AARP Members Enjoy Exclusive Discounts on Travel, Dining and More. Join Today

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Stress-busting Neuroscience Reveals 4 Easy Rituals To Become Stress-Free

Message 11 of 24

amcoffiebean wrote:

Epster! Thank you for a link to a recommended and informative site! Stress is why I retired when common sense told me to keep working while I was healthy and able to keep building up retirement funds. The daily grind of working in an environment that provided good pay and flexibility was, none the less, uncomfortable for me because, my demanding, high maintenance boss stressed out everyone.......for years. 

I retired a year ago because of the stress and feel such freedom. That doesn't mean my life is stress-free so I still need to be able to channel those moments.  I just don't have so many hitting many at one time.

@amcoffiebean  Deep apologies for not seeing your reply and responding in a timely manner. (drops chin to chest)

Hurrah! for retirement and for that being a huge stress buster!  Yay! That is wonderful. I hope you are still having a grand time. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 12 of 24

WAGinWNY wrote:

That's an interesting little article, but I'm surprised that taking a thirty to sixty minute walk wasn't mentioned. (Maybe the dance serves the same purpose.)

@WAGinWNY   True: walking is a great stress buster. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Info Seeker

Message 13 of 24
VERY RELAXING TAKES EDGE OFF
Info Seeker

Message 14 of 24

My very sweet affectionate cat, hiking in the woods, working in my yard, exercise of any sort especially my best friends Pilates class.

Social Butterfly

Message 15 of 24

I have cats.  I have three warm, furry, cuddly, snuggly, purry cats.  Need I say more?  Cat Happy

Highlighted
Social Butterfly

Message 16 of 24

I read the Stress-busting rituals, and while they might work for some, I have my own stress-reducing method usually right at my feet - my two large dogs.  If I want to go outside to de-stress, there are my three large goats.  All of my animals help me reduce stress when I have any problem that actually causes stress. 

How can one not relax when several pair of beautiful eyes are looking at you, tails wagging happily, rear ends wiggling with joy because you're paying attention to them?  They, the dogs and the goats, patiently listen to whatever I have to say, even though I don't think they understand a word of it (but sometimes I'm not sure about that.). Their only goal is to be with me.  The don't judge, criticize, give advice, get upset or insulted. They listen. They rub against me, nuzzle me, and when I pet them or brush their coats (the dogs and the goats liked to get brushed) they look at me as if they're saying "more, please". And in return, I feel better. 

Instead of being stressed, petting and talking to the animals relaxes me to the point that I forgot what I was stressed about.  I don't feel the need for chemical relaxants, herbal remedies, or a therapist.  I have a farm full of natural therapists at my fingertips - and right now two of them are lying at my feet (I can't potty train the goats so they have to stay in their own house in the barnyard). 

Get a dog or other animal and stress will become a foreign word! 

Info Seeker

Message 17 of 24

I must say I've never tried clenching my facial muscles but I certainly will try it next time.  Years ago my Mother told me about splashing cold water on my face and it does work.  I've been in situations where I didn't want to wet my face and placed ice on the back of my neck and that also seemed to help.  Hope it helps.

Gold Conversationalist

Message 18 of 24

Epster! Thank you for a link to a recommended and informative site! Stress is why I retired when common sense told me to keep working while I was healthy and able to keep building up retirement funds. The daily grind of working in an environment that provided good pay and flexibility was, none the less, uncomfortable for me because, my demanding, high maintenance boss stressed out everyone.......for years. 

I retired a year ago because of the stress and feel such freedom. That doesn't mean my life is stress-free so I still need to be able to channel those moments.  I just don't have so many hitting many at one time.

amcoffiebean
Info Seeker +

Message 19 of 24

That's an interesting little article, but I'm surprised that taking a thirty to sixty minute walk wasn't mentioned. (Maybe the dance serves the same purpose.)

Info Seeker

Message 20 of 24

Nice to hear I'm I not alone on this issue (and many more)!!!  This is my first time on any type of social media.

The process of aging is wonderful and terrible at the same time.  I feel happier than I ever have (most of the time).  Knowing my time here is limited has brouhgt me great joy, I feel so alive and in the moment.