If you suspect you're a scam target, AARP's fraud helpline is here for you. Learn more.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Have you ever had a head injury?

Message 1 of 19

Unfortunately I have had 3 concussions I can remember and a hairline fractured skull for which I was hospitalised. I now have some memory loss on occasion, but since these occured before age 25 and I am now 67, not sure whether the loss is from that or just life. I never felt limited by it though, even though the US military deferred me twice physically.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 19

I had a fall (actually fell off a stonewall unto an asphalt driveway and suffered a bad concussion and several broken bones in my shoulder.  Since I was knocked out from the fall, it was delclaired a concussion, and because of the concussion I could not have any pain meds for the broken bones.  I immediately following the concussion had a balance problem.  I am now 7 months into the concussion and had a lot of PT, and I still have a balance problem, but only on my rt.side.  I too was very foggy for awhile but that has cleared and I'm beginning to realize that I might always have a balance problem.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 19

It is crazy. It's been 3 months since my brain injuries occurred, and my memory and time perception is extremely impaired. It still seems to me that it's 2 1/2 months ago, like almost none of the time has passed. It's hard to remember much of anything.

It's disorienting and very frustrating. You watch as it seems that everyone else is living their lives and life is just passing you by as you are stuck.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 19

YES I have. When I lived at home my step-dad was drunk, came home mad and hit me across the face in the doorway. I literally saw stars when the side of head hit the entryway part of the door. It scared me and him. I ran away from home, became amancipated and never looked back.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 19

I received my worst head injury in my early 20’s. While playing soccer, I jumped up to head the ball and an opponent came underneath me, which flipped me so that I came down on my head. I was knocked unconscious and when I came to, everyone was around telling me, “Don’t worry, the ambulance is coming.” I had no idea why - however I had suffered a grand mal seizure when I hit the ground. 

I ended up in the hospital for 5 days, but when I came out, continued to play soccer for the next 35 years. However, several years after that incident I started getting regular DAILY headaches and also migraines several times a month. I just started a new medication which I hope will help. Over the years I have tried every medication and procedure imaginable but nothing has worked (except Excedrine and Imitrex temporarily). However, I know there are many headache/migraine sufferers who are in much worse condition than me, so I try to focus on the positive side. Hopefully this new medication will help!

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 19

Not that I can recall.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 19

I fell off a stone wall unto a paved road.  When I came to, all I saw was everything in black and white.  Eventually the colors came back  Also suffered a shoulder broke in 2 places.  Still have a slight balance problem due to the concussion.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 19

I was knocked unconscious while working in a coal mine in 1980. A rock fell out of the top and struck me in top of the head. I had a hard hat on but the rock still knocked me to the mine floor and knocked me out. I did not come too until they got me out of the mine. I was sent to the ER by ambulance. I spent three days in the hospital. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 19

Yes I was knocked out in a bad auto accident when I lived in Texas with my family. I was rear ended by a F-150 pickup truck my Grandma on my dad's side was with me because she was living with us at the time. I went across a bridge,left lane stopped on left shoulder I remember coming to being in a accident and trying to stop the car. My seat was laying in the back seat and my dad after coming home from a errand and hearing about the wreck told me my grandma's seat was broken to. We didn't go to er I just was bruised up from the seat belt. I got hit at a dead stop because I stopped to turn left to take my grandma home from her beauty appt to get her hair done.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 19

I used to have a drinking problem and would blackout.  One night, I went to the bathroom blacked out.  I tripped, hit my face against a wall and broke my nose. I woke up the next morning and found a washcloth with my blood on it. I don't remember any of it. I'm lucky I didn't have a brain injury, but I shattered the bridge of my nose and had a 4 day stay after surgery.  I cannot properly blow my nose.  Happily, I'm sober now.

Kudos
Views