Get on the Road Without Breaking the Bank – Tips on AARP Live at 10 p.m. ET. Watch Here 

Info Seeker

Re: Time Seems To Race By Faster As We Age

Message 11 of 33 (6,318 Views)

I don't know who came up with this originally, but it makes perfect sense (at least to me).  The reason time seems to go faster as we age is this:

• When you are 6 years old, a year is 1/6 of your life.
  • By the time you are 60 years old, a year is 1/60 of your life.

Time doesn't go faster; it's just that a year becomes a smaller and smaller portion of our lives the longer we live.

Super Social Butterfly

Message 12 of 33 (6,324 Views)

I agree.

Info Seeker

Message 13 of 33 (6,342 Views)
As we age a year's percentage of time becomes a smaller amount to the total time past. Therefore it would actually pass faster. A 1 yr. old becoming 2 has spent the same time to become 2. A year to a 100 yr old is 1% of his time.
Info Seeker

Message 14 of 33 (6,354 Views)
They say that God called on Moses when he was 80 years old to do something meaningful (save his people)with his life. I am patiently waiting to reach my 80th year to do something useful and meaningful. Perhaps a meaningful life starts at 80 for some. Have you noticed that people with a goal or unfinished business in life live longer? Give me that goal!! Give me something meaningful to do with my life and time will be stopped!!
Info Seeker

Message 15 of 33 (6,358 Views)

I read an article in either the Health or Science section of the Cleveland Plain Dealer newspaper 7 or 8 years ago that explained this quite logically.

Roughly it stated it this way:

When you are 5 years old one year is 20% of your life/memory experience. Once you reach 50 years old one year is 2% of your life's experience. So similar to other reples re:"random access memory" it's very logical that the older a person gets (longer he/she lives) the faster time seems to pass.

H. Hunt

Info Seeker

Message 16 of 33 (6,369 Views)

There is a mathematical reason why time seems to accellerate.  When you are 2 years old, one year is 1/2 your life.  When you are 4, one year is 1/4 of your life.  When you are 10, one year is 1/10 of your life.  And so on, so that each year's passing in relation to your life appears shorter than the previous.  Thus my comming year will appear to be only 1/80th of my life and appearing shorter than my present year which is 1/79th of my life.

Info Seeker

Message 17 of 33 (6,374 Views)

So glad that I read answers before posting. This was exactly what I was going to say.

Gold Conversationalist

Message 18 of 33 (6,384 Views)

I can remember my Mom saying to me to quit wishing my life away, it all goes fast enough. I was always anxious to turn a certain age (13, 16, 18, 21) and until I reached those ages time was indeed very slow for me. Now approaching my 60th birthday I can't seem to fit into a day all the things I want to get done (shopping, cleaning, working, etc.) and wondered what happened to slow time? It took forever for school to let out for summer break, forever until a friend's birthday party, forever until I was considered an adult. Now I have achieved that I would like time to slow down a bit and let me take a breather!

Silver Conversationalist

Message 19 of 33 (6,388 Views)

I believe it is due to metabolism slowing.So,when you're a kid youre metabolism is moving real fast and the world seems to be moving slow,comparitively.When old,the metabolism slows and the outside world seems to be moving faster,relatively.I remember,when in elementary school,a day seemed to take about as long as a week does now,at age 63.

Info Seeker

Message 20 of 33 (6,394 Views)
When you are 5 years old, a year is a big percentage of the life that you have lived. You have few skills or jobs to fill time with, so you have "boundless" amounts of time. As a 25 year old a year is a much small percentage of their life, and they invariably have developed interests, skills, hobbies, etc as well as work and family interests. There is no time left to breathe, right? Even after retirement there is so much to do, and a year goes by in the blink of an eye, that year is flying by now. There may be other aspects, of course, but certainly that is one factor that contributes.