Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

The Power of Music

If you want to do something good for your brain, turn on your music player and sing along to a few songs. Better yet, sing and dance at the same time. Music stimulates many areas of the brain, including those responsible for memory, movement and mood, according to a new report from the AARP-founded Global Council on Brain Health (GCBH).

I've always loved music. My parents have home videos of me as a wee baby, and I'm intently listening to the music playing and ignoring everything else going on. I've been singing since I can remember, and I took piano lessons for a time and played the flute for 6 years. I also recently learned that my great-grandmother was an opera singer! My grandma on my mom's side was a piano teacher. Music is in my genes! Music has also helped me process my feelings, and is always there to soothe my soul when I'm going through a rough patch. I even met my partner at a music festival!

Do you listen to music to boost your mood? How has music helped you? Share your story today!

Periodic Contributor

My all time favorite song:  "What a wonderful world" by Louis Armstrong.

Trusted Contributor

not any one song but many. my music is country & bluegrass. i stream music from  internet radio. i turn on whatever my mood is at the moment: mostly, celtic music lifts my mood; sometimes jazz does the trick. every other times bluegrass/country on regular radio does it for me. as i said before on sundays there is classic country i can not do without.

Contributor

Iโ€™ve Got the Power by Snap!

"Family" by Drew Holcomb and the Neighbors is upbeat and reminds me of what is important.

https://youtu.be/N8l5hnWRZYY

"I Can See Clearly Now" -- almost any version (and I have many!) but especially Johnny Nash's.

Contributor

Foo Fighters My Hero

https://youtu.be/EqWRaAF6_WY

Contributor

Favorite song is Thank you for being a Friend. Theme from the Golden Girls.

Contributor

The Safety Dance by Men Without Hats

Pogo Forever! ๐Ÿ˜„

Contributor

Definately "Don't Worry, Be Happy" by Bobbie McFerrin!

Contributor

I love to listen to "I'm walking on Sunshine" by Katrina and the Waves.

Contributor

"Flora's Secret" by Enya is so soothing yet sort of energizing.  I think you'll also enjoy the lovely pictures in this video.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=youtube+enya+flora%27s+secret&t=ffab&atb=v192-1&iax=videos&ia=videos&iai=h...

Start Me Up by the Rolling Stones & Sweet Home Alabama! I'm a retired truck driver & those are my top songs.

Periodic Contributor

Sinful Passion by Dimash Kudaibergen.

Contributor

One of my all-time favorite feel good songs is Louis Armstrong singing, 'What A Wonderful World'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWzrABouyeE

Contributor

Donโ€™t know why I love you 

like I do

Clarence frogman

Contributor

There's always light ahead... so this is a great song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FscIgtDJFXg

โ€œI Saw The Lightโ€ by Todd Rundgren

Contributor

Best Day of My Life - by American Authors!

Conversationalist

Classical music makes me feel happy.  Sometimes it's J.S. Bach's Little Fugue in G minor or the famous Toccata from Widor's Symphony number 5 played by organist Virgil Fox.  

Seniors are just antique people rich with history.

Oh Yeah! The "Widor Toccata" performed live by any skilled organist! I can still recall the first time I heard it performed. It was instant! I was rapt! 

https://youtu.be/_FZ6fO-NsCI

Regular Social Butterfly

I don't know why as it's not "happy" but "Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers "Free Fallin' " for many reasons but most importantly what my youngest daughters, 5 and 7, thought the song meant, and remembering their excitement when we took them to this concert at the Irvine Ampitheater...

Such a great night! The girls love of his music continues today, so I am even more thankful and respectful of his legacy.

#StaySafe

#VegasStrong

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: โ€œIf Iโ€™d known Iโ€™d live this long, Iโ€™d have taken better care of myself.โ€
Conversationalist

It has been 3 years since Petty passed!  How much I miss him and I am sure others do too!  Good Choice.

Recognized Social Butterfly

Only Time will tell.   By Ten City 

Racquel Evans
Honored Social Butterfly

This is a gem of song I just discovered last night.  It's based on a true story written by the singer. Enjoy and be touched.

A song called:  BELIEVE

I adore the song BELIEVE, by; Brooks and Dunn, it's absolutely beautiful!

every rose ๐ŸŒน has throrn

Honored Social Butterfly

Diana Krall - I've Got You Under My Skin

Sultry, easy listening, relaxation, quiet time music.

Regular Contributor

Thanx Lydia. I have never heard this version. I still prefer Frank Sinatra's version. But Diana Krall does a great job!

Honored Social Butterfly

Herb Alpert -  RISE 

Smooth Jazz from the '70s

Still sounds good today!

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP