Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Emotional Health

Message 11 of 28

@ip3285wrote:

I've been running for 37 years.  Now, at age 78, I can't do long runs like I did several years ago, but even a short run still makes me feel great.  It seems that as soon as my running shoes hit the road I leave stress behind me.    

Hi @ip3285  (It seems to me that I missed answering you on some or the other thread. Sorry. I've been swamped and am now recovering from an acute case of sinusitis.)

Anyway: yes! Agreed! Even while I've been suffering with this stuffy head I've been getting in 2-4 miles walks and short mini-trampoline sessions along with floor exercises. They have helped me feel better in the midst of feeling awful. (Truth.)

When I'm not congested, a quick all-out bike ride will help clear my head, get my body humming and serves to return me to my desk in warrior mode. 

May your running habits continue to serve you well. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 28

@vjklanderwrote:

Actually, I've found a strong sense of personal responsibility works for everyone, regardless if they follow any religion or not.

@vjklander  I have to agree with this. Without that solid sense of personal responsibility, there really is no cornerstone. 

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 28

I've been running for 37 years.  Now, at age 78, I can't do long runs like I did several years ago, but even a short run still makes me feel great.  It seems that as soon as my running shoes hit the road I leave stress behind me.    

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 28

Actually, I've found a strong sense of personal responsibility works for everyone, regardless if they follow any religion or not.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 28

I have found that if a person allows Jesus to enter into their heart and they know they are only traveling through this earthly life for a short time, they can deal with anything that comes along. Eternity, in Heaven with Jesus, will not be so far away in compaarison to anytime that we spend here on earth.

Thank you Jesus for coming down here to show us how to join you later.

Also there isn't anything that can happen here on earth that compare to spending eternity without Jesus. Romans 10:9-10; John 10:27-30.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 28

I agree with  most of the answers here. for myself, because I have medical issues ( i.e. leukemia, diabetes, Afib etc ) that can contribute to chemical imbalances/depression, as well as medications that do the same, I get a physical check up, complete with chemical blood work to find out if it is an additional /exsisting health issues or medication. If it is, I get it treated. I learned to "know" my body/moods, and what is "normal " for me. I also develop my faith in God, thru prayer, music  and scripture meditation. Walking helps relieve tension and I have a great support team in my pastor, his wife and close friends, to talk things over. As a result I seldon get depressed or a case of the blues... So I count my Blessings and keep on moving and growing.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 28

Thank you for your reply. My coping habits are similar. So knowing I'm on track is reassuring. Happy regards from Las Vegas Nevada. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 28

I love reading the community blogs of what people are going through in their depression of life or mental health. For myself I have bipolar and PTSD from the military. And I am soon to be 65 years old and find that reading, taking walks with my dogs and exercises daily helps cope with everything. But also I put first God in everything I do.

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 28

Walking is my exercise, and I also read, do puzzles, play games to keep my mind active. I try and read my bible often for strength and comfort in my daily life: My diet I am doing better. When you are 72 you

like a cake or pie some time, but I try to eat better every day. i can do every thing for my self to God be the praise and glory:

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 28

I'm sort of retired from a successful career in banking. Retired to a horse farm with 17 horses (our own and boarders) that requires a fair amount of physical work. I'm the gury who fixes all the broken fences, equipment, etc. We do this because of the kids who come here to learn how to ride and care for the animals.

I also provide support systems to smaller financial institutions on managing compliance with existing and new regulatory requirements. If you want to see how well your brain is functioning read a Federal Regulation!

P.S. not into either of these for the money, but raither the satisfaction of giving, watching young people grow into responsible adults, the excersie and the mental stimulus.At 74 I feel pretty fullfilled. Life is good.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors