Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

The Best Thing I Did for My Brain in 2020 - Engage

Community Manager
Community Manager

The Best Thing I Did for My Brain in 2020 - Engage

Feeding your curiosity, learning new things and exposing yourself to new situations: Studies show that an attitude of growth can have a positive impact on brain health.

In 2020, many of us were able to start a new hobby. What new skills did you gain? Did you learn a new language or musical instrument? Did you channel your inner artist and take up a new craft? In what ways did you feed your curiosity in 2020?

Learn more about ways to keep your brain healthy as you age by checking out the book “Keep Sharp: Build a Better Brain at Any Age” by Sanjay Gupta, MD.

Conversationalist

I started doin' all kinds of craft nonsense with acrylic paints in mid- to late-2020. They're cheap, anyway. The paints, I mean. So there's that.

Here's a piece I completed that I'm particular proud of:

cheappaints.jpg

I call it, "All Those Paints An' Junk I Bought, All In One Big Plastic Tote And Maybe Someday I'll Do Something Creative With Them...Descending A Staircase."  Sure.

Contributor

I love hobbies of any kind, especially if I can make something to give to someone.  I'm especially fond of etching designs or patterns on a mirror with a versa-a-tool.  Hobby stores have many stencil patterns.  My girlfriend completes 3,000 piece jigsaw puzzles she uses as gifts.

Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm big into crafting gifts as well @MartinG898663. What a cool idea to etch designs onto mirrors! In shop class, we etched mirrors using a sandblaster. It was fun, but a versa tool sounds like it's much more user-friendly and smaller! How does your girlfriend gift a completed 3k piece puzzle?

Super Contributor

Unbelievable ~ I have that exact same painting!  I'm having a hard time finding a frame for it.  Any suggestions?  😏

Conversationalist

Haw! Yes, finding just the right frame has been a problem for me, too!

Community Manager
Community Manager

🤣🤣🤣 a truly one-of-a-kind piece!

Recognized Social Butterfly

Learning 

Racquel Evans
Community Manager
Community Manager

What's a cool thing you've learned?

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have spent much more time on the guitar, even applying some music theory to it which I had not really done in the past 50 years of playing. My technique and skill has improved remarkably.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP