Congress Agrees on a Tax Bill. What Does Proposed Tax Bill Mean for Older Americans? Learn More.

Social Butterfly

Re: Stress-busting Neuroscience Reveals 4 Easy Rituals To Become Stress-Free

Message 1 of 24

I have a few CDs of very calming music.  Sometimes I'll just put one on, kick back, close my eyes & let the music carry me away.

Report Inappropriate Content
Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 24

I think part of the way to reduce stress is to not allow ourselves to get stressed about things that don't relate to us.  Stop watching the same stressful news reports over and over.  Once you find out about a tornado in some country, or a killing somewhere, is it necessary to continue watching the same thing over and over?  Do you really need to know all the gory details about everything when you can't do anything about the situation?  I sometimes think the newscasters are focused on keeping our attention to their program, so they continally add more and more details and tell us to "keep watching for more details".  The result is that we get more anxious and more upset.  The stress builds up.  While it's good to keep informed, general information is sufficient, and hearing  about it once is enough.  If a hurricane or tornado is about to hit your city, that's different.  Of course you want to be kept up to date.  But when what's happening is remote, don't continue to watch it over and over and get more and more stressed.  You won't need rituals to be stress-free if you don't allow yourself to become stressed about things you can't do anything about.  Being informed is different from being stressed.  Don't watch the news every day, or even read the newspaper other than the headlines.  If it doesn't relate to you, why are you reading it?   Read the comics - it's better for your health!

Conversationalist

Message 3 of 24

I turn to Prayer when stressed out and then I turn to my 5 yo kitty that rescued me just days prior to my Mother passing. I had just lost my 18 yo emotional support therapy kitty and Callie was headed to the shelter because her owner had to go into memory care. She was not very socialized and over this past year not only has she overcome most of her fears she has been my God Send. She is medically approved to be an emotional support cat.

I will also turn my thoughts to those that are going through tougher times than I am. If I am strong enough (I am disabled) I love to go out and talk to children as they are God's Greatests GIFTS in our lives and somehow seeing their sweet innocense is soothing. 

This is the time of year that many people become depressed for all sorts of reasons. Reach out to someone when you are feeling really down. Go have a cup of coffee or ice cream just to take your mind off things. May God Bless each and every one of you who struggle with stress in life. There is no way to stop the stress but there are many ways to kick it aside. Wishing everyone whatever your religious belief may be to have a safe, Blessed and Happy Holiday season.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 24

0602020 wrote:

I would like to receive information on how to reduce stress.

Please call me

Edgar Krabbe

@0602020  Hi Edgar and welcome to the online community.

I am afraid there's some misunderstanding. I don't know anyone here is prepared to give this information over the telephone. Instead, though, you could read the initial post in this thread for tips on how to reduce your stress.

Best wishes,

Epster 

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Info Seeker

Message 5 of 24

I would like to receive information on how to reduce stress.

Thank you.

Edgar Krabbe

Message 6 of 24

t359201w wrote:

This is my first time on this site, I love it.  

I dance to oldies when Im not able to relax in the evening, after 2 dances I can relax enough to quiet my mind.  Also it helps when I garden or talk a walk by the ocean.

Teresa W

@t359201w  Teresa: I'm a big believer in dancing for health. Gardening and walking, too.  How are things going? Are you still exploring the AARP site?

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving

Message 7 of 24

mcmburke wrote:

I must say I've never tried clenching my facial muscles but I certainly will try it next time.  Years ago my Mother told me about splashing cold water on my face and it does work.  I've been in situations where I didn't want to wet my face and placed ice on the back of my neck and that also seemed to help.  Hope it helps.

@mcmburke  Have you tried face clenching yet? Did it work for you?

I've used each method and have found the water to work better most the time.

Message 8 of 24

ip3285 wrote:

I read the Stress-busting rituals, and while they might work for some, I have my own stress-reducing method usually right at my feet - my two large dogs.  If I want to go outside to de-stress, there are my three large goats.  All of my animals help me reduce stress when I have any problem that actually causes stress. 

How can one not relax when several pair of beautiful eyes are looking at you, tails wagging happily, rear ends wiggling with joy because you're paying attention to them?  They, the dogs and the goats, patiently listen to whatever I have to say, even though I don't think they understand a word of it (but sometimes I'm not sure about that.). Their only goal is to be with me.  The don't judge, criticize, give advice, get upset or insulted. They listen. They rub against me, nuzzle me, and when I pet them or brush their coats (the dogs and the goats liked to get brushed) they look at me as if they're saying "more, please". And in return, I feel better. 

Instead of being stressed, petting and talking to the animals relaxes me to the point that I forgot what I was stressed about.  I don't feel the need for chemical relaxants, herbal remedies, or a therapist.  I have a farm full of natural therapists at my fingertips - and right now two of them are lying at my feet (I can't potty train the goats so they have to stay in their own house in the barnyard). 

Get a dog or other animal and stress will become a foreign word! 

@ip3285  You are so wise. Truly. Thanks for generously sharing your world view. It's beautiful. Heart

Message 9 of 24

rockaria wrote:

I have cats.  I have three warm, furry, cuddly, snuggly, purry cats.  Need I say more?  Cat Happy

@rockaria  Kitties! YES!!! Luvs me some felines. Smiley Happy I'm happy your kitties have you and that you have them. Smiley Happy To stress relieving cats!

Message 10 of 24

Ebony9 wrote:

My very sweet affectionate cat, hiking in the woods, working in my yard, exercise of any sort especially my best friends Pilates class.

@Ebony9  All great stress busters. Good, good work. Smiley Happy