Prevention is the best medicine when it comes to avoiding surprise medical bills! Learn more.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Memory Issues :(

Message 1 of 15

Get plenty of omega-3 fats. Evidence suggests that the DHA found in these healthy fats may help prevent Alzheimer's disease and dementia by reducing beta-amyloid plaques. Food sources include cold-water fish such as salmon, tuna, trout, mackerel, seaweed, and sardines. You can also supplement with fish oil.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 15

Wish it were so easy as adding a few things to our diet and taking a walk with a friend. It's much more difficult to avoid the poisons in our diet and surrounding us in the modern world that create a chemical brain drain. I know two people experienced what initially was thought to be early stages of dementia for whom it turned out to be fluoride poisoning - even from tap water or foods prepared with fluoridated tap water. One of them even has hooked up a convoluted system in her shower to avoid the stuff. Her mental acuity has returned, but she remains vigilant. 

This month, 3 studies linking low dose fluoride with neurological and thyroid harm published this month: 

https://www.ehn.org/we-add-it-to-drinking-water-for-our-teeth-but-is-fluoride-hurting-us-2611193177.... 

Today in NY Times on eating an organic diet, cancer instead of brain related, but same principle:  https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/23/well/eat/can-eating-organic-food-lower-your-cancer-risk.html 

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 15
Amen Sandi.
I take a good menopause supplement as well as B3 and vitamin C, it's called MEGAPAUSE ( brand is Nutricelebrity), helps with the hot flashes and sweats and mood.
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 15

I totally agree and believe stress and poor mental health and poor nutrition are killing our minds and our MEMORY CELLS.

A plan can solve.
Stress release and proper perspective.
The use of natural supplements has not been correctly emphasized. Vitamin C and B3 are lifesavers to mental health. Google Dr. Abram Hoffer and Dr. Andrew Saul
Even our eyes can get affected after age 50. I take a eye vitamin to ensure I don't get macular degeneration.
It's called OPTIMAL EYES, and has Lutein and the other AREDS elements. Gives me a level of comfort.

For me, prayer and knowing that I was created for a purpose. I live for others now, not just myself, was also big.

"Memory issues are now common these days. This is due to the stress people are taking nowadays for their work life and family life. This results in depression. To avoid this, you should take a proper sleep of at least 7-8 hours, drink plenty of water, do exercise daily, quit smoking and drinking. Apart from this, you can go for some natural brain boosters as they are enriched with herbal and natural extracts which helps in reducing stress and anxiety levels promoting a proper functioning of the brain. "
Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 15

@Soosie, Soosie, I have no answers for you. This is where we need someone like Mimi! She could probably answer your question. Sorry. N.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 15
I have a couple of questions on the topic of memory loss. My best friend died a few years ago and over a period of a couple of years I had noticed his memory had really changed. During his last six months of life, he became combative and hard to deal with. He would tell me to get out of the nursing home where he was living. I finally learned to handle it by saying, "Make me." He would calm down and soon would be asking when I would be back. Now to a question. Do people become aware of this change in their loss of memory and ability to care for themselves? He was so used to doing for himself that he refused most help until near the end when he could no longer fight. I ask the question about awareness because I have noticed men seem to deny more than women. I hope for myself, I realize things are changing beyond the usual forgetfulness. The reason I mention how men fight this, I have another male friend now who tells the same thing over and over and seems obsessed with talking about subjects (sex) that are not appropriate in some audiences. I have tried to be a friend and try to steer him around some of this, but he gets angry also. He seems to be getting worse and lives alone. I am hoping his daughter will zero in on his problem before long. She is in another state, but seems to be in contact on a regular basis.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 15

Memory issues are now common these days. This is due to the stress people are taking nowadays for their work life and family life. This results in depression. To avoid this, you should take a proper sleep of at least 7-8 hours, drink plenty of water, do exercise daily, quit smoking and drinking. Apart from this, you can go for some natural brain boosters as they are enriched with herbal and natural extracts which helps in reducing stress and anxiety levels promoting a proper functioning of the brain. 

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 15

Environmental poisons aren't helping. A study posted in the National Academy of Sciences journal in April found that misfolded neural tubes is a common link between neurological birth defects in infants commonly found in pregnant women with diabetes and several neurodegenerative diseases, including Alzheimer's, Parkinson's and Huntington's diseases.

In 2015 a team of scientists determined that fluoride, which is one of about 100 "developmental neurotoxicants" per 2009 EPA report, is one of just 21 substances with verifiable human brain poisoning. Mercury, lead and arsenic are also on that list. Another 2015 study found there were more 11 year olds in American schools with hyperactivity in fluoridated regions. 

Call your Congressman - tell him to get the fluoride out of your water. In the meantime, don't even cook or brush your teeth with fluoride. 

• Fluoride connected to neurogenesis/degeneration via structural brain changes:

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 15

As a retired metal health counselor I would sugest taking a good B complex vitamin & fish oil, both of which improve the health of the nervous system, and your brain has the most complex part of your nervous system.  Using memory games such as crosswords, wheel of fortune, scrabble, find the words, etc., also helps, as does reading every day.

Sandi Burkhart
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 15

p76982b

Have you ever heard of the peanut butter smell test for checking for early signs of dementia or Alzheimer’s?

It seems Alzheimer’s affects your sense of smell and the University of Florida developed the peanut butter test to check for any early signs of memory loss due to Alzheimer’s.

One of the AARP community managers posted about it over a year ago which first drew my attention to it. I’ve provided an AARP link below which explains it all to you. It’s under test #3. I don’t know how accurate it is but it’s a simple test.  

http://www.aarp.org/health/conditions-treatments/info-2014/tests-that-could-save-your-life.html

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark