Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

The Best Thing I Did for My Brain in 2020 - Move

Community Manager
Community Manager

The Best Thing I Did for My Brain in 2020 - Move

Regular workouts, both aerobic and strength training, enhance brain function. No need to run marathons to help grow, repair, and maintain brain cells! A consistent workout regimen = a healthy brain.

2020 presented so many challenges for us all. One way to cope was exercise. Did you start exercising in a different way? Did you discover a new way to move your body? How did you feel after exercising?

Learn more about ways to keep your brain healthy as you age by checking out the book โ€œKeep Sharp: Build a Better Brain at Any Ageโ€ by Sanjay Gupta, MD.

Social Butterfly

Daily three mile walks in the neighborhood.  Christine

Contributor

Body Groove,  it's something I can do every day and it's not boring.  I just turned

70 and I feel great..

Contributor

Jazzercise on Demand.  It's fantastic!

Periodic Contributor

Silver Sneakers Beginner Yoga and Strength and Stability classes; Live via Zoom 6-days a week since July. Very slow progress but seeing some muscle definition and a waist line. So many years of pain led to too many years inert. I'm getting ready for active retirement.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Wow, 6 days a week since July - that's incredible! Way to go!

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

I try to get up and down from the easy chair a few more times a day but havenโ€™t noticed a difference in the way I feel yet.

Community Manager
Community Manager

๐Ÿ˜†

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Yes, Obe Fitness online annual subscription for live classes every day and some nights, and On Demand classes. I have been doing yoga, Barre, pilates, dance cardio, and strength hiit classes six days a week since the start of November, after shoulder surgery December 23, 2019. I am loving the classes. I also do interval walking, or walking and running, for 30 minutes on my treadmill 4 days a week, when the outside temperature is below 46 degrees. Otherwise, I walk 3.5 miles around my neighborhood and nearby industrial road. Less traffic that way. 

Regular Contributor

Good for you!!!!  I too have been doing yoga, pilates, strength and balance exercises after my regular class started zooming and I also added live and video Silver Sneakers classes.  I walk my dog 2X/day at a good clip.  Life can indeed go on and we can thrive.  Hats off to you!!

Contributor

Yes, I discovered Jenny Fit Start online. She has about 3 dozen free videos online - aerobics, steps, interval - geared for 50+. Just started a membership for 2 extra videos/week for $10 month. Has followers from around the world. She is awesome.

Super Contributor

A topic near & dear to my heart...er, brain! Three big changes.

1. Night walks - the neighborhood where I live is really safe and so I started walking after dark. This seems to increase sensory input as the brain tries harder to analyze the environment. I also seem to sleep better those nights.

2. Re-learning to juggle. It's not like riding a bike, muscle-memory wise! After 30 years I had to start over from scratch. There's a lot of interesting research showing improvements to the brain and muscles due to juggling. Eye-hand coordination is definitely returning to my young adult days.

3. Herbal supplements - a daily dose of lion's mane mushroom, sage, and ginkgo leaf! 

-Mark

The medicine man at www.medicinemanplantco.com

Bought kettlebells and get guidance from the plethora of UTube videos.  Retired last year at 67.  Husband and I have been dancing every evening - mainly R&R - but now with the kettlebells thrown in its REALLY energizing.  I didn't know how weak I had become.

Also wear a "fitbit" if you don't have an aversion.  So helpful even with the most primitive functions (counting steps, heart rate, sleep information, etc.)

These are my two new-2020-movements.

Regular Contributor

The best thing I did was began meditating. Also I am so grateful for AARP's video's to keep me motivated during COVID19. It has been a long COVID19 year isolating from the virus. The people in the videos are my virtual friends.

Community Manager
Community Manager

I love that framing - the people in the videos are our virtual friends! Glad you've been enjoying the videos and that they have kept you motivated ๐Ÿ’ช

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP