Get on the Road Without Breaking the Bank – Tips on AARP Live at 10 p.m. ET. Watch Here 

Info Seeker

Re: Time Seems To Race By Faster As We Age

Message 21 of 33 (6,609 Views)
Try 1 ply paper, it will last a little longer.
Info Seeker

Message 22 of 33 (6,612 Views)

It is due to percentages.  At 5 years old 1 year is 20% of your life.

At 65 1 year is just over 1.5% of your life.  1.5% seems faster than 20%.

Info Seeker

Message 23 of 33 (6,613 Views)

I don't perceive time passing any more quickly now that I am past the mid-70 mark. Although my days are not as busy as they once were, time passes the same for me as it did 25 years ago.

Info Seeker

Message 24 of 33 (8,615 Views)

Thats why I only buy x-large rolls, takes longer to get to the end.. lol

Info Seeker

Message 25 of 33 (8,843 Views)
Life is like a roll of toilet paper, the nearer the end the faster it unrolls
Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 26 of 33 (8,855 Views)

Days and nights very slow.

Years too fast. 

MichaelSpitzer wrote:

Since the feeling of time passing faster as we age is universal and seems to be reported by both active people and those in retirement homes with very little daily variety, we propose a different theory.

Not just a psychological fact, but a truly biological effect related to aging. Just as wrinkles, grey hair, weakened eyesight and loose skin are universal symptoms of aging --- I theorize that something about the aging of the brain actually changes the way memory is perceived.

This would explain why it is a universal phenomenon and is reported by people of all activity levels. It is not as simple as saying busy people feel time flies by faster, because even interviews with older people in nursing homes who only play cards all day or sit by a lake looking at nature or reading a book still claim time flies by faster and faster for them each year.

Your thoughts ?

Michael Spitzer
Author
FITNESS AT 40,50,60 AND BEYOND

Info Seeker

Message 27 of 33 (8,888 Views)

it's the math...

at 10 years of age, 1 year is 1/10th of your life...a pretty big chunk of time...

at 60 years of age 1 year is 1/60th of your life...a relatively small chunk of time...

so at 60:

1 year is experienced as 1/6th of 1/10th of the experience of the 10 year old experince of 1 year....the result is a much faster experience of 1 year.

larry kutnicki

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 28 of 33 (9,326 Views)

Liltman wrote:

Time flies when you're having fun. 

Old age is hard work!  The fun is all relative to what you're doing at the time.

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Recognized Social Butterfly

Message 29 of 33 (9,344 Views)

Time flies when you're having fun. 

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 30 of 33 (9,349 Views)
MichaelSpitzer wrote:

Good point
Along those lines, I have also said that the human brain's "random access memory " is also a factor.

You can instantly recall something that happened 40 years ago as quickly as something that happened 4 hours ago.
This can kind of "mess around" with relative time perception.

On the other hand, if our brains worked like tape drives, where you had to hit REWIND and wait while your brain rolled backwards to recall an old memory, then time might feel more consistent.

Maybe it's not quite that "random". Maybe every memory has a "weight factor"; some are more important than others. When a memory has a very high weight factor, maybe it's stored "closer" for easier access. That would explain why we immediately remember the names of some people we meet, and others whose names we hear multiple times, aren't as important to us, and they're stored "far in the back" of our minds!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!