Make the best choices for your Medicare needs with AARP’s Medicare Made Easy. Try it today!

Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Keep your mind challenged and sharp that's the way you will stay young forever!

Message 1 of 13

I was also the studious one enjoying school, worked on crossword and other types of puzzles, but after dealing with both parents with forms of dementia, and reading numerous articles on slowing down or preventing dementia, I began preparing myself prior to my mother's death with a plan to stay active as my family lives 1300 miles away.  I attend a program sponsored by a local hospital that provides not only free physical and mental screenings, but a program that includes trivial pursuit types of games, a breakfast club with lectures on topics of interest for the older adult and recently a debate program.  I belong to a coloring group and go to the town's senior center about 2 - 4 times a month.  At home, I always have my computer on and read the news which of late is really getting to me, play games via Pogo (Jungle Gin, Word Womp, Sudoku and some really great solitaire games they have). I do grid logic problems and also buy the Sudoku puzzle books.  I read, watch the news on TV (again very disturbing), watch a variety of different types of programming.  I also work on a website pertaining to Victorian lifestyle in 1876 Victorian England which I started back in 1999 as well as a smaller personal web site.  I hand code the sites which I learned how to do myself and create some of the graphics used on these sites using digital art programs.  I try to walk at least 1/2 hour to 1 hour a day now that I'm no longer working and am trying to expand that to including exercises for balance.  And as a previous poster has written I maintain my apartment by myself (could not afford a house in Westchester County NY, but was able to buy into a cooperative).  I could probably do more but my sister who I love dearly calls me 10-15 times a day.  I also now cook a bit more for myself than I used to; I don't really enjoy it, but one does what they have to do.  I also look occasionally to see if I can find a part time job but it's all full time around here.  Don't know how I feel about volunteering . . . I guess that would all depend on what it was for.  After caring for both parents in their later years, I do know that caregiving is something I NEVER want to do again.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Keep your mind challenged and sharp that's the way you will stay young forever!

Message 2 of 13

This might sound a little strange but I volunteer to sew doll clothes.  We purchase and repurpose  used dolls.  Then sew a wardrobe for these dolls and they are sent to children in Appalachia.  These children are among the poorest in our Country.  The group is on FB "Dolls for Appalachia".  It keeps my mind and hands busy.  Every outfit is a challenge to fit the different dolls.  I did mention that this was a little strange?  BTW if anyone is interested check out FaceBook.  They also need people to sew clothes for these children.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 13

I want to be you when I'm in my 80's!  I retired from a 25 year career working in politics, and now work in criminal justice part time and aging services part time.  Your post has inspired me.  I CAN do more at age 65.  Thank you.  So glad you posted.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 13

I do crossword puzzles, play scrabble, and other word games.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 13

I play World of Solitaire but, if I lose, I go back and try to figure out how to win the game.  I can do this because WOS has an undo feature.  According to my statistics, I win 47% of the time and, according to WOS statistics, the average player wins 14% of the time.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 13

Play the free online game TextTwist, or download and play Super TextTwist ($25 for lifetime license, lets you keep a game going after logging off).

This is an excellent game, and will keep your vocabulary sharp, especially the timed version.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 13

I play Elevate and Lumosity every day.  These are game apps with free versions I highly recommend.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 13

@SateeshL .. Handoff for you. My Grandpa also facing the same problem. When he crossing the age of 70+. He loss is memory day by day and he couldn't remember me. that time I heard about the product called piracetam. it helps my grandpa to recover his memory active. 

I can't imagine that time when my grandpa call name. Its wonderful moment for me.

Now he started an insurance company on his own. It goes well. I am really happy for him to have.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 13

I retired from a job as a medical transcriptionist for 18 years at 64 yrs old.  I started a new career at the age of 66, in politics being elected to the position of City Clerk which I served 16 years and retired in 2017 at the age of 82.  It was a challange being that I had no municipal government experience. After I retired I was asked by my State Representative to fill in for his assistant whenever needed which I am currently doing.  I keep very active, volunteer as a teacher of 5th grade religious classes, campaign for all the candidates I feel will do their best, attend forums and lectures regarding health issues (especially dementia and Alzheimers), political, computer knowlege and current events.  I read the paper daily and watch mostly informative programs so that I can keep learning.  I walk almost daily, dance almost every Friday.  Am told I look to be in my middle-upper 60's. Enjoy board games, playing cards, social functions and am physically fit at the age of 83.  I also do mental quizzes on the computer, crossword puzzles and word finder games

I clean my big house without help, have a vegetable garden, cook and bake.

I am looking forward to an active life into my 90;s.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 13

I was forging ahead in my 50's and 60's but have recently come to a screeching halt in my very early 70's. I suddenly bought into the mistaken notion that I'm now 'too old' to put myself out there, to get my work noticed, to refine and maybe display my talents. Now I will evict those demons from my mind and return to a logical, positive state of mind. 

Kudos
Views