Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

The Best Thing I Did for My Brain in 2020 - Engage

Community Manager
Community Manager

The Best Thing I Did for My Brain in 2020 - Engage

Feeding your curiosity, learning new things and exposing yourself to new situations: Studies show that an attitude of growth can have a positive impact on brain health.

In 2020, many of us were able to start a new hobby. What new skills did you gain? Did you learn a new language or musical instrument? Did you channel your inner artist and take up a new craft? In what ways did you feed your curiosity in 2020?

Learn more about ways to keep your brain healthy as you age by checking out the book โ€œKeep Sharp: Build a Better Brain at Any Ageโ€ by Sanjay Gupta, MD.

Conversationalist

I started doin' all kinds of craft nonsense with acrylic paints in mid- to late-2020. They're cheap, anyway. The paints, I mean. So there's that.

Here's a piece I completed that I'm particular proud of:

cheappaints.jpg

I call it, "All Those Paints An' Junk I Bought, All In One Big Plastic Tote And Maybe Someday I'll Do Something Creative With Them...Descending A Staircase."  Sure.

Contributor

I love hobbies of any kind, especially if I can make something to give to someone.  I'm especially fond of etching designs or patterns on a mirror with a versa-a-tool.  Hobby stores have many stencil patterns.  My girlfriend completes 3,000 piece jigsaw puzzles she uses as gifts.

Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm big into crafting gifts as well @MartinG898663. What a cool idea to etch designs onto mirrors! In shop class, we etched mirrors using a sandblaster. It was fun, but a versa tool sounds like it's much more user-friendly and smaller! How does your girlfriend gift a completed 3k piece puzzle?

Super Contributor

Unbelievable ~ I have that exact same painting!  I'm having a hard time finding a frame for it.  Any suggestions?  ๐Ÿ˜

Conversationalist

Haw! Yes, finding just the right frame has been a problem for me, too!

Community Manager
Community Manager

๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ a truly one-of-a-kind piece!

Recognized Social Butterfly

Learning 

Racquel Evans
Community Manager
Community Manager

What's a cool thing you've learned?

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have spent much more time on the guitar, even applying some music theory to it which I had not really done in the past 50 years of playing. My technique and skill has improved remarkably.

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP