10 things you need to know before voting in the midterm election. Find out more.

Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Memory Issues :(

Message 1 of 11

@Soosie, Soosie, I have no answers for you. This is where we need someone like Mimi! She could probably answer your question. Sorry. N.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 11
I have a couple of questions on the topic of memory loss. My best friend died a few years ago and over a period of a couple of years I had noticed his memory had really changed. During his last six months of life, he became combative and hard to deal with. He would tell me to get out of the nursing home where he was living. I finally learned to handle it by saying, "Make me." He would calm down and soon would be asking when I would be back. Now to a question. Do people become aware of this change in their loss of memory and ability to care for themselves? He was so used to doing for himself that he refused most help until near the end when he could no longer fight. I ask the question about awareness because I have noticed men seem to deny more than women. I hope for myself, I realize things are changing beyond the usual forgetfulness. The reason I mention how men fight this, I have another male friend now who tells the same thing over and over and seems obsessed with talking about subjects (sex) that are not appropriate in some audiences. I have tried to be a friend and try to steer him around some of this, but he gets angry also. He seems to be getting worse and lives alone. I am hoping his daughter will zero in on his problem before long. She is in another state, but seems to be in contact on a regular basis.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 11

Memory issues are now common these days. This is due to the stress people are taking nowadays for their work life and family life. This results in depression. To avoid this, you should take a proper sleep of at least 7-8 hours, drink plenty of water, do exercise daily, quit smoking and drinking. Apart from this, you can go for some natural brain boosters as they are enriched with herbal and natural extracts which helps in reducing stress and anxiety levels promoting a proper functioning of the brain. 

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 11

Environmental poisons aren't helping. A study posted in the National Academy of Sciences journal in April found that misfolded neural tubes is a common link between neurological birth defects in infants commonly found in pregnant women with diabetes and several neurodegenerative diseases, including Alzheimer's, Parkinson's and Huntington's diseases.

In 2015 a team of scientists determined that fluoride, which is one of about 100 "developmental neurotoxicants" per 2009 EPA report, is one of just 21 substances with verifiable human brain poisoning. Mercury, lead and arsenic are also on that list. Another 2015 study found there were more 11 year olds in American schools with hyperactivity in fluoridated regions. 

Call your Congressman - tell him to get the fluoride out of your water. In the meantime, don't even cook or brush your teeth with fluoride. 

• Fluoride connected to neurogenesis/degeneration via structural brain changes:

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 11

As a retired metal health counselor I would sugest taking a good B complex vitamin & fish oil, both of which improve the health of the nervous system, and your brain has the most complex part of your nervous system.  Using memory games such as crosswords, wheel of fortune, scrabble, find the words, etc., also helps, as does reading every day.

Sandi Burkhart
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 11

p76982b

Have you ever heard of the peanut butter smell test for checking for early signs of dementia or Alzheimer’s?

It seems Alzheimer’s affects your sense of smell and the University of Florida developed the peanut butter test to check for any early signs of memory loss due to Alzheimer’s.

One of the AARP community managers posted about it over a year ago which first drew my attention to it. I’ve provided an AARP link below which explains it all to you. It’s under test #3. I don’t know how accurate it is but it’s a simple test.  

http://www.aarp.org/health/conditions-treatments/info-2014/tests-that-could-save-your-life.html

Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 11

@p76982b... Hopefully you are staying hydrated???? N.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 11

@retiredtraveler - Good point; the brain & body affect each other!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 11

Well, I'm certainly not a doctor, but I do know that severe anemia can cause 'brain fog'. The question is: Are you aggressively addressing the anemia? One should not be 'severely' anemic if addressing the underlying cause of the anemia. Do you need B12 injections? Are you eating the proper foods? Are you taking supplements?

I would assume your doctor is on this and has determined if you have absorption issues, drink too much, have celiac disease. That is, he has found the underlying issues or ruled some out.

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 11

I realize this isn't an instant fix, but I'm reading a wonderful book titled, "Why Isn't My Brain Working?" by Datis Kharrazian. It's a fat book, but someone a layman can understand, and filled with case studies of real people who had mental & physical issues, that were due to brain/body imbalances. The book also mentions the doctors in these various case studies, so you might find someone in your area who wants to help normalize the body .. rather than just prescribe a medication that only masks symptoms.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views