Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

The Power of Music

If you want to do something good for your brain, turn on your music player and sing along to a few songs. Better yet, sing and dance at the same time. Music stimulates many areas of the brain, including those responsible for memory, movement and mood, according to a new report from the AARP-founded Global Council on Brain Health (GCBH).

I've always loved music. My parents have home videos of me as a wee baby, and I'm intently listening to the music playing and ignoring everything else going on. I've been singing since I can remember, and I took piano lessons for a time and played the flute for 6 years. I also recently learned that my great-grandmother was an opera singer! My grandma on my mom's side was a piano teacher. Music is in my genes! Music has also helped me process my feelings, and is always there to soothe my soul when I'm going through a rough patch. I even met my partner at a music festival!

Do you listen to music to boost your mood? How has music helped you? Share your story today!

Conversationalist

Vacation: The Go-Go's.

Regular Contributor

Hey Lydia, you amaze me with your variety of knowledge on different kinds of music. I also like "Ride with Me" by the Mavericks

Honored Social Butterfly

One of the most beautiful love songs ever written was Unchained Melody sung by The Righteous Brothers and brought to life in the movie Ghost.  Here it is:

Just beautiful!

Bill Withers song, "Lovely Day."

Bronze Conversationalist

I absolutely LOVE that song, JamesM!!!!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Always makes me feel better!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Yes

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Yes. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Just one more mood elevator...

"CAN'T STOP THE FEELING"  by Justin Timberlake

Honored Social Butterfly

This song is from an animated film called "SING!"  There is a lot of great music in this movie, but I find this one song always elevates my mood, puts me in a happy place, and even makes me wanna move even while sitting down.  So here goes.....

"Don't You Worry 'Bout a Thing"  sung by Tori Kelly

Regular Contributor

Originally recorded by Stevie Wonder. Tori Kelly did it justice!

Honored Social Butterfly

Some unknown or newly started singers are found on those variety or talent challenge shows like American Idol.  Here is one such talent with his on spin of a well known song:

Brian Crum sings  CREEP

Bronze Conversationalist

WOWWWWWW!  

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I find this song and video  to be a very happy step to a good day. "Open Door Season" performed by Deililck Haddon. Surprise yourself give it a try!

Regular Contributor

I really like Van Halen's "Hot for Teacher." Alex does a superior job on drums, Michael is right on with the bass, but the master is Eddie. His guitar solo is just AWESOME! I also like "Dreams." RIP Eddie

Contributor

artist : Pharrell

the song : HAPPY

Makes my body move, makes my mood HAPPY. 
It makes me think of the world I want to live in and not this oneโ—๏ธ

Bronze Conversationalist

Ditto for sure!!!!!    ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿค—๐Ÿ™ƒ

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I don't know if this qualifies as a song.  It is my favorite march and is very stirring and I think John Philip Sousa's finest -"Semper Fidelis".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgABUZ4i9co

Regular Contributor

I've played John Phillip Sousa music from grade school throughout college. Parades, concerts, you name it!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I've always enjoyed musicals and one of the greatest musical events in recent times was the film The Greatest Showman.  Several great songs and musical numbers came out of this movie and these three truly demonstrate "the power of music" to encourage and uplift the spirit.  Enjoy!

This Is Me sung by Keala Settle

Never Enough -- performed by Rebecca Ferguson (as sung by Loren Allred)

From Now On with Hugh Jackman

Contributor

I've got lots of, I call them, "happy songs. 

This is one of my favs-

https://youtu.be/UhDXGyrHLb0

Kudos
Views
Periodic Contributor

Thanks, RhondaF935810!

I just recently found out I have Early Stage Parkinsonโ€™s..and I must admit I am pretty scared. Iโ€™m a very active person. 
Iโ€™m Alive video made me smile and cheer up! Thanks,   SLOTC

0 Kudos
Contributor

I'm glad, Brian, it gave you a smile.  Keep on pushin'! 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I love "I'm Walking On Sunshine" by Katrina and the Waves. Definitely lifts your spirits and gets you moving!

Honored Social Butterfly

Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow - Amy Winehouse

Periodic Contributor

She had a great voice-sorry she's passed on.
Regular Contributor

My mother also loved the Great Nat King Cole's, "Unforgettable" which I did as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFyuOEovTOE&list=RDJFyuOEovTOE&start_radio=1&t=0

Contributor

So many great songs, however "You Keep My Hanging On" always make me turn up the volume and dance. 

Contributor

When Iโ€™m feeling low listening to Jill Scottโ€™s Golden is one of my top go to pick me ups. When I need to come to Jesus my go to is Imagine Me by Kirk Franklin.

Periodic Contributor

Jill Scott's "Golden" is definitely a pick me up.  "I Love the Lord", by Whitney Houston stirs my soul.  

Cinzia G
Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroidsยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP