how can GCBH afford to be so close minded?

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 47

The "New Report Pans Supplements for Brain Health" article is worthless unless you also print a response by a responsible organization promoting properly produced brain-health supplements, such as the Life Extension Foundation.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 47

Thanks for broadening the discussion, Paul!

Blanket statements of “No Benefits”, etc. is not good journalism, nor thorough work by the GCBH!

Here’s my input:

FocusFactor has a patented formula that is clinically tested. 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 47

ah4946, thanks for joining the forum!  Totally agree that leading a healthy, balanced lifestyle helps both the brain and other parts of the body experience better physical and mental health.  As a physician, I have always had a healthy respect for body’s ability to heal itself given  appropriate sleep, exercise and nutrition.  I haven’t seen the article you mentioned about regeneration of brain cells after trauma but it sounds interesting.  My colleagues on the GCBH issued an earlier report discussing the evidence around exercising your mind and brain health you might find informative.   Check out the report on exercising you brain – what we call challenging your thinking here:   https://www.aarp.org/health/brain-health/global-council-on-brain-health/cognitively-stimulating-acti...

You could also see www.CognitiveVitality.org

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 47

@PaulR427193 thank you for your very thoughtful questions.

1. We agree that absorption of some vitamins becomes more difficult for some people as they age and were quite careful to point out as you do the B vitamins as an example. We hope to inspire people to ask their health care providers about possible deficiencies if they suspect they may have some. But personal judgment about levels of vitamins in your blood is not an adequate substitute for actual testing. For most people in the U.S. supplementation is not necessary. Our report goes into detail about the exceptions, and the reasons why or why not certain types of people with certain conditions may be an exception to the general rule not to routinely supplement.

2. We chose the supplements we named in the study because these are among the most popularly used for brain health. The scope of our evaluation was looking at products that are thought to impact memory and focus and which are discussed in the general consumer literature. None of my colleagues discussed or even mentioned Acetyl-L-carnitine or Lion's mane (Hericium erinaceus) because they are neither widely used or well-studied . Same for Bacopa monnieri.

3. Neurotransmitter support is a big area unto itself and we did not go into this area which of course is theoretically possible to boost brain function. But these compounds require far greater investigation into safety and effectiveness before they could be responsibly recommended, and would likely fall into the category of prescription drugs rather than supplements.

Paul Coates

Paul Coates
Kudos
Views
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 47

@s804940b You bring up an interesting and controversial topic!  Canola oil has less saturated fats than other oils but because of production concerns and debate over health effects it has generated lots of debate.  Yet relatively few independent, high quality studies have been accomplished to settle the questions.  Depending upon production methods, compared to other types of oils, canola oil is relatively high in Omega 3s (generally a good thing) but also in Omega 6s (maybe not so great).  It is sometimes found in hydrorogenated forms that are the trans fats which have been found to increase risk of heart disease stroke and type 2 diabetes.  So you have to ask yourself what form is it in and compared to what other oil  options when you make the decision whether to consume it.  

Sarah Lenz Lock, AARP Expert Brain Health
Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 47
Canola oil comes from rapeseed. It is not a healthy oil to use.
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season