Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

The Power of Music

If you want to do something good for your brain, turn on your music player and sing along to a few songs. Better yet, sing and dance at the same time. Music stimulates many areas of the brain, including those responsible for memory, movement and mood, according to a new report from the AARP-founded Global Council on Brain Health (GCBH).

I've always loved music. My parents have home videos of me as a wee baby, and I'm intently listening to the music playing and ignoring everything else going on. I've been singing since I can remember, and I took piano lessons for a time and played the flute for 6 years. I also recently learned that my great-grandmother was an opera singer! My grandma on my mom's side was a piano teacher. Music is in my genes! Music has also helped me process my feelings, and is always there to soothe my soul when I'm going through a rough patch. I even met my partner at a music festival!

Do you listen to music to boost your mood? How has music helped you? Share your story today!

Periodic Contributor

Just recently watched the AARP movie about Herb Alpert.  He is truly an amazing artist.  Love all his music.  RISE is one of my favorites.

Cinzia G
Honored Social Butterfly

Amy Winehouse - Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow

(Amy gone too soon.)

Honored Social Butterfly

Sting performs "I'll Be Watching You"  with Bruce Springsteen

Honored Social Butterfly

NEVER ENOUGH FROM THE GREATEST SHOWMAN

Regular Contributor

When I am feeling low and blue, this song lifts up my heart and re awakens my hope. "Love Is On The Way" recorded by an amazing vocalist Billy Porter.  The song is a must hear.

Contributor

DRIFT AWAY 

Dobie Gray or Uncle Kracker 

Honored Social Butterfly

I'm sure there are many other songs out there that might do the trick, but this one is the only one that comes to mind at this late hour:

Happy by Pharrell Williams

Periodic Contributor

This one is also a favorite of mine. You can’t help but feel good listening to this one!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

INSANITY - Gregory Porter with Lalah Hathaway

Cool, smooth, love song.

Social Butterfly

HAPPY DAYS ARE HERE AGAIN (but there not right now)

I’m walking on sunshine by Katrina and the waves. 

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP