You can help to pick the winner of the 2018 Movies for Grownups Readers' Choice award! Vote now for your favorite film.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Have you ever had a head injury?

Message 1 of 16

YES I have. When I lived at home my step-dad was drunk, came home mad and hit me across the face in the doorway. I literally saw stars when the side of head hit the entryway part of the door. It scared me and him. I ran away from home, became amancipated and never looked back.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 16

I received my worst head injury in my early 20’s. While playing soccer, I jumped up to head the ball and an opponent came underneath me, which flipped me so that I came down on my head. I was knocked unconscious and when I came to, everyone was around telling me, “Don’t worry, the ambulance is coming.” I had no idea why - however I had suffered a grand mal seizure when I hit the ground. 

I ended up in the hospital for 5 days, but when I came out, continued to play soccer for the next 35 years. However, several years after that incident I started getting regular DAILY headaches and also migraines several times a month. I just started a new medication which I hope will help. Over the years I have tried every medication and procedure imaginable but nothing has worked (except Excedrine and Imitrex temporarily). However, I know there are many headache/migraine sufferers who are in much worse condition than me, so I try to focus on the positive side. Hopefully this new medication will help!

Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 16

Not that I can recall.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 16

I fell off a stone wall unto a paved road.  When I came to, all I saw was everything in black and white.  Eventually the colors came back  Also suffered a shoulder broke in 2 places.  Still have a slight balance problem due to the concussion.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 16

I was knocked unconscious while working in a coal mine in 1980. A rock fell out of the top and struck me in top of the head. I had a hard hat on but the rock still knocked me to the mine floor and knocked me out. I did not come too until they got me out of the mine. I was sent to the ER by ambulance. I spent three days in the hospital. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 16

Yes I was knocked out in a bad auto accident when I lived in Texas with my family. I was rear ended by a F-150 pickup truck my Grandma on my dad's side was with me because she was living with us at the time. I went across a bridge,left lane stopped on left shoulder I remember coming to being in a accident and trying to stop the car. My seat was laying in the back seat and my dad after coming home from a errand and hearing about the wreck told me my grandma's seat was broken to. We didn't go to er I just was bruised up from the seat belt. I got hit at a dead stop because I stopped to turn left to take my grandma home from her beauty appt to get her hair done.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 16

I used to have a drinking problem and would blackout.  One night, I went to the bathroom blacked out.  I tripped, hit my face against a wall and broke my nose. I woke up the next morning and found a washcloth with my blood on it. I don't remember any of it. I'm lucky I didn't have a brain injury, but I shattered the bridge of my nose and had a 4 day stay after surgery.  I cannot properly blow my nose.  Happily, I'm sober now.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 16

I have been knocked unconcious and I don't know how long I was out. I do know that for awhile I had headaches and I didn't remember how it happened. I was in my teens and my mom, brother and me were clearing weeds out of some property that belonged to us. My doctor prescribed pain pills for the headaches that didn't last very long.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 16

I started having seizures after being knocked unconscious in 1961 playing football.  Fortunately these were mostly controlled by medication throughout by adult life.  However after I retiredd I began to experience global amnesia.  Even with medication I am no longer able to safely drive a vehicle!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 16

When I was about 47 yrs old, I got taken out by a very happy, very LARGE Bernese Mountain Dog puppy!  She was definitely too large for my inseam as she chrged between my legs and slammed me into the side of a house.  Not sure how long I was out, but I was driven to the emergency room by a friend and was immediately asked where to fax the doctor's orders to take off of work for a month... apparently I couldn't even complete sentences.  I remember how frustrated I was not being able to recall the words I wanted to use.  That eventually came back, but I do still suffer memory recall issues.

Kudos
Views