Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

The Best Thing I Did for My Brain in 2020 - Move

Community Manager
Community Manager

The Best Thing I Did for My Brain in 2020 - Move

Regular workouts, both aerobic and strength training, enhance brain function. No need to run marathons to help grow, repair, and maintain brain cells! A consistent workout regimen = a healthy brain.

2020 presented so many challenges for us all. One way to cope was exercise. Did you start exercising in a different way? Did you discover a new way to move your body? How did you feel after exercising?

Learn more about ways to keep your brain healthy as you age by checking out the book “Keep Sharp: Build a Better Brain at Any Age” by Sanjay Gupta, MD.

Social Butterfly

Daily three mile walks in the neighborhood.  Christine

Contributor

Body Groove,  it's something I can do every day and it's not boring.  I just turned

70 and I feel great..

Contributor

Jazzercise on Demand.  It's fantastic!

Periodic Contributor

Silver Sneakers Beginner Yoga and Strength and Stability classes; Live via Zoom 6-days a week since July. Very slow progress but seeing some muscle definition and a waist line. So many years of pain led to too many years inert. I'm getting ready for active retirement.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Wow, 6 days a week since July - that's incredible! Way to go!

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

I try to get up and down from the easy chair a few more times a day but haven’t noticed a difference in the way I feel yet.

Community Manager
Community Manager

😆

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Yes, Obe Fitness online annual subscription for live classes every day and some nights, and On Demand classes. I have been doing yoga, Barre, pilates, dance cardio, and strength hiit classes six days a week since the start of November, after shoulder surgery December 23, 2019. I am loving the classes. I also do interval walking, or walking and running, for 30 minutes on my treadmill 4 days a week, when the outside temperature is below 46 degrees. Otherwise, I walk 3.5 miles around my neighborhood and nearby industrial road. Less traffic that way. 

Regular Contributor

Good for you!!!!  I too have been doing yoga, pilates, strength and balance exercises after my regular class started zooming and I also added live and video Silver Sneakers classes.  I walk my dog 2X/day at a good clip.  Life can indeed go on and we can thrive.  Hats off to you!!

Contributor

Yes, I discovered Jenny Fit Start online. She has about 3 dozen free videos online - aerobics, steps, interval - geared for 50+. Just started a membership for 2 extra videos/week for $10 month. Has followers from around the world. She is awesome.

Super Contributor

A topic near & dear to my heart...er, brain! Three big changes.

1. Night walks - the neighborhood where I live is really safe and so I started walking after dark. This seems to increase sensory input as the brain tries harder to analyze the environment. I also seem to sleep better those nights.

2. Re-learning to juggle. It's not like riding a bike, muscle-memory wise! After 30 years I had to start over from scratch. There's a lot of interesting research showing improvements to the brain and muscles due to juggling. Eye-hand coordination is definitely returning to my young adult days.

3. Herbal supplements - a daily dose of lion's mane mushroom, sage, and ginkgo leaf! 

-Mark

The medicine man at www.medicinemanplantco.com

Bought kettlebells and get guidance from the plethora of UTube videos.  Retired last year at 67.  Husband and I have been dancing every evening - mainly R&R - but now with the kettlebells thrown in its REALLY energizing.  I didn't know how weak I had become.

Also wear a "fitbit" if you don't have an aversion.  So helpful even with the most primitive functions (counting steps, heart rate, sleep information, etc.)

These are my two new-2020-movements.

Regular Contributor

The best thing I did was began meditating. Also I am so grateful for AARP's video's to keep me motivated during COVID19. It has been a long COVID19 year isolating from the virus. The people in the videos are my virtual friends.

Community Manager
Community Manager

I love that framing - the people in the videos are our virtual friends! Glad you've been enjoying the videos and that they have kept you motivated 💪

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP