Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Concierge

Healthy Habits

Do you have a daily routine to keep your brain healthy?  What is it?  Share it here with others.”

Honored Social Butterfly

@AnaM573461 wrote:
One of the Healthy habbits I strongly follow is to always carry an anti hangover whenever I am going out for party or boozing, so that I can always be sober in morning without hangover!! @AnaM573461 - Actually, an even healthier habit would be to NOT drink so much, that you'd wind up with a hangover.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

A positive actitud is the best. When I wake up in the morning my first word is say to God thanks 🙏 for one ☝️ more day on planet earth 🌍 and thankful for my family, because without a healthy and peaceful life nothing is possible. I love tea and I drink one of my favorite🍵  I love to read a good book 📚, sing 🎤exercise, paint 🎨, watch a good documentary history and science, I love to watch a good movie without violence, I love to be relax with nothing in my mind, because life is the most amazing gift 🎁 that we need to take care. We live only once. I hope that we humans can live in the world of peace ☮️ and love ❤️ . NOT VIOLENCE. 

Contributor

Find a playground with adult size equipment

they are everywhere ! Of course,taking a walk or using the stairs and stretching everyday is essential but there are huge benefits to being bold with your movement 

I do headstands and handstands (against a wall at first ) climb on  a jungle gym ,‘skin the cat’ on the rings  ,jump rope, or walking along a wall foward and backward 

Exercising like you did as a kid is terrific 

Even if you are out of shape your body will surprise you w how quickly she remembers 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I manage my finances, which requires a high level of attention to detail.

Since I've been retired, I've been an officer in some large volunteer organization, and always looking for ways to improve their ways of doing things. Right now, I'm trying to create a fillable form, which I did many years ago at work .. but some of the guidelines don't work, and I don't know anyone else who's done it & can help. 

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
0 Kudos
Contributor

I do Word Search puzzles and Crossword puzzles which are challenging.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Every morning I read my bible, study my Sunday School lesson (I'm a Sunday School teacher) and complete a crossword puzzle.  It calms my soul and rejuvenates my mind. I love my mornings.

Contributor

I am not one of those who wake up and ready to jump into the day. But my mental and physical attitude is very important. So, what I do to get started for the day is first to make my coffee and while enjoying my first cup I open my G Pad. There are some great brain teasers and games to jump-start my brain cells. I note my progression from the day before and if I am within the range that's ok but there are times my scores are higher. That is when I take notice and record what I have done differently. It may be the way I slept or many other differences. But the point is to keep my brain alert and possibly improving. I have noticed when I have higher scores with my brain games my day is much more productive. That gives me incentives to increase my brain and mind function each morning. For me, this is easier and better than immediate exercise and telling myself I will have a great day.   

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Sounds like a good way to start the day.

Every day I make it a habit to learn a "NEW WORD" and use it in a sentence.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I remember doing this when in school....good thing to think about again.   I am bringing up a lot of my writings from 8 - 10 years ago and reworking some.  I think that it is time I begin writing again.

Contributor

Food for the brain and changings

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

The best thing to maintain a healthy brain is achieved by doing the things you like. Personally, I love reading a good book, I love painting because it makes my brain invent and reinvent itself, I like to sing because I feel like a true artist and I enjoy it very much. Our brain needs to be in an active environment but also relaxed where it feels comfortable and so that it can function properly.

RELAX YOURSELF

RELAX YOUR MIND

RELAX YOUR BODY

RELAX YOUR SOUL

RELAX YOUR LIFE WITH SIMPLICITY BECAUSE IT IS PRICELESS.

SILENCE:  NOTHING IS MORE IMPORTANT IN LIFE THAN THE WONDERFUL TASTE OF SILENCE, BECAUSE IT BRINGS PEACE TO YOUR BEING. JUST RELAX YOUR BRAIN.

Regular Contributor

Well said
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Every morning when I open my eyes and before I put my feet on the floor, I say, “Thank you, God, for a new day.” Much has been written about gratitude and how it can improve your mental strength and open doors to possibilities. I find that having an attitude of gratitude is one of the easiest ways to improve one’s satisfaction with life. Now, I confess, there are some mornings when I open my eyes and making a quick assessment of the day about to unfold, I will add… “Thank you, God, for a new day. Now, help me get through it.” This simple prayer always lifts me up.

Contributor

I do the same and indeed it gives a good start to the day with gratitude for what the good Lord gives to me.  

In 2010 I started a living healthy journey and have lost 128 lbs so far, it's indeed a journey and lifestyle change.  My best advice to anyone is to make SMALL goals they are so much easier to reach. The second piece of advice when making any change is to have patience, it doesn't happen over night it takes time and commitment. I don't take any meds and my form of exercise has only been walking and just being out and about enjoying life.

Conversationalist

See someone with no smile?  Give him yours!  I try to say good morning, good afternoon, or evening with a smile to people I meet.  Maybe they will return the greeting or maybe not, but it will make you feel better inside.

Regular Contributor

For better brain health, I try to live by Eleanor Roosevelt's terrific quote:  "Do something every day that scares you." 

Some personal examples: I ran for an elected office in my community; I taught myself how to do a book proposal and had an award-winning book published by AARP ("The Single Woman's Guide to Retirement"); I traveled to interesting places (such as an African safari ) that tested my level of feeling in control; I submitted my "talent" (I can speak backwards fluently) to the Tyra Banks show and was invited to fly to New York to be on her show; and I took up tennis for the first time in my late 40s and now play for fun and on two doubles' teams.

Remember that stress is not necessarily bad.  There is good stress - it's called "eustress" - and it can  be exhilarating.  Research shows that tasks that are novel and complex may help us produce more nerve cells connections. Trying to do things that take me out of my comfort zone is a great way to live.  Of course, I don't always succeed...but I'm almost always happy that I tried.

Jan Cullinane, author, The Single Woman's Guide to Retirement (AARP)

Regular Contributor

Wake with a positive attitude about the day and ready to be happy,productive for that day.Big  on exercise and eating right.Always try to learn something new and challenging each day of the week and don’t give up if you feel it’s to hard,stay with it.What you accomplish on that day makes for a great day. Happy 2019😄

Bronze Conversationalist

I actually have several daily habits or routines which I attribute to my brain health.  First is to exercise every day, and that could be anything from run/walk, going to the gym, swimming (in warmer weather), petting my dogs and goats, or doing work on my farm with my loving animals watching me. Second is to listening to music at dinnertime, preferably Baroque or Renaissance. Third is to play music on my piano or recorder or write articles for an online magazine.  And last is to communicate daily via email with relatives and penpals who live either in other states or other countries (pen pals).  And I'll add one more - I try to respond to all the questions posed in the AARP community.  These habits/routines give my brain diversity as well as a mental and emotional uplift.  I guess these things must be working because I earned a PhD in Natural Medicine in March.   P.S. I'm looking forward to my 80th birthday in July.

Periodic Contributor

Frequent Social Butterfly, your message is very encouraging because at age 66 I am considering working towards a Masters in Nutrition.  I'm proud of you.

Bronze Conversationalist

@tynaro: Go for it, and when you finish your degree please let us all know so we can celebrate with you!
Periodic Contributor

Very impressive! Congrats and continued success!

Regular Contributor

My father always said one had to stretch themselves daily.   I play about 4 different mind games daily as well as read and stay active with young people as well as those my own age.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP