From festivals to better food, amusement parks are adding features for older adults. Take a look at what's new!

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Healthy Habits

Message 11 of 25

Every day I make it a habit to learn a "NEW WORD" and use it in a sentence.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: SOME OF THE HEALTHIEST HABITS FOR OUR BRAIN

Message 12 of 25
Well said
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 25

Food for the brain and changings

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

SOME OF THE HEALTHIEST HABITS FOR OUR BRAIN

Message 14 of 25

The best thing to maintain a healthy brain is achieved by doing the things you like. Personally, I love reading a good book, I love painting because it makes my brain invent and reinvent itself, I like to sing because I feel like a true artist and I enjoy it very much. Our brain needs to be in an active environment but also relaxed where it feels comfortable and so that it can function properly.

RELAX YOURSELF

RELAX YOUR MIND

RELAX YOUR BODY

RELAX YOUR SOUL

RELAX YOUR LIFE WITH SIMPLICITY BECAUSE IT IS PRICELESS.

SILENCE:  NOTHING IS MORE IMPORTANT IN LIFE THAN THE WONDERFUL TASTE OF SILENCE, BECAUSE IT BRINGS PEACE TO YOUR BEING. JUST RELAX YOUR BRAIN.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 25

I do the same and indeed it gives a good start to the day with gratitude for what the good Lord gives to me.  

In 2010 I started a living healthy journey and have lost 128 lbs so far, it's indeed a journey and lifestyle change.  My best advice to anyone is to make SMALL goals they are so much easier to reach. The second piece of advice when making any change is to have patience, it doesn't happen over night it takes time and commitment. I don't take any meds and my form of exercise has only been walking and just being out and about enjoying life.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 25

Every morning when I open my eyes and before I put my feet on the floor, I say, “Thank you, God, for a new day.” Much has been written about gratitude and how it can improve your mental strength and open doors to possibilities. I find that having an attitude of gratitude is one of the easiest ways to improve one’s satisfaction with life. Now, I confess, there are some mornings when I open my eyes and making a quick assessment of the day about to unfold, I will add… “Thank you, God, for a new day. Now, help me get through it.” This simple prayer always lifts me up.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 25
@tynaro: Go for it, and when you finish your degree please let us all know so we can celebrate with you!
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 25

See someone with no smile?  Give him yours!  I try to say good morning, good afternoon, or evening with a smile to people I meet.  Maybe they will return the greeting or maybe not, but it will make you feel better inside.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 25

For better brain health, I try to live by Eleanor Roosevelt's terrific quote:  "Do something every day that scares you." 

Some personal examples: I ran for an elected office in my community; I taught myself how to do a book proposal and had an award-winning book published by AARP ("The Single Woman's Guide to Retirement"); I traveled to interesting places (such as an African safari ) that tested my level of feeling in control; I submitted my "talent" (I can speak backwards fluently) to the Tyra Banks show and was invited to fly to New York to be on her show; and I took up tennis for the first time in my late 40s and now play for fun and on two doubles' teams.

Remember that stress is not necessarily bad.  There is good stress - it's called "eustress" - and it can  be exhilarating.  Research shows that tasks that are novel and complex may help us produce more nerve cells connections. Trying to do things that take me out of my comfort zone is a great way to live.  Of course, I don't always succeed...but I'm almost always happy that I tried.

Jan Cullinane, author, The Single Woman's Guide to Retirement (AARP)

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 25

Frequent Social Butterfly, your message is very encouraging because at age 66 I am considering working towards a Masters in Nutrition.  I'm proud of you.

Kudos
Views