Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

Omega-3s for Brain Health

Your brain needs a certain amount of fat to function properly. Fats provide energy, help the body absorb essential vitamins, and protect nerve cells and connections. But there are good and bad fats, and too much of the wrong kind throws a monkey wrench into the works, speeding the formation of beta-amyloid plaques. Omega-3 is good fat.

According to new research, cold-water fish is the number one brain-healthy food. To survive in the cold water, the fish need a high concentration of fat, which is why they are full of omega-3 fatty acids 🐟 Besides fish, there are lots of yummy ways to add omega-3 fatty acids to your diet. How do you ensure your brain is getting beneficial omega-3s?

For ideas for prepping your pantry and fresh ways to cook at home, go to Brain-Healthy Home Cooking.

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

It isn't how much beta-amyloid you make but how much gets deposited as plaque.  Getting 7+ hrs sleep insures that the beta-amyloid as you think is removed from your brain while you sleep.  When you concentrate, beta-amyloid is produced. Omega 3 reduces vascular plaque not beta-amyloid plaque

0 Kudos
Contributor

Try Aldi's food store for fresh never frozen Wild Trout Salmon.  It's truly delicious.  Good flavor I'll never eat farm raised again.

Regular Contributor

I shop at Aldi but it’s rare that my stores in south NJ carry actual wild caught salmon. Usually, it’s Atlantic salmon which is farmed. Occasionally they have had wild caught Alaskan salmon

0 Kudos

It’s pretty expensive to buy fresh wild-caught salmon, so we have it rarely. I’m not fond of sardines, but when mixed with tuna for a croquet or salad, it becomes quite bearable, so that’s what I do most of the time. My hubby is easy - he loves canned salmon.

Community Manager
Community Manager

I forgot about tinned fish, thanks for reminding me @candyl230279

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

Use flaxseed in your diet, it has the omegas. I have it in my homemade pancakes and waffles! Yum!!

Conversationalist

Flax seed also contains omega 6 which cancels the benefit of O3. You wind up with an O3 benefit but it isn't as beneficial as fish oil that has O3 DHA. 

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I’m a nurse & remember being in an MD educational class in the 90s where the subject was the crucial nutrients in fresh fish needed for brain health, especially in a developing fetus. One of the MDs was from India & related how one village was said to always test higher in IQ & that supposedly it was because their diet consisted mainly of fish.

I was also told almost 30 years ago, when given a salmon recipe, to always use fresh wild caught salmon & never farmed salmon. I’ve stuck with that suggestion & frequently order wild caught Alaskan salmon from Sea Bear…it costs more but to me it’s healthier & better tasting. If I’m being very lazy, I may just mix a pouch of wild salmon in with a serving of Mac & cheese.

I really have increased the amount of fresh fish in my diet. I’ve also noticed that when I’m eating more salmon, etc, my joint pain seems to ease up.

I do supplement with fish oil capsules but not as much as previously since a cardiologist told me that the omegas in fresh fish are superior to the capsules.

I like to use different herbs when baking my fish, since I really don’t use salt.

Periodic Contributor

Omega-3s are polyunsaturated fatty acids with several health benefits. For decades fish oil has been the "go-to" omega-3 supplement of choice. Recently, though, krill oil is becoming a new favorite source for omega-3s. Krill are small shrimp-like crustaceans that, like some fish, are loaded with omega-3s. Additionally though, krill oil includes something fish oil doesn't have - astaxanthin.

Astaxanthin is a super powerful antioxidant. The antioxidants in astaxanthin are about 300 times as those found in blueberries, the next-most potent source of antioxidants. There's a lot more information about krill oil and astaxanthin in this article.

Conversationalist

John, I read your article and checked up on some claims I was suspicious of. some of its claims.  I am taking 4 ,000,000 mgs of omega 3.  I have not experienced ANY reduction of ADD since I started taking it.  I have inattentive ADD which has no hyperactivity and usually goes unnoticed.  Stimulants do help a great deal but interfere with sleep.  Sleep is essential for any focus problems. 

I couldn't verify the claim that astaxanthin reduces anything measurably in a scholarly article. Those get peer reviewed so I trust them.  While I take a synthetic fish oil for extreme potency my wife takes krill oil because the caps are easier to swallow. 

BTW... blueberries were highlighted as the best food to prevent AD last century but the experiment was biased.  None of the health articles ever picked up on that.  That is why I don't trust health articles. Most of the people who ate blueberries were health nuts who also exercised and didn't smoke.  Running the test again properly showed blueberries are not any better than any colored berry. However, high caffeine levels reduced AD a great deal.  People consuming 5 cups or more have a greater than 50% of NOT getting AD!  The caffeine test has been re-tested since the initial study.  It has always shown caffeine and not antioxidants are key.  It might be as simple as caffeine is a vasodilator and may help flush out arteries in your brain. Maybe it also stimulates your brain and that might help.  .  

0 Kudos

I am looking for the best place in Eureka to buy smoked salmon.  In small amounts. Incidentally can you freeze smoked salmon?  I am looking forward to your advice.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm not sure about the best place in Eureka to buy smoked salmon, but best of luck with that @LindaB75051! You can freeze smoked salmon, but you need to repackage it. I recommend layering - line a container with parchment paper, place two slices of smoked salmon on paper, top with parchment paper, and keep layering. It's best to not leave it in the freezer for longer than 2 months because it loses the smokey flavor.

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

It’s easy you guys.  1000mg fish oil capsules daily contains 300 mg omega 3s.  Good for your brain, heart, and eyes.  You should grab some.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Sounds easy but the omegas from fresh fish are actually better.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I am vegetarian, and I'm having a hard time finding an Omega-3 supplement that doesn't contain animal products or animal by-products.

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Contributor

I recommend Vegetology, a UK company, that has a supplement called Opti3. Two capsules provide 835mg of omega-3’s from micro algae, 300mg EPA, 500mg DHA, and 200iu plant-based D3. I order online from the US, directly from Vegetology’s website. 

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm not sure about supplements @DonnaH707543, but these vegetarian foods are rich in alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), one of the essential omega-3s:

For supplement options, I recommend speaking with your doctor.

Regular Contributor

Right! I forgot about these….I like to add walnuts to my oatmeal, yogurt & cottage cheese.

Contributor

Thanks! 🌷

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

I hosted a dinner party last night, and for appetizers, I made these Smoked Salmon Crackers using bite-sized crackers 😋 I also squeezed some lemon juice on and topped them with a bit of dill. They were tasty and packed with good nutrients!

Regular Contributor

That sounds yummy!
Definitely have to try it….nice change from smoked salmon & cream cheese.

Community Manager
Community Manager

They were very tasty @LindaB75051 and @jw5013387! The crackers got soggy from the cottage cheese, so I'd use different ones next time. Or I'd use farmer's cheese instead, which is a variant of cottage cheese but it's firmer.

0 Kudos

Rachel, that sounds yummy and good for us

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP