Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

Everyday Reasoning

problem solving.jpgWe solve problems every day, one right after the other. Deciding what to do, when to do and how to do it is problem-solving. Every day I think about and plan the meals I am going to make, and then I act. What are the common problems that you solve?

Specific exercises and practice may increase your problem-solving skills. Problem-solving skills are vital to have as you age because they help you maintain your independence.

Want to take more control of your daily life and routines? Get started with the Everyday Reasoning Challenge from AARP Staying Sharp now.

I take our veterans to Salt Lake Veterans Hospital, but haven't done it for a while, because of covid, I visit our older veterans in our state and make sure they are OK but that is what the VFW does for our vets. I sometimes even help our veterans with help and sometimes take them out to dinner. I belong to our home town veterans group in Lava Hot Springs , called Portneuf Veterans Club, we do Honor Guard rIghts to our veterans THAT PASS AWAY, and also in Soda Springs, ID

for the Veterans of Foreign Wars Post. I keep busy always helping even our people in Soda Springs, ID

Community Manager
Community Manager

thank you for helping our veterans. it's so essential that helpers like you exist and i appreciate your kind and caring heart 💜

Trusted Contributor

nothing major, all i "solve" is what to get at the grocery store so i can watch my weight. i gain so easily. i have to watch what i eat so buying at store is a big problem but i do occasionally get some cheesecake once in a while. everyone needs a treat here & there!

Community Manager
Community Manager

determining a diet that works for you can be tough to solve! i support your occasional cheesecake indulgence - i love cheesecake! what would life be without dessert?

Bronze Conversationalist

The most important problem right now that my wife and I face, like so many families I'm sure, is trying to keep ourselves safe during this pandemic while being there for others. We've learned a lot in the past 15 years of caregiving for our parents that it is very important to take care of ourselves so that we can be there for others. We mask up, wipe our groceries and mail down, and have no get-togethers with family or friends. It hurts, especially in regards to our children and grandchildren, but we would rather be safe than sorry. We didn't think our retirement would be like this but we believe there is a light at the end of the tunnel. We believe in science.

Contributor

Deciding what to do (first), when to do and HOW to do it ..."   Very difficult when faced with many serious problems !!

Community Manager
Community Manager

I completely understand where you are coming from. It's very difficult and overwhelming to problem solve when facing many serious and complicated problems. Have you found other helpful ways to solve problems?

Contributor

That is one of the reasons I retired, so I do not have to solve problems every day, I now have time to do a Scarlett O'Hara, "I can't think about that today, I'll think about that tomorrow" .  I believe that by the time you are a certain age you should have enough life experience to apply to everyday life that you do not need a lot of time to do problem-solving.

Contributor

Even if retired, for many people "problem-solving" depends on the problem(s) one is facing (e.g. financial, and maybe health-related), which do not have simple solutions. 

Super Contributor

Being a small business owner, my days are filled with nothing but problem solving. Lol! Like with your meal planning, a big one for me is analyzing sales to determine when I need to make the next batch of products. 

The other daily puzzle is developing new products...determining what the market needs, formulating said product (balancing cost, availability, FDA regulations, potential interactions, etc), getting packaging designed and made...it's juggling on a whole other level!!

-Mark

The medicine man at www.medicinemanplantco.com
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP