Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

On the other hand

I have been working on building my brain connections for some time.  I read a lot of neurology based newsletters and try to apply what I learn.

One technique that really has worked for me is using my "other hand".  It was described to me by my neurologist that using the just your dominant hand for the same task, like eating with a fork, uses the same brain circuits you have had since you began using a fork.  It requires minimal brain activity since you have been doing it forever and know how to do it well.   

He said, and I have read the research, that doing that same activity with your "other hand" creates NEW brain circuits and actually involves both sides of the brain and requires a lot more brain activity over all.   PLUS in building new circuits you build brain power and connections that can be used for all kinds of new things and can replace old tired circuits that may be slowing down.   

The simplest thing to do is to put your computer mouse in your "other hand".  Then try your coffee cup, wine glass and fork.  I even doodle with a pen in my other hand and my handwriting is improving with that hand as well.   

Try it and see!

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Dang, that's harder than I expected! It suddenly feels like my right hand belongs to another person (I'm a lefty).

-Mark

The medicine man at www.medicinemanplantco.com
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP